Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Virtual Motor City Updated! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I see them pop up on the board every now and again, I thought you guys might be interested to know that we just added 20,000 more images to the Virtual Motor City web site, bringing the total to a little over 36,000 images. The searching is still a little sticky, so if there is something you are looking for, but not finding, send an e-mail to reutherav@wayne.edu and I can look it up for you.

Have fun!

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?c=vmc;page=index

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spectacular photo site.

Thank you very much indeed for the link.

the good rev.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 1 million.

I love the site, and use it often.

Keep up the great work!

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had a brainstorm for a great project... taking these photos along with the property maps we see used so often and making a virtual 3-D model of Detroit each decade. Be able to show the progressoin and development of the physical form over the last 100 years would be somthing even more amazing than this great site. Thanks!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for putting up those great DetNews pics up on the net, they're invaluable for fitting the pieces together.

I've got to get a bigger hard drive.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit1976.naviciti.co m/

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3978
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Aoife! [And there goes a whole bunch of hours from my life. :-)]

That is a great service you & the folks at the Reuther are providing.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious...when browsing by decade why are there no images for the 1900s ?

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome Sight! Thanks

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit--I saw your post at 11:00 PM last night and found many wonders. Getting up this AM was not easy!

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure what happened to the 1900s search- I'll check with the webmaster. There are only a few subjects that fall within that decade that we actually had dates for- the majority (that we suspect are from that decade) were undated. The only two I recall off the top of my head being dated before 1910 were of fishermen mending nets and some of the photos of the Jewish neighborhood on the lower east side.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.