Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hastings Street at the River « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The directional signs on the riverwalk have the name of the cross street at the top. The first one west of the carousel says "Hastings". Do you think someone was giving a nod to Detroit's past, or just using an old map?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be the approximate location of Hastings near the river. Schweizer Place is Hastings.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely a nod to the past. Hastings Street doesn't exist anywhere today.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it exists for a couple blocks just south of east grand I believe it turns into oakland to the north of east grand.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on July 09, 2007)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UO is correct, Hastings Street is about 2 blocks long. Begins at Harper, and runs north. It is right next to I75.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9541
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hastings Street Ballroom is at the corner of Milwaukee and Hastings, although the entrance for the plays is on the west side of the building.

This is a very cool nod to our bulldozed past.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hastings is essentially the southbound I-75 frontage road.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

takenover under cobo and the slum clearance initiatives they would have planned I-75 to go straight up oakland but they did not want to upset ford who wanted it to run along dequinder from 94 on up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.