Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Automobile's "Golden" year or decade « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think was Detroit's best year or decade as the Motor Capital?

I realize that's a wide open question.
1910-20 Huge growth and Henry couldn't build cars fast enough. Lots of smaller company competition though and was the quality any good?
1920-1930 The best years and decline of the Model-T and the rise of Chevy. Many companies went out of business.
1930-1940 The Depression years. The greatest decade for beautiful metal though.
1940-1950 The War years. Nothing was produced the first half of the decade and the second half saw some bland designs.
1950-1960 great designs, not much competition but Packard went downhill and Ford was in trouble.
1960-1970 (My decade pick) The Big Three had some competition from AMC and foreign cars were rare except for The Bug. What a time to be an executive.
1970-1980 Ouch. Gas crisis. Rust. Square cars.
1980-1990 Ouch part II.
1990-2000 There were some good years in there.
2000-2007 Ouch part III????

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1910-20 - You just can't beat starting the whole thing.

followed by

1960-1970 - That's just sexy stuff.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1950-1960: the age of excess in styling (along with some fine designs by Virgil Exner and Harley Earl), the horsepower race, the emergence of many modern mechanical systems (power steering and brakes, self-adjusting brakes, reliable automatic transmissions, torsion-bar suspension from Chrysler, automotive air conditioning). Longer-lower-wider!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always liked that '59 Dodge with the huge tailfins. Must have been like driving a space ship.

I'll go the 1950-1960 years. Every new unveiling was a thrill.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would pick the years 1947-1953. It was a renaissance of sorts, in my mind anyway. The war was over and Detroit got back to work designing and building cars. They weren't overly styled like cars later in the decade. Designers were just finding their place, sort of the infancy of the muscle car. Engineers were using technology developed during WWII. Cars such as the lead sleds, 1949 Fords, 1952 Oldsmobiles and 1948 Caddys always catch my eye.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would split the peak decade into 1955-1965. The new large-bore short stroke high compression V-8s (beginning with the 1949 Cadillac) ushered in an era of durable power, matched by styling success and excess (Harley Earl vs. Virgil Excess, ooops, Exner). The build quality of those big fin cars was pretty shaky, and gawd, did they lke to rust.
The big three buried the "little five" (hence the name "big three") and had the whole party to themselves, except for schoolteachers who bought Volkswagens and that one weird family on the block that had a Rambler.
By 1960 they had a lot of things knocked mechanically, had figured out how to keep most of the fluid in the transmissions and power steering systems and off of the garage floor.
The government got involved in the business after the mid 60's and while I like the mid to late 60's cars, they just aren't built as well.
The muscle cars produced during the halcyon '64-'72 era are really marginally constructed cars that happen to have fantastic powertrains--which alone do not a car make.
My favorite era is 1928-1940, especially 1930-'35. Having driven many cars built from 1910 (the oldest I've driven) thru all of the decades, It's really apparent that what we know as the modern car came about in the early 30's. Every year brought huge advances power, steering and all around usefulness. The cars of that era are unusually stout in their construction, wood frame bodies notwithstanding, and the mechanics are easy to keep working--many parts are almost infinitely renewable.
WWII taught American industry how to crank stuff out the door, and autos changed as a result of this. They had to--more people than ever wanted, and could afford them.
I think you could give a little slack to the late 80's--American cars got a lot better then, and there have been some models produced since then that gave very good service, stayed out of the shop for the most part and a couple of them actually looked halfway decent.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1959. The '59 Cadillac Eldorado is the finest example of Detroit's glory days.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8541
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall, there has never been an industry in the history of mankind that, in so short a time:

1. Changed the world/lifestyles so drastically
2. Made so many so rich over so long a period
3. Is alive and (well...) today

Twice during these decades Detroit was the wealthiest city on the planet.

50-60 was great because as one poster said, every unveiling was pure drama/secrecy/different.

60-70 my favorite as the beginning of the decade (follow along in your 1960 Rand McNally) America drove on 2-lane hiways from town to town, excited to hit 65, on vinyl upholstery, with ventilators to take away the summer heat, listening to AM. By 1970, air conditioning was commonplace, 70-75mph was the norm on non-stop trips everywhere in the land and stereo was massive in the middle class. Horsepower and styling (Deloreon/Pontiac - ummmmm!) were king and fueled by Beach Boys, etc etc. "She's real fine my 409" was just a precursor to "Little GTO" and any/all sorts of others. What a decade.

56packman

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury--Packard introduced torsion bars on their 1955 and '56 "big cars" and upper series Clipper models. Torsion bars that ran almost the length of the chassis, and were mechanically interlinked. Chrysler introduced their short torsion bars later, and made the mistake of anchoring them into unit body channels that had a bad tendency to rust.
Packard was the first production car with air conditioning, 1939. Cadillac followed in '40, then the industry forgot about A/C until 1953, when they all took it up again, a vastly better system this time, thanks to improvements in the system.
torsion level chassis

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best automotive year? 1958. Chevy got it right with the Impala. How can you improve on that? I've yet to see someone deviate from the factory on that one and have it look "right" or "better". Same goes for the 1963 Lincoln 4 -door Continental Convertible, or the 1963 Thunderbird Hardtop Roadster. The 1969 Dodge Charger bodystyle or the 1969 Mustang Fastback were right on as well. And who could argue the 1969 Chevelle/Malibu? Great looking/riding/handling cars...

Overall, I'd say 1960-1972 were the best years, from a design, technological and HP standpoint- better engines, better suspensions...modern conveniences...and although there were many very 'sexy' car styles...that period had to have had the highest 'permitted' drug/alchohol use among the auto workers on the line. Definitely didn't help the quality reputation. A lot of workers were making good money...and they really didn't care about the product anymore. A few spoiling it for the rest I suppose. (I'm the son of an auto worker, so I heard some stories first hand.)

(Message edited by mercman on July 10, 2007)

Karl

Post Number: 8543
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercman, curious as to 1958 Impala vs the ever-popular '57 and why you think '58 is best.

Agreed on 69 Chevelle - my brother had an SS396, 375hp w/Hurst close ratio 4sp - and he let me drive it!

Also that series of Lincoln converts - there was never a car like it before or since. Some friends had one and each time I rode in it it seemed like a completely different car than any other I ever experienced.

I didn't care for those T-birds as much as the 64-66 converts - again, a different world. With top in the trunk it was truly a clean design.

Great era.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

Personally, the 57 Chevy is THE icon of Americana...but from a design standpoint from the factory, the 58 is a pretty neat looking car. I was looking over pictures of customized ones last night on my other favorite board, and I realized, you just can't really do anything to those cars that doesn't detract from the original. They almost came customized from Chevy. Just my personal opinion of course...

Someone mentioned the '59 Caddy- that's another classic design that's hard to beat.

Karl

Post Number: 8546
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spot on, Mercman. Yes, the '59 Cad is one of the all-time most desired classic to own. Particularly coveted by, of all people, Japanese collectors! They love 'em and pay (by far) the highest prices for the prime examples.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

79' Lincoln Mark V. Best car ever built.

I would definitly not call the current decade ouch part III. Call it "the comeback decade". the big 3 are down but not out. Teh competitors are turned away to a cheering crowd as the big 3 get ready to make their move...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The '58 Chev was just a '57 body with some different chrome and a slightly modified grille. Same was true of the 57 to 58 Ford. Biggest difference in the ford was the twin headlights in the '58.

Thread sure brings back memories.

56packman

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, the 1958 chevy was a one-year only body and chassis. '57,'58 and '59 Chevrolets all had a different body shell and chassis. That would be unthinkable today due to the expense and time required to engineer a body shell today.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say 1920 through 1941. We had a number of car companies who would build you what ever kind of coach, on any number of frames available, that you wanted. That era produced some of the most gorgeous machines. Honorable mention goes to the 1950s for starting the horsepower wars, with OHV V8s and power packs.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my perspective, I don't know if there was a really good decade. Dad worked for Chrysler in Highland Park (design engineer) and it seems like every few years, he would be getting a forced vacation, or Chrysler was desprately trying to save money. My memory is faulty, but the corporation was in some trouble in '52, '55, '61 (the Tex Colbert-William Newberg mess), again in '69/'70, and has been off and on since then.....

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, My Dad worked at Chrysler Highland Park also as a design engineer from 1930 to 1972 and never had any time off.

I think the 50's with the "Forward Look" was the best decade. Chrysler's fins, Tri-five Chevys, waiting for the new models with search lights in the sky and free pop and hot dogs at most dealers. Quite an era.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman....
....agreed about the Forward Look, but Chrysler got caught flat footed after WW II, expecting a depression and not restyling or retooling to save cash, in '55 just before the Forward Look, in '58 by a steel strike, and in the early '60's with those really boxy cars and the mess in the president's office.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, they made some ugly cars in the early 60's.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1960-1970 (My decade pick) The Big Three had some competition from AMC and foreign cars were rare except for The Bug. What a time to be an executive.

I would pick this decade as well, and extend it to 1973, maybe 1974.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman, thanks for refreshing my memory about those '55-'56 Packards. They were really good cars, especially the '56 (eliminating many of the "bugs" of the previous year). That '56 had a huge engine for its day, too, if I remember correctly.

The late '50s GMs handled like boats. I remember trying to go around corners in my '59 Buick. You had to be careful and take it s-l-o-w. (Not so with my '57 Dodge and '58 Plymouth -- they handled great in the context of the era.)

Harley Earl's styling was passe by 1957 and then got weird for 1958 and 1959 (Virgil Exner at Chrysler would counter with accelerated weirdness for '60-'61-'62!). The '58 Olds, '58 Buick, and '59 Chevy have to be three of the worst styling designs of the decade. No clean lines like over at Chrysler... everything was heavy-handed. At least the engineers were trying to be creative!

1957 is cited as a high-water mark of the '50s decade by many auto buffs, but it's interesting to view the "low-priced three" of that year (Chevy, Ford, Plymouth) next to each other. Plymouth and Ford were all-new that year, but the Chevy was a rehash of a three-year-old design. Half-hearted fins (they go straight back on the Chevy; they don't soar proudly in the air like on a Caddy or a Plymouth) and clunky, Cadillac-like front end styling try to mask the fact that the '57 Chevy was obsolete the day it hit the showroom. The Chevy simply looks out of date (stubby and high-sided) next to its sleek Ford and Plymouth counterparts for 1957.

Why is the '57 Chevy an American icon? Beats me. It wasn't innovative or even particularly attractive when compared to other, better-designed cars of the era. Considering that many other late Fifties cars had more flamboyant colors and styling, and better handling, I would say that the '57 Chevy is "a '50s car for people who really don't like '50s cars."

Oh, well, at least they didn't rust much. That's probably why there are so many of them still around.

56packman

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Why is the '57 Chevy an American icon? Beats me. It wasn't innovative or even particularly attractive when compared to other, better-designed cars of the era"

for the same reason that rap, heavy metal, hair bands and bubblegum pop CDs grossly outsell classical CDs--there's no accounting for taste!

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board, and just want to say this a great site. I'm gonna chime in on this Best Decade for cars convo. I happen to think the late 60's and early 70's were the best years. Muscle cars ruled. Every company had
some powerful automobiles. Someone mentioned the 79 Lincoln Mark V as the best car ever made. I think they were good cars, but the best ever? They were land yachts !!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.