Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Servite High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Servite_high_58
Username: Servite_high_58

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Class of 1958 is having their 50th class reunion next year. Anyone have fond memories of Servite High?

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a thread named Servite Catholic HS in the archives with recent postings about Servite. Click on Search in the top line where it says JOIN SEARCH FAQ RULES HELP and type "Servite" and then change the search to Title and you'll find it. There are several recent postings and pictures there.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bumped some photos in case anyone has problems with the search:

Here are some photos taken in December 2006.

Cornerstone: http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002152.jpg

Church: http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002151.jpg

Back of school/church: http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002150.jpg

Old Servite: http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002149.jpg

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002147.jpg

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002146.jpg

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002144.jpg

Across the street (was this a convent or a parish building?)

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002145.jpg

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, Max, for taking these pictures and helping to preserve our history.
I couldn't get the photos through the above links, but clicking on "search" at the top did the trick.
Was there a "St. John Berchmans High School" or was it always called Servite?

Goblue113
Username: Goblue113

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Servite in 1978, and went to St John Berchmans Grade School... I just re-united with my best friend from Servite, and it was a nite I won't forget.. Across the street (Coplin) from Servite was a Convent, we took Home Economics in that building, in the basement, with the Nuns... It's hard to believe, but 2008 will be my 30 year reunion.. Wow, time goes by so fast.....

Cedargrove
Username: Cedargrove

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Goblue113. I graduated from Servite in 1977, and went to Assumption Grotto grade school. A few years ago, I watched a basketball game in the old gym. Servite is now Colin Powell Academy. It was great being inside the building again... and it still looked very familiar. For many years, the school was vacant and, I thought, destined to be torn down. The convent was vacant and partially burned.

Goblue113

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cedargrove.. I really thought Servite would be torn down by now, glad that it is still standing, some good memories there.. Recently heard that Jack Carroll had passed away, he was a good coach.. Go Panthers.....
Hi Swiburn... St John Berchmans was the Grade School with the Church, and Servite was the High School....

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6318
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have these photos labeled as St. John Bercham

Do any of them look familiar?

They are from the Architect's Archive (Diehl & Diehl), and would have had some work done by Corrado Parducci.

Aiw

Post Number: 6319
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last two must be a before/after remodel series.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, are you sure that the photos credit this work to Diehl and Diehl? I'm pretty sure that the large combination school/church building was by Van Leyen, Schilling and Keough.

Cedargrove

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an upper and lower church, although I don't recall that the lower had a balcony.

Cedargrove

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting those pictures, Aiw. They're really great. I love the picture of the gym. People used to run 'track' on the balcony sometimes.

Cedargrove

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top image is St. John Berchman school and church complex, before Servite was built. The high school would be on the left, connected to the complex.

Aiw

Post Number: 6321
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCarch. Yes. I had the opportunity to browse their archives a few years back.

Browsing thought a copy of the job list, this is what they did...

Starting in 1941:

Job #

0636 - Old Alterations
0636A - Church & School Alterations
0711 - School Addition
0757 - High School
0757A - High School Alterations
0799 - Addition and Alteration to Rectory
0809 - Addition and Alterations to Convent

Nothing listed for Servite in the job list... Could that be the High School listed in jobs 757 & 757A?

Also of note, it wasn't technically Diehl & Diehl until job # 0770 St. Claire of Montefalco Church.

The Firm existed until 1993. However the job list isn't entirely accurate, and the first job for St. John Bercham was in 1941, but the file doesn't denote what years subsequent jobs were completed.

I believe that Diehl & Diehl Job # 0770 (The firm's first under the D&D name) was actually around 1946...

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pictures, Aiw. Diehl and Diehl designed many churches in the Detroit area. The architect's niece was the first baptism at the new St. Clare of Montefalco Church in l954.

Goblue113

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw.. thanks for the pics.... The gym is familiar with the track above, whats up with the Boxing Ring??? I don't remember either church, up or down, having the balconies when I was going....It looks completely different.. The pic of St John Berchmans before Servite is before my time.. Went to both schools....

Aiw

Post Number: 6323
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could the church have been a chapel in the School?

Cedargrove

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a full-sized church. One of the churches had the balcony because I watched my older brother's graduation from it. I thought it was the upper church.

Goblue113

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both were full sized churches, I graduated in the church upstairs, the church basement was just a little scary!! I'll ask Dad about the upstairs church, he was an usher every Sunday...

Cedargrove

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue113, my name is Ken. My sister Diane was in your class for a couple years.

Goblue113

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cedargrove... Yep, I know who you are, and yes I remember Diane and Jim.. I have Jim's class pic. And by the way, my sister Beth (Mary) and Dad confirmed there were balconies in the upper church.. My name is Ruth...

Cedargrove

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Goblue113... I remember you. Nice to bump into you here.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard a rumor recently that the Colin Powell Academy was going to move to the Bishop Gallagher site and that Servite/St. John Berchman's was going to be torn down.

Unsubstantiated rumor, but it was something that I had heard.

Goblue113

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cedargrove... nice to bump into you as well, hello to everyone...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a cousin who went to St. John Berchman in the '50's...Bernard Thompson...anyone recall the name? I haven't had any contact with him in decades but assume that he still lives in Detroit...he'd be about 67 now.

Goblue113

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Goblue... I wasn't born yet... :-) Moved to Detoit in 1963 from Youngstown Ohio...was just a mere 3 years old

Goblue

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot...just a babe! I graduated from WMU in '63 and started work in the Warren Woods schools. My "GoBlue" is from my graduate work.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graduate work at Columbus????? I thought that it the a public school between St. Jude's and Guardian Angels.....That's right an MA in 'Auditorium'.......GO BLUE!!!!!! You should have gone to the real university of michigan: MIchigan State....oh Well!!!! maybe there is a Servite grad that dated your '59 prom date????

Goblue

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: MSU???......Mooooo U.!!...drive northeast from Detroit until you smell it...be careful not to step in it!!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - GET REAL....once a Lutheran ALWAYS a Lutheran.....admit it!!!

GB - u OF m nice helmets...we still call them the banana heads...but then again a Fordham kid goes to college is big!!!!!

Virginia Playa is still proud of you!!!!!! or was proud!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.