Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Griswold Groundbreaking set for July 17th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 576
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/griswoldgb10107.aspx

(Message edited by apbest on July 09, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for that + the BC to be finished. Gonna be good times. I think we should have a forum party to celebrate.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the smaller units for a younger group is very interesting and probably a very smart move on the part of the developer. Kudos. Can't wait to see the building going up.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At the ground-breaking, details of additional units being added to the original 80 will be announced."

Maybe a taller Building?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. Additional units sounds very exciting. Perhaps the Griswold developers know something we don't about a possible Quicken move.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are announcing additional units because they were not able to sell all of the more expensive units.

I would not call it exciting or good news -- but I would call it a smart move to adapt to the realities of the marketplace.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says additional units ADDED to the ORIGINAL 80.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how do you add additional units inside a fixed outer size? You split larger units into smaller units. You then end up with more units with some of them smaller in size.

From the article:
quote:

At the ground-breaking, details of additional units being added to the original 80 will be announced. Several units will be halved in order to create smaller -- 600-650 square feet -- and more affordable -- the high $100,000's -- condominiums that target a younger audience. "There's a whole market we're not satisfying," observes van Dyke.

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are halving units to create more i.e. making two cheaper units out of one expensive one.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9526

If some are going to be reduced into smaller units it will be more than the original 80 but not more square footage or building. Just my guess.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which means that they are carving up 80 larger units into probably 100 smaller units. I would prefer that anyway, that makes it more affordable for the people who want to live downtown but can't afford a $1 million penthouse. I could afford $120,000, which is probably the targeted price for some of the smallest units.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes -- additional units added -- because they are cutting some of the larger units up into multiple smaller ones.

quote:

At the ground-breaking, details of additional units being added to the original 80 will be announced. Several units will be halved in order to create smaller -- 600-650 square feet -- and more affordable -- the high $100,000's -- condominiums that target a younger audience. "There's a whole market we're not satisfying," observes van Dyke.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we just set a forum record for number of people answering the same question at the same time... :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4773
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, while you guys are haggling over the number of units, no one noticed that the number of parking floors mentioned does not match the initial diagram...

The article mentions 6 floors of parking, the diagram shows 9 floors of parking.

What gives?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll sell more units, faster with more diverse, cheaper offerings.

I'm wondering about how, with those lower prices, the possibilities of someone renting their condo may or may not be enhanced. Their monthly payment would clearly have to be comfortably lower than the rent that the market dictates. Early on, probably none of these will be rentals, but after a few years, someone who had snagged one of these for 150-200k may want to offer a rental if the downtown residential market heats up more.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm disappointed to learn the market wasn't there for the larger units...and splitting the units into 600sq ft seems really small to me...I (technically) live alone and I get claustrophobic in my 1100 sq ft place if I'm in there too long...

Also, it would have been cool if they had designed the balconies to hang off the building, like the ones at Crosswinds Garden lofts and the Ellington, instead of going with the Trolley Plaza-style...just a thought

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually when a developer says

quote:

"more affordable -- the high $100,000's"

that means prices will start at $199,000, maybe $189,000. My guess is that price range will bring them closer to real market demand but still above it. The closer those split, 600-square-foot units are to $150,000 the quicker they'll sell in this market.

Gistok

Post Number: 4775
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe so Thejesus, but I bet those folks buying the condos on the 1st condo floor with the huge balconies don't mind them the way they are. :-)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5771
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Model D media link isn't working for me. In fact, it doesn't seem to have been updated in a week or so, which is very rare.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 695
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean to hijack the thread at all, but I guess there is no way of avoiding it without starting another thread...oh well.

With the BC, Griswold, (maybe)1001 Woodward and various other ventures in this neighborhood, what are the chances that we see something happen at the Lafayette Building anytime soon. I dont know about you guys, but if I was an out of towner I would not want to spend major $$ to stay at the BC with a view of an empty building right across the street.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this link:
http://modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/griswoldgb10107.aspx

Also, Gistok, this link doesn't mention six stories of parking and nine stories of condos - not sure where you got that. It has always been 9 stories of parking on top of 1-2 floors of retail (depending on how you count them), then six stories of Griswold condos on top of the parking.

(Message edited by beantown on July 09, 2007)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 577
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I edited the original post with the new link..they changed it those sneaky bastards

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/griswoldgb10107.a spx

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They definitely changed the article as well. It originally mentioned six floors of parking as Gistok stated. They must have caught the (apparent) mistake and edited it.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 742
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on how "huge" and "mind-blowing" the Quicken announcement is, i bet it will be the tipping point for projects with any doubt or uncertainty based solely on "if" there is enough demand. And the rest of downtown's vacant structures will just have that much more interest in redeveloping them. I'm certain the days of downtown having more than one or two vacant large buildings are numbered.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5772
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. To me, the 'tipping point' in terms of large-scale projects will be when most developments can get off the ground with little to no city, state, and/or federal subsidy, and I think that's quite a bit down the road. But, maybe my definition is a little strict.

Gistok

Post Number: 4782
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Beatsworking... I thought I was losing my mind.... cuz I swore I saw "6" floors of parking this morning! See.... the movers and shakers of Detroit DO READ our comments!! :-)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mind_field:

I wouldn't overestimate the impact a Quicken announcement will have on the development of vacant structures...

Say Quicken moves 3,000 of it's workers downtown, which I feel is on the higher end of what's likely...and say 10% of them decide to reside downtown at some point in the next 5 years , which also seems like a higher-end estimate given the patterns we see with current downtown workers...

that's a few hundred additional downtown residents at best in half-a-decade...while it'll be a positive thing for residential developers, I don't see this announcement alone being a tipping point for the development of vacant structures...it will take a couple more Compuware/Quicken-type moves before we see a noticeable impact on the downtown residential market

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5774
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with that to a point, but would also add that downtown captures quite a strange cross-section of individuals and households. You may have those that work downtown, but you also have a lot of urban pioneers (both before and after downtown became "cool"), many of which do a reverse commute.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest has some weird backdoor entrance. To Model D I mean. But claims to no connection. Weird ...

quote:

Thanks Beatsworking... I thought I was losing my mind.... cuz I swore I saw "6" floors of parking this morning! See.... the movers and shakers of Detroit DO READ our comments!!

If only for a laugh ...

Gistok

Post Number: 4787
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or to proofread their sloppy journalism...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a question. Does anybody know how many Compuware employees have chose to reside downtown? That may help help us understand how a Quicken move might help the downtown housing market.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to followup on Thejesus's point about not overestimating the effect of a Quicken move.

From afar, I'm wondering if the number of units being built, converted, planned, etc. might not be more then the market can absorb?

We are talking downtown, Mid-town, Brush, riverfront, etc.

Are there already developments (say in Brush or Mid-town) which are moving slowly?

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... I remember a downtown housing market study in recent memory that pegged the downtown only demand at 5,000 units. I could be making that up... correct me someone who knows.

Bijouloveshues
Username: Bijouloveshues

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so exciting :-)

I wish I could afford to move downtown!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6189
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! GENTRIFICATION

It kicks out the po'folks and brings in the rich.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The poor thankfully have lots of space in Detroit to live. If you do not have gentrification in areas you have no hope for a economic base to develop downtown. Hopefully development will then bring some jobs that can help to employ the poor.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Danny, that's the plan. I'm not sure how anyone could consider that a bad thing.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny you seem like a bitter broken record, Give it a rest, Detroit is changing just as it changed between the 1950-80 that created the current demographic. However, whether you like it or not, many feel the current change it is a good thing.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planner 727,

The number of residential units the downtown is predicted to be able to absorb, according to the 2006 market study, is only 1,700 (340 annually) through 2011. But, that is just for downtown proper. I guess if you include all of the core inner-city neighborhoods (i.e. East Riverfront, Lafayette Park, Brush Park, Cass Park, Woodbridge, Corktown, and the rest of Midtown) perhaps, you could get that number up to 5,000, but that still seems a bit high, especially without steady job growth.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan - to which market study are you referring? I believe that there have been a few over the past years. Without taking the time to find them all, I seem to remember one from Zimmerman-Volk Associates, Beebe and Associates, and the UofM Urban Planning study, perhaps among others. I seem to recall the Volk study being a little outdated, and the UofM study being the most optimistic for residential demand.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5779
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the study put together by Brookings Institution, Social Compact, and UofM released in October of last year. But, of the different numbers I've seen, none have ever been close to 5,000 for the decade.

The Katherine Beebe & Associates September 2006 predicts that downtown can absorb 1,700 more by decades end.

So, they are all pretty close into what they think downtown can add. This is on top, of course, the 2,400 or so units that have been developed in downtown since 2000.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 11, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.