Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » NAACP Convention in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/M ETRO/707090336/1003

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it was in the "news across the nation" down here in Charlotte (the 'N' word portion of the event that is).

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Republicans are as welcome as Woody Hayes speaking at the annual Michigan football banquet.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New slogan for Detroit: "Republicans keep out!"

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:New slogan for Detroit: "Republicans keep out!"

I Say,

If it were not for republicans, slavery would probably still exist in this country.

I think you should do a bit of research before downing an entire group of people that fought for hundreds of years to terminate slavery here and across the globe.

They gave their lives for the lives of others. They put their own families 2nd for their causes and all you guys do is bash them.

If it were up to the left, we would still have slavery in one way or another.

OOPS, my bad. We do have the illegal immigrants the left wants so bad to stay here and work for them at $2 per hour. Guess we republicans still have some abolishing to do.

Sorry, continue please.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9517
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying that the Republican party of 2007 is the same party of Abraham Lincoln? I certainly hope that you aren't equating the two in anything beyond a name.

Now that said there are surely people of both parties that support the NAACP and the cause of equality. In the same thought there are people of both parties that either believe that everything is equal, blacks receive too much favoritism or are just racist.

Lot of people in both parties and both parties have people that represent all walks of life from the best to the worst.

(Message edited by jt1 on July 09, 2007)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, I can't wait for this one to start. A lot has changed since 1861.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bashing? I voted for George Romney in '62 and just missed Ike in '56.

Pam

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line-convention dollars are good for Detroit. Money of Democrats is also green.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3368
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JFK (not Kerry, BTW) was a conservative Democrat. So, if he were alive and in politics today, he would either be a Blue Dog or in the GOP--quite a contrast from his brother Ted.

[It's difficult to fathom that JFK and Ted Kennedy even share the same DNA.]

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not going to pretend like I'm the most knowledgeable person when it comes to politics, but that being said, I don't think the Republican party of today is the same party that was abolishing slavery.

Also: I would like to think that through the course of normal social evolution, slavery would've ended somehow. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I don't think you can oppress a group that large for that long without something happening, so I wouldn't go around saying "if it weren't for the Republicans...." I like to think we all have a brain and can make major decisions with or without the Republicans.

One more thing... AFAIK, I don't see any Lefties out there promoting Illegal Immigrants working for $2 an hour. I believe that they just want them to be able to stay here and gain Legal status. If I'm not mistaken, it's the Republicans saying things about them mooching off of us and wanting to kick them out of the country when all they are trying to do is find a better life.

Now time for a small disclaimer (before I am accused of hijacking the thread in the name of Illegal Immigrants...lol) I'm not saying I'm for one thing or the other. I'm just saying that I don't think Revaldullton is any more accurate than whom he's accusing...(also sorry if any grammar police are watching and I misused "whom").

I will say that I don't think Republicans are as welcome here, but I also think it goes without saying that we are a Blue state and have been for a while. Detroit being the center of that Blue state and being the majority African American (known to vote Democratic most of the time) that it is actually a fair statement to send the message that we are Left and we aren't going to go Rightie anytime soon. I don't think it matters what the Republicans have done in the past.

I think it's more about what they are doing right now.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NAACP is purely a democrat shill that has probably provided more harm than good for blacks in the US.

We'll still take their money though.

If we were smart, we would try to get money from those evil Republicans as well.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9518
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY - A large number of conservative democrats or liberal republicans would be good in my book. Too much extremism from both parties. We need members of both parties to move more towards the center. That way some good could be accomplished instead of the partisan arguing.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3369
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Pelosi's regret, there are some 59 Blue Dogs--a significant percentage of the Democrat House membership. In like fashion, the GOP has a number of RINOs.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, you are all taking the Republican Party bashing slavery back to the Abraham Lincoln Administration. In no way did the Lincoln Administration want to abolish slavery. His famous quote that proves this is, "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." Although his main objective was to save the Union. He did still have strong opinions against slavery. And he did free the slaves, but he never helped against the Raciscm.

As you can see I am not a big fan of "Good-Ole" Abe, but these are facts. The Republican Party's push to help out Blacks was during Reconstruction(1866-1873). When they were called "Radical" Republicans because of their "Radical" Views. These people were dumbasses for calling them radical. They were innovative.

Presidents:
*Democrat Andrew Johnson(1865-1869)
*"Radical" Republican Ulysses S. Grant(1869-1877)

Sorry for the History Lesson. Just relaying the facts. And obviously I am a Republican. And I am not saying that the republican party is the same today, but they follow the same platform. The dumbass president should not be the image of the entire party.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly doubt the NAACP has hurt African Americans more than it helped. Unless you would consider the most helpful thing for African Americans to be that they don't have an advocacy group. LOL.

Convention money is good money, flat out.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody told the Republicans to stay away - on the contrary, they were, and are still, invited to address the convention.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Republicans are invited to address NAACP conventions just as a condemned man is invited to address the firing squad.

The "invitations" are made only to preserve the NAACP's appearance of "non-partisanship". No one expects GWB to actually show up.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:First of all, you are all taking the Republican Party bashing slavery back to the Abraham Lincoln Administration. In no way did the Lincoln Administration want to abolish slavery.

I say:

I know history. I know what Lincoln did and did not do.
I was talking about the people who happened to be republican not the entire party but a majority of those Repukes as you guys so eloquently call them, risked their lives and their way of life to help the slaves.

Now for your History lesson:

Lincoln did not free the slaves. That was Congress with the ratification of the 13th amendment to the COnstitution.

If Ol Abe had his racist ways, all people of African ancestry would have been shipped off to Liberia.

Lincoln only agreed to free the border slaves who agreed to fight for the union and with a heavy hand at that.

As for the other person that sked if I was comparing republicans of then to rebuplicans of now well, yes I am.

What makes you think that just because people affiliate themselves with the right, that they are racist war mongers?
Why can't they just be protective of "their people" that reside here? [legally I may add}

If you cannot see the hipocrisy in what the left does on a daily basis then I feel sad for you.

Maybe people should'nt affiliate themselves with any party at all.

I don't know what the answer is to the world's problems.

All I can say that is if we are supposed to be civilized, then when will the human race finally act like it.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois,

You and I are in agreement about convention money. Let's take it!

On your other point, the NAACP is not an advocacy group for African-Americans. They are an advocacy group for liberal African-Americans and the democratic party.

Its kind of like pretending that NOW represents the view of women in this country

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4665
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was in the convention traffic today. Every group walking to the convention had that one token white guy with them.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no! What's Chris Rock going to do for work now?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not help noticing that the quote from our Mayor displays his usual compulsion to make sure he sounds like a real, honest-to-goodness, down-with-the-homies Black Man, even if doing so means that he will appear to be less educated and articulate than he (most likely) is. Nice going, Dumbass.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The convention is headlining CNN News. Something other than crime or the poor economy for a change, so quitcha b!tchin'.

(Message edited by yvette248 on July 09, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4402
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QQn Yvette...

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the response I got from a friend of mine when we were talking about this was, when are they going to retire "cracker" or "honkey". I guess his point was that retiring means nothing as racism and its words still survive.

Ravine

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Tkelly, and they can throw "white boy" in the same Hefty bag, too. However, the point of this exercise is not so much about getting people to stop using racist insults as it is about getting black people to stop using that one on each other.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was primarily to provide a photo-op for Julian Bond and his buddies to give the appearance of relevance for their organization.

No?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"However, the point of this exercise is not so much about getting people to stop using racist insults as it is about getting black people to stop using that one on each other".

I see, however, I don’t think that was articulated enough, as a few people I have talked too seem to think it is a white/black thing.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6177
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "N" word is not dead! Black folks especially the racist KKK and Neo-Nazi white folks still say it. Hip Hop stars even say the word "Nigga" in their songs. Putting the " N" word to rest will make white-folks say the word to black man. That's is why black-folks must defend that "N" word forever to prevent racial attitudes.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give it a rest, Danny. It's dead.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:The "N" word is not dead! Black folks especially the racist KKK and Neo-Nazi white folks still say it. Hip Hop stars even say the word "Nigga" in their songs. Putting the " N" word to rest will make white-folks say the word to black man. That's is why black-folks must defend that "N" word forever to prevent racial attitudes.

I say: well maybe we should get rid of the other popular words frequently used by others including those in the black community.

Ravine

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly, I agree with you. It seems that many folks, including our Mayor (who is beginning to show some of the same signs of a daily decrease in intellect as our President shows,) have focused on the black/white aspect of the matter, and while that aspect is (obviously) very much a part of the over-all problem, I thought the original emphasis was being placed on the importance of persuading black folks to stop using it. Just a thought: It may, actually, be more important, from a self-imaging standpoint, for black people to stop using it. There will always be some sorry-ass white people using it, but that doesn't have to have any effect on how blacks see, or feel about, themselves personally or as a group.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8537
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if, 13 million dead African Americans later, the NAACP has announced a position on the black holocaust abortion.

Revaldullton, you are a breath of fresh air. Welcome, and please keep posting.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:sorry-ass white people

I take offense to that racist remark. That was uncalled for.

(Message edited by revAldullton on July 09, 2007)

Revaldullton

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Karl.

I hope to enjoy this forum as much as everyone else.
\
Rev

Mkhopper
Username: Mkhopper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only saw a few photos of the "funeral for the N-word", but I noticed that 99% of the people there most likely wouldn't use that word anyway.

Does anyone honestly belive that some gang banger (black or white) is going to care at all?

Ravine

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if Rev's tongue was pushing against the inside of his cheek, or not, when he responded to my previous post, but I zealously insist on reserving my Constitutionally-approved Freedom of Speech rights, when it comes to using the term "sorry-ass" for any white people who refer to black people as, well, you know... that.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9523
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and what can be said about those black people who use that term? Fucking hypocrits of the world, unite and takeover!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:I don't know if Rev's tongue was pushing against the inside of his cheek, or not, when he responded to my previous post, but I zealously insist on reserving my Constitutionally-approved Freedom of Speech rights, when it comes to using the term "sorry-ass" for any white people who refer to black people as, well, you know... that.

^^thank you so much for clearing that up for me. Will we be also calling minorities sorry A***S so & so {insert color, nationality or religion)for referring to white people in ignorant tones or will that be construed as racist?

the good rev

Ravine

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. As for how it may be construed, what say we leave that up to the construers.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took it as a racist remark as would anyone else with common sense . Even if you were to substitute white people for another group. Especially then.

But you are entitled to your opinion as everyone else.

the good rev

Pam

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Job fair held today:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=9ab7296 f-83e9-4202-b2da-40c9cd4f7e84

Revaldullton

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the job fair is extremely positive. Glad to see someone is trying to help our "American People"

the good rev

Ravine

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jee-ZUSS. Let me re-phrase my comment.
There will always be some white people who are such sorry-asses that they will use it.
NOW is my meaning clear enough?
Maybe I need to publish a Berlitz-style "Ravine-English" pocket manual. Sheesh!!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Ravine,

I also need to learn how to sometimes place all my wordage in the proper order so it is not misunderstood or construed as negative.
None of us are perfect.

I apologize if you were offended.

the good rev

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 10, 2007)

Revaldullton

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, its not a real word. haha sorry.

Karl

Post Number: 8652
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Best of the Web Today, by James Taranto:

Clinton's Understudy

Bill Clinton was scheduled to give the keynote address at this week's NAACP convention in the Motor City, but begged off for undetermined reasons, the Detroit Free Press reports:

Young NAACP convention-goers who thought they were going to hear former President Bill Clinton instead heard rapper Master P. . . .

The rapper also asked those in the audience not to blame hip-hop for African-American social ills. He did, however, acknowledge that the hip-hop industry isn't perfect.

"I was once part of the problem. But I realized, by having kids, that if I've got to get in the car and turn down my own music, something is wrong and I've got to fix it," he said.

Earlier in the week, "the NAACP symbolically buried the 'N' word," the Associated Press reports:

The Baltimore-based civil rights organization first announced the "N" word burial in April. Delegates and supporters marched about a quarter-mile from Cobo Hall to Hart Plaza downtown where a eulogy was given.

The issue was given a national forum in April when talk show host Don Imus directed racially derogatory comments at black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team. . . .

[NAACP chairman Julian] Bond, who addressed the convention Sunday, said NAACP leadership has been in discussions with entertainers, especially rappers, about removing racial and gender-specific slurs from their music.

So far, No Limit Records CEO Master P, and rap legends Kurtis Blow and Eric B. have given their support.

How bad are Master P's lyrics? Here's one example (warning: link contains unredacted obscenities):

Nigga what what bitches callin' my name
Homies hut hut No Limit still in the game
See I'm a money making nigga like Bill Gates
Me and my lil cousin toss bitches from state to state
Lil' Beezy he off the heezy
He in the threezy smoking weezy
I don't give a f--- about you hatin' I'm chasin' fortune and fame
I got every ghetto bitch screamin my name

If the Imus kerfuffle means less stuff like this, some good will have come of it.

Ravine

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sad, to think that time at the podium of the NAACP convention was so cheap that Master P was one of the speakers. Another hypocritical phony willing to do a Bojangles dance for, and kiss the ass of, whoever pays him money or attention.

Karl

Post Number: 8655
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wise words, Ravine.

Ravine

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, it's funny how folks who pander to their audience by saying what they believe the audience wants to hear are often praised for "Keeping It Real," but when Bill Cosby says stuff that is QUITE real, but hurts to hear, he's liable to catch all kinds of hell from some of the same people who will sit there and nod their heads when a poseur like Master P slings some two-for-a-nickel fried fatback at 'em. It's really just downright nauseating.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.