Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What was burning tonight? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW of downtown, seemed fairly close, and probably fairly large...

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two abandoned houses by the water sewage treatment plant one street east of Cavalry by Fort Wayne. Total loss as they both burned pretty much to the ground. That is the third fire in that are in a week!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6174
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Started by both careless and crazy folks.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That whole area is filled with what seems to be a lack of people who care. There are a couple of nice streets with well kept houses the more west you go, but the other streets scare me-they look like an abandoned war zone!!

They really need to hold the property owners responsible for cleaning up their property or they need to excercise the right of "emminate domain(sp?)", confiscate the land and buildings, bulldoze the wreckage and put it in a dumpster.

The whole key is to make those responsible for ownership responsible for upkeep, too. Works in the burbs, how come not in Detroit?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up, Focusonthed. Too bad I wasn't around to see that one. Check this for similar topic:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/106659.html?1183894736

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was in town from Chicago, driving in from Port Huron to see the Tigers game and it seemed to be a BIG plume of smoke (probably mostly because of the calm winds) and I was hoping it wasn't something significant over there.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 773
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was heading up Jefferson when I saw the dark smoke. We went up a side street and got a good view of the fire due to the fact they was nothing but empty lots to the rear of the burning houses. I've never seen a fire that intense before.

For such a desolate area it sure brought the people out. Hookers, drug dealers, area residents, and suburbanites all coming together to watch a blazing fire that captivated us all.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a fire on the 94 service drive maybe right around Chene about maybe 8 pm tonight.

Could see the flames as we drove past.

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWSOME! I wish i could have been there to see it! does anyone have pics of this????

Also, anybody know about the other fires that happened recently in that area-location, or pics?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, I saw that. About 9 pm, SB 75, I saw a huge smoke cloud, looked like it was in or very near Hamtramck. Would like any info that anyone has.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SWbaby-

What is so awesome about the area burning to the ground? I work down at Fort Wayne all of the time and there have been three fires in as many weeks. My wife and I had to drive to the firehouse on Solvay and pound on the front door last Sunday to let the firefighters know there was a fire at the house on Dragoon. They got to the structure very quickly, but, unfortunately, the structure was a total loss. Although my wife and I thought it was an abandoned house, we saw later that there were brand new toys strewn about the front yard and realized it had been occupied!! Many houses in the area appear to be abandoned but we have seen various families living in them, too!! Sad but true.....

There seems to be some kind of pyromaniac running around down there, for sure.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 865
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was over at my cousin's house on Leverette and 11th St in Corktown, we were listening to Grand Funk and firing up massive bong hits on the front porch Saturday night. Could you smell the smoke, was it strong and pungent?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl-

No, I don't think it was your bong that did that!! The smoke was BLACK, and there was no "American Band" jammin in the background! The hooka that you were token on was definitely not responsible.

I did, however, notice a strong contingent of neighborhood dudes standing upwind of the thick smoke and inhaling deeply.......

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just did some searching online. couldn't find anything on the july 8 fire off I94.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a note here. I was exiting WB 96 at Telegraph today and saw a patch of grass on fire. It looked like it had the potential to be the start of a wildfire. This occurred directly across the service drive from what I believe is Eliza Howell park. A strong wind would have possibly blown the fire across to the park.

I immediately called 911. Redford police answered, "Is this about the fire on the freeway?" Funny way to answer a 911 call.

Anyways, I've said all that to say that many of these fires may be occurring due to the extreme weather we've been experiencing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.