Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Wilbur Wright: How did it go down hill so quickly. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's what happens when there's nothing to keep the water out.

(Message edited by wolverine on July 08, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its amazing ...for every great project downtown there seems way too many of these to post on here.
It's like putting a facelift on a cancer patient.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9514
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or it is an attempt to improve the quality of life for the cancer patient.

Certainly helps stabbing the cancer patient in the heart which you seem to enjoy so much.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This cancer patient isn't my family member. Perhaps if more of it's brothers and sisters gave a damn it might recover.

Jt1

Post Number: 9515
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you really that ignorant that you don't understand the impact of Detroit's demise on the entire region? It is all of our family. But attitudes and shortsighted ignorant attitudes like yours will continue to decimate the region.

I hate to break it to you but areas like northville do not exist in a vacuum.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors
Thanks for the photos. I went to Wright in the 50's when it was a very prestigious school.
I'm sorry for the condition it's in now.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its just so sad to see how it has gone downhill in 4 years time.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought someone the forum said there plans to loft that school. Woodbridge folk, what's up?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8535
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 blathers: "Certainly helps stabbing the cancer patient in the heart which you seem to enjoy so much."

I guess discussing the elephant in the living room is stabbing it in the heart.

Let me guess, Jt1: You prefer not to confront/discuss the addicts in your family, instead ignoring their disruptions of family gatherings at the most inopportune times and hoping others won't notice.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Karl!!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice if these people actually were interested in the confrontation and intervention for the good of the family member in Karl's analogy.

However, as exemplified further above, people do not see it as their family member... they see it as someone else's family member, distance themselves from the family and then seem to enjoy making light of the situation in their "discussions."

There must be a psychological reason for the distancing. People don't want to admit that their community has a family with the issue. They want to say that everything is great and that the other family is different and does not affect them. However, people from other communities will see you as someone from the community with the family issue.... no matter how far you distance yourself.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul's analogy is appropriate but misdirected. The cancer patient is the metro area. The facelifts on the cancer patient are far more likely to be new stripmalls and subdivisions in BFE as anything happening in the city. The city of Detroit happens to bear the brunt of the scar tissue of a metro area suffering ~50 years of a flat economy and relatively flat population growth, but the malignancy is hardly localized South of 8mile and east of telegraph.

Jt1

Post Number: 9516
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - I am all for discussing the issues in the city and the region. In the same regard Paul likes to point out his experiences 30 years ago on damn near every thread. Paul will also discount anything positive happening in the city.

If we want to discuss issues let's discuss them but Paul never contributes to any real discussion and his comment "This cancer patient isn't my family member. Perhaps if more of it's brothers and sisters gave a damn it might recover." is exactly what is wrong with the region.

Paul doesn't realize that thinking only of what is happening in his vacuum/city is not the way for our region to advance. Paul may even believe that the ills of Detroit won't ever touch his little city. The truth is that we as a region are failing and must address many of our issues in a regional basis as opposed to the "My city is fine, Detroit sucks mentality"

So Karl, if you feel the need to jump in what is your take on the region's decline and people in the region believing that Detroit's ills are only the ills of Detroit and its residents?

Will Northville be viable in 20 years? Will Royal Oak? Will there be a decent standard of living in metro Detroit? With the way things are going the mentality that the ills are localized to and only solved by Detroit is pure ignorance.

If we want to use the cancer analogy SE Michigan is a patient that opts to cut off its limbs out of spite to rid the cancer as opposed to fighting the cancer. The problem is that the cancer is not localized and cutting off limbs will not stop it from spreading.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gals and Guys...

Are there any good examples of Schools being converted into loft space in Detroit?

Jt1

Post Number: 9527
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that it was Joel Landy (?) that did a school on Antietam. Can't recall the name or project but I think that the halls still have the lockers and the auditorium was turned into one giant unit.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, you are referring to the old Leland School in Lafayette Park which has been converted into the Leland Lofts. It seems to be quite successful. Several posters on this forum live there. Perhaps they will provide more information for Izzadore.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a site. The photos of Leland School are impressive.

http://www.lelandlofts.com/his tory.php

For those of us that may wish to partake...

Thanks Jt1

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out what they are doing in Little Rock with the ARC and schools, hospitals etc...really cool re-development with a non-profit. I don't have a link sorry.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albuquerque has had success converting unused schools and other buildings to residential/commercial uses:
http://www.abqhigh.com
http://dcd.com/case_studies/06 11/061134.html
http://www.downtownabq.com/cms /index.php/realestate/resident ial/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.