Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Habitat Company Buys Trolley Plaza « Previous Next »
Archive through July 07, 2007Downtown_remix30 07-07-07  9:21 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 791
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

private company vs slumlord

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Rhymeswithrawk: tear it down....

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN."

And how is that beneficial?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can someone elaborate the connection between Habitat and Quicken loan/Rock financial?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"can someone elaborate the connection between Habitat and Quicken loan/Rock financial?"

At this point, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! First off, Habitat now owns Trolley Plaza, the same people who own the Lafayette Towers in Chicago. With their god history, they should bring the good Old Trolley back to it's Upscale Standards. In Addition, Quicken could be moving in the Site right next to the Trolley Plaza, and thus not only could we see the possibility of more Quicken Employees moving into the Trolley, but it will help in addition to the B/C in the revitilization of Washington Blvd.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 09, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What purpose would tearing down Trolley Plaza serve?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What purpose would tearing down Trolley Plaza serve?"

It will boot hundreds of residents out of their home and potentially damaged the skyline and screw up the high-rise density in DD even further.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At this point, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! First off, Habitat now owns Trolley Plaza, the same people who own the Lafayette Towers in Chicago. With their god history, they should bring the good Old Trolley back to it's Upscale Standards. In Addition, Quicken could be moving in the Site right next to the Trolley Plaza, and thus not only could we see the possibility of more Quicken Employees moving into the Trolley, but it will help in addition to the B/C in the revitilization of Washington Blvd.

Lafayette Towers & Lafayette Pavilion are in Detroit, not Chicago.

FYI.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4780
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I don't care much for the esthetic look of Trolley Plaza, I don't think tearing it down is a smart idea... especially since it is pretty much fully leased.

Perhaps they could update it with some other warmer building material or design on parts of the building skin, to reduce the amount of bare concrete.

To somehow equate the Levin family into this being some government scheme... boggles the mind.

Ironically Trolley Plaza was not built on the site of some beautiful old Washington Blvd. building(s). For decades there were a few parking lots and a few 2 story buildings on this site. There was never anything torn down there that was a lamentable loss.

But unless someone had some plans for something really spectacular on that site... it would not be a good idea to tear it down.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was the site of the downtown greyhound station for a long time. up until they moved it out to their current howard street station.

Rsa

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown greyhoud station

you can see the united artists (currency exchange) and michigan theatre buildings in the background.

[photo credit: water winter wonderland]

(Message edited by rsa on July 09, 2007)

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Habitat will most likely upgrade Trolley Plaza to Millender Center-Riverfront apt status, allowing Trolley to provide corporate suites for Quicken Loan employees/clients which may be headquarted right next door on the statler site. They could even build a skywalk in either direction to better connect to two buildings. Funny we still havent recieved confirmation of trolley being sold to habitat and not just managed.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Habitat will most likely upgrade Trolley Plaza to Millender Center-Riverfront apt status, allowing Trolley to provide corporate suites for Quicken Loan employees/clients which may be headquarted right next door on the statler site.

That seems feasible. That is common practice at Millender.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trolley plaza is great under new management. Unlike the old management that they having a hard time keeping the place up after the deadly elevator incident 2 years ago.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4783
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, now I'm confused. I thought the Greyhound Station was where the Comerica Tower is currently located.

When I stated that not much was there before Trolley Plaza, I was looking at an old early 30's map of the area that Hornwrecker posted about a year ago. That station was probably built after the date on the map.

And that building behind the station (between the Michigan & UA Buildings) looks like it could be the former Wayne County Road Commission Building before it was remodeled into that garish building we have today with those bright blue panels.

Rsa

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm; i've never heard that before gistok. i've seen pictures of the block where comerica is before it was built and it seemed to me that it was almost identical to the block directly north of it (the 600 block of woodward). by the picture, however, it looks as tho that station was built in the 30's/40's streamlined style so that could be a new location for the station. we can also determine that picture was taken pre-sixties since there is no rotating "aaa" sign on the roof of the currency exchange. does anybody know if that station was in operation and had to move up until the start of construction on trolley plaza?

[i agree about the wayne county road commision building; i couldn't place it before and that makes perfect sense.]

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3381
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of you are right. The Greyhound terminal was located where Trolley Plaza is, then it moved sometime after the war to where the parking garage behind Comerica is (Randolph/Congress/Larned).

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just going to post the same, damn maps. I guess I'll have to post some pics done for a Cunningham's promo or something.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todays news. Trolley Plaza will get a new name. Announcment on the 18th. Major renovation of the entire building and ground floor retail.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent. Washington Boulevard will be revived to it's roots (almost). There's just one more building that needs to get on board *cough* Book Tower *cough*

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good to hear remix..looking forward to the 18th

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

book tower looks to be going back to previous owner, its a great building with great potential. Its even got a few occupants and the lobby is in tact.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Trolley Market going to stay?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. talked to the Trolley market owner today and told him the new owners intention. He wants to stay and renovate the store asap

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the announcement of Trolley's new name happening?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure how announcment will take place.

Habitat turns out is a joining investor/management with Trolleys current owner.

Hochi
Username: Hochi

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the Trolley Plaza for three years from late 2001 to 2004. I liked the building, even if the design was 80's modern. When I moved in they had just renovated the unit I was in w/ new bathroom fixtures, kitchen and new carpet - so it was nice.

However, the management company was switched sometime in 2003 to the current one and things went way downhill after that. One or more of the elevators were constantly broken. Sometimes you'd have to wait 10 minutes or more in the lobby for an elevator. Shortly after I moved out, the tragic elevator accident happened and a friend of mine who lived there as well had his apartment broken into and all of his stuff (several thousand dollars worth of high tech and computer gear) was stolen.

(Message edited by hochi on July 18, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any news?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.