Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A.S.S. no more? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking on the Metro Times website, it looks like the A.S.S. (Abandoned Structure Squad) feature hasn't ran in some time. I always enjoyed it-forum members ought to send some e-mails in to the Metro Times editor asking for the return of A.S.S.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked it too! Tell me where to send those emails...

I know it's been revived once already. =)

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the page from which you can send letters to the editors of Metro Times (w/ the Editor being W. Kim Heron, News Editor being Curt Guyette, and Features Editor Brian Smith.)

http://metrotimes.com/aboutus/ masthead.asp

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it but found it depressing at the same time. It would be nice if it was balanced by a "restored" structure of the week.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never understood the point of it, its not like it shamed the owner or the city it was locating in to do anything about it (even though you think it would).

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it too...it was one of the reasons I picked up metrotimes every week. It was a little bit depressing, but I think it did serve a purpose to educate the masses. For the people that do not venture into the city and read this feature, they see that this structure has a property owner and history. People who do not see the blight often thinks that these are "nobody's houses" left to fall into a black hole of ownership. If people were to realize that some of these houses have private owners and others are owned by banks and the city, they may be more supportive of state legislation to fight blight and to rejuvenate what can be saved. I thought A.S.S. did a decent job of mixing the salvagable in with the structures that should be taken down. I also found the history of some of the structures very interesting and for me, I found the research and the interviews with neighbors to be a positive thing. These are often structures that the city has been called on several times. Getting the address out there and published may help expose the problem structure a bit more and hopefully get it secured or taken care of.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.