Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Savarine Hotel??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard anything new about this renovation? The number I had for the company doing the project has been disconnected

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's this? (the renovation)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13115 E. Jefferson Avenue

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, somewhere around MacArthur Bridge

Urbanize

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alrighty then. Does anyone have a better pic?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a while now there have been new windows and the outside looked very good...except for the first floor which has not had windows or covering of any kind in a few months.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is further down the street than that Rb336. It's across from the Riverbend shopping center, about halfway between Conner and Alter.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, thank you Mbr, it's that big browm building on Dickerson and Jefferson (across from Golightly), ty.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing, lol.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it's missing it's top, or is it just me?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Ramcharger's photo show's it. It's under a mile from GP Park, not so much near Belle Isle.

Last Saturday when I passed by the ground floor was pretty well gutted and wide open. The stonework had been cleaned and new windows installed upstairs. It will be great to have a large, fully functional apartment building on that corridor, further aiding the retail redevelopment of far East Jefferson.

I'll take another look and maybe a snapshot this weekend.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not missing its top, it has a courtyard.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3194
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't notice anyone working on the saturday, but there are indeed new windows, new sidewalks around the perimeter, and work going on next door on Lenox street, presumably preparing a parking area. The first floor is gutted and window-less at the moment.

Lenox St. from Jefferson to Kercheval is a disaster zone, though.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really is. Personally, I think they should halt that project until some more development spurs in the area.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3195
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not want to see it be left in its current gutted state. No, rejuvenate Jefferson and then watch more investment on the side streets. You have to start somewhere. I see a lot of the empty lots on that block being perfect for new townhouses. Don't forget that there is a far east side master plan, along with an aggressive and partially successful plan to get developers to build on these blocks. If it was the city that rebuilt the sidewalks, that is a sign that they are working in unison with a developer here.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this area is in the city's empowerment zone (I.E Conner Corridor Development and Mack and Alter Development), but the problem is, I sure the Real Estate value for the apartments won't be very high. Jefferson is also FAIRLY rejuvenated with semi-decent shopping and nearby Decent Schools. It would be nice to have these buildings developed, but I sure wouldn't want any disappointed people out of the deal either. Then again, the Victoria Park Development and the Development along Piper street hasn't had an issue as far as I heard. It's not the same case for the Morningside and Jefferson Village development though.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me get this straight , you think stopping the thing that may spur development is a good idea? I guess you expect the development fairy to come along and get development going in the area.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"may"

is the point is getting at. It may not spur development or attract Tenants at that. Then the developers and owners would have felt they wasted their time and just abandon the place. That has happened many times here in the City. The Conner Ave. and Mack and Alter Road Development hasn't spurred additional development, now has it?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 891
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they're taking the chance. The last thing this city needs is someone waiting for others to come in and improve the area.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that to the Gateway Park Developers then.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4762
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stretch of extant buildings from the Savarine Hotel towards the Grosse Pointe Park border is one of the best preserved stretches of older commercial strips left in Detroit. Lets hope that it remains that way.

I would love to see the wonderful Art Deco Vanity Ballroom restored to some good use. There are many other nice buildings that could use some TLC. However there are a lot of functioning businesses still in that are.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always loved that building and am very happy to hear of it's (maybe) future.

Was there a bar or club on the ground level back in the 40's 50's?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.