Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Burton Collection and Benson Ford (behind it all) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4656
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently had the opportunity to tour the Burton Collection as well as the Benson Ford behind the scenes and into the stacks. I do not think anyone can comprehend the number of items and artifacts both these places. There are so many images and books…anyone on Dyes would have a field day!

The Burton’s stacks are located in the two basement levels below. I was amazed at the amount of items. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is more than 12,000 square feet of floor space in all. We were able to look around and I randomly came across a section for the architecture firm Donaldson and Meier. It had their payroll books as well as archived photos of the Stott building under construction.

Now, the Benson Ford Research Center is state of the art. I believe it contains once of the largest corporate archives in the world. It is on three floors and is temperature controlled. There are thousands of archival boxes and sections divided up containing anything and everything about Detroit and the auto industry. An interesting section has a dozen or so boxes labeled “Ford and the NAZI Party.” Anyone else ever go behind the scenes at any of these places???

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, which specialty are you pursuing? I'm curious as to the various tasks of the different MLIS specialties because I'm afraid of chosing wrong and being bored to tears in a job.

Living in the Burton, Bentley, or Clements, or at a place like Greenfield Village would be my dream job (as long as the wage is at least livable). Not being a history major will probably be a handicap, though. :-(

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4657
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly archiving but not sure yet. Gotta admit, you wouldn't have even wanted to leave these places. They are loaded with so much history.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup--beware of "paradise pay" at institutions like you list.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.