Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Wow! Rock Financial Design.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow check out this new video for plans of Rock Financial on the Monroe and Hudson Block, also University @ Capitol Park.....Im guessing U of Michigan will have a spot there? Looks nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LJxSnw4Lq3I

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5743
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is nothing more than a design workshop. It clearly states that on the video.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting nonetheless. I like the idea of infill, infill, infill for Bricktown. Let's fill that up as a nice residential bridge between downtown/Greektown and the riverfront. It has tons of potential.

This really had nothing to offer regarding Rock except the simple idea that a mixed-use, major building complex should be built on the Hudson's Block, which everyone agrees on.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOOOOOOO Misleading! :-( <313>

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats cool though....nice

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And sooooo old

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dumbest thing ever.

Milford
Username: Milford

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pause the video at 1:54 and look at where JLA is on the map. Looks like that's the location of the new arena.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure this is a design workshop BUT it highlights in 2+ minutes many of the thoughts what we discuss here in hundreds of posts.

One can pick little tidbits.

Someone said, "So goes Detroit, so goes the region" (think I got that quote correct).

That is a theme of mine: If downtown Detroit fails, Detroit fails. If Detroit fails, the whole region will suffer badly. Detroit can't be another Phoenix - no downtown and all disconnected suburbia.

Lot of the buzz words and concepts we use, e.g., "in-fill opportunities", sports and entertainment district, assets, etc.

P.S. Is it an accident that this 4-day workshop was held at DTE which is trying to be a good neighbor to MGM, trying to make their campus better for their employees, and beautify the immediate area? (that is another thread which was started today).

Kudos to DTE and UofM for their positive energies.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm such a sucker...can't believe I clicked that link.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see anything about a Rock Financial design, just a U of M workshop.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the designs was called something like Woodward Place, and it was on the Hudson block. It is the same type of development that has been planned for the site above the parking garage. Nothing actually saying this was Rock Financial's headquarters plans.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE has hosted the UM charrette teams for several years at their HQ building.

The past work can be found here:
http://www.tcaup.umich.edu/cha rrette/index.html

Also check the FAQ link.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are some pretty nice concepts and I see a high rise as well!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a pretty nice conceptual skyline on slide 10 here.

http://www.tcaup.umich.edu/cha rrette/BelleIslanders03.pdf

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slides 5 and 6 show and idea that is incredibly important to me. We've got to break up the superblocks north of Jefferson, even if it means disrupting the original idea of Lafayette Park. There should also be infill housing along the rebuilt streets on all that open space in the various suburban style superblocks. Jefferson needs to become a mainstreet, too, as slide 6 indicates.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the biggest problems of architecture education is that in college, many of the real-world issues are left out: you can basically do whatever you want! So don't look for any of this to be anything developed. It certainly is little beyond a conceptual study. Unfortunately after entering the real world of architecture practice I realised how much developers rule! Where the money is is where the building will take place.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you notice the new hockey area location at the end of the film?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Chin Tiki is going down according to that concept.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Church along with it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.