Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fireworks in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a story about shooting off fireworks in your neighborhood?
We had a guy who was missing a few fingers from past fireworks miscues in the Winthrop Street area.
Some guys never learn.
Of course, there are fireworks (bullets flying) year round in some areas.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have several stories from long ago when we were young and foolish. No injuries. We were surprisingly careful for kids -- probably due to model rocketry safety training.

We discovered you could legally buy, unmixed, from out of state, the ingredients for the silver powder used in firecrackers. We only mixed enough for each use. I don't know whether you can still buy that legally.

The largest firecracker we ever made was about a foot long with endplugs cut from a broomhandle so the tube must have been about 1-inch I.D. The endcaps were literally bolted on after filling it half full (it needs O2). We buried it 1 foot underground with a long fuse and used a wheel barrow for a blast shield.

I was the loudest blast I'd ever heard. It left a 3-foot crater.

In unison, we all said "Oops" before scattering to the four winds. The gravel rained down on the neighborhood for what seemed like a full minute.

No damage was reported.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well fortunately no one's face was blown off.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.