Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Demo & rehab of old buildings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested to know if anyone here has taken on the task of gutting an old house/church/school/building and made it liveable. This is something I'm looking into right now and it would be great to hear any stories or get some helpful tips in the way of resources (i.e. architects, contractors). Thanks in advance.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice name. Graphic Designer or Printer I'm guessing?

Cmyk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, my business card says Creative Director but that's just a big boy name for Graphic Designer.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a ton of magazines about that right now: nest, Dwell, etc. There's also a great book called How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They're Built: by Stewart Brand.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome CMYK...
yep. helpful tips:
1.it will take you longer time wise and will cost you more money than you think.
2.It is also very gratifying.

3.you can find lots of used building materials on curbs/freecycle sites...

also, 5.check old threads. We've had numerous discussions about this.

Cmyk

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys. While I appreciate the fatherly advice, I was looking for something more substantial. I'm familiar with books, magazines, and garbage bag treasures. What I was hoping for was hard facts from a reader who has already done this and what I could expect as far as zoning issues or a a good lead on a architect/contractor. Thanks again, I'll check the old threads.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^What are you looking to find out? Your question is VERY general in nature, so it's hard to give an answer. Please be more specific.

Cmyk

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my previous comment clearly states what I'm looking for. Short of typing it again, I don't think I can be any more specific.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2813
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^You named four different building types and asked for "stories or helpful tips".

So here's a tip: make sure any structural steel exposed to the elements is galvanized. Same goes for any structural steel in contact with exterior masonry.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't fill a dumpster to the very top with cinderblock.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact edmund place,achitectural salvage. warmtraining.org for materials. Architectural salvage also guts buildings so talking to them may be helpful to talk to. Many of the local nonprofits have done renovation work. the guy down the street from me is redoing his 1895 house that he just bought in corktown. I know of two pretty good architects as well. If you want to keep historic integrity intact talk to jim Turner of Turner restoration he only does window restoration but his quality is far better than wallside or any new window. I will contact the architects to get you some links.

Turners info is Turner Restoration
turnerrestoration@sbcglobal.net
Insured - Specialty: Restoration of steel casement and wood windows. Restoration was less expensive than replacement windows and the results are far superior. His crew also handled exterior painting of our home and we were very please with their work.
He is on the board of preservation wayne as well as many others.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on July 02, 2007)

Cmyk

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent! Thanks, Urbanoutdoors this is what I was looking for. Please do post links to your favored architects at your convenience and thanks for the leads.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another hint: a 40 yard dumpster will seem really big when it first arrives. You'll need more of them than you think.

Eastsideboy
Username: Eastsideboy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to talk to Joel Landy who owns the restored Hotel (now apartments -- name escapes me) at Woodward and Charlotte, about 1/2 mile N of the new baseball stadium (opposite side of the street). There's a classy restaurant on the ground floor. Joel also owns a few other buildings in that area and he did a school a few years back.
Also, St charles school on Townsend (I think) near Jefferson -- a bunch of artists were living there about 15 years ago--they'd turned the classrooms into loft spaces.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure to cut those ghetto palms off the roof and out of the cracks in the foundations, then paint tree poison on them. Unless, of course, you're fond of ghetto palms!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Ndavies take on a small rehab project downtown somewhere? He should have lots of practical information. Ask for his email.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmyk - As far as a lead on a contractor I would suggest O'Brien Construction they are a General/Construction Manager. They handle several renovation projects in the city for Southwest Housing and others. Both of these companies can be very beneficial to what you are trying to do. Although depending on the size of your project you may want to go another route.

You can email me for additional information cdamico@damicocontracting.com we do a lot of work in the city as well as a personal project I'm working on in the Milwaukee junction area.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, hire a bonded insured security company to keep scrappers out of the building. Install hidden cameras. It makes settling with the security companies insurance company easier if you have video of the security guard helping the scrappers carry stuff out of the building.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually in the middle of this process.

If you are gutting plaster/lathe/utilities/carpet , plan on 40yds of dumpster per 1000sqft of interior...at least that is what I experienced.
Fill with smaller debris first and keep all linear materials pointed in the same direction. A well thought out cute and good dumpster placement can save you tons of labor/money/friends.

If you are gutting it with a ton of people in a day or two, place someone in the dumpster with a rake/shovel/pitchfork to direct materials, this will maximize how much you can fit in it.

I would personally bury copper/galvanized/or any metal to keep scrappers from getting curious to your dumpster or building.

Also make sure your crew has the right personal protective gear. Here is a link to cheap lead-rated respirators

http://store.pksafety.net/3m82n1pare.html

also know if it's an old structure, it's most likely to have lead. http://www.leadsafeusa.com/

if you have more questions i'd be happy to let you know what I found.

-dh

(Message edited by DetroitHabitater on July 03, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.