Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tastefest Now Cityfest ; Name Bad & Timing Bad? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hadn't heard anything about the Tastefest so I drove by and saw that the name has been changed to Cityfest. In addition, it doesn't start until the 4th of July.

The name change bothers me because Cityfest doesn't equate an event dealing with the tasting of food. It could mean anything related to the city. Are there going to be other activities that celebrate Detroit specifically?

Also, starting on the 4th seems a bit late. I know the 4th starts in the middle of the week, but I would have started it at least on Tuesday the 3rd to take advantage of those people who have the 4th off and want to hang out before they have to cook on the 4th or take the family out. Even Monday would have been a good day to start. What's your thoughts?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the timing doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me, it's a nice thing to be able to do on the 4th, honestly...

as far as the name goes, i think they had to. at this point the music has become MORE important than the food... the grade "A" acts they are brining in really warrent the festival not being called "tastefest" as for the city part... well, maybe not the sweetest choice, but it works.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn's theory seems sound. It probably went something like this...

TF: Hello, is this Ray Davies' agent? We have a festival here called TasteFest.

RDA: TasteFest? What's that, like a county fair?

TF: No, no, no. It's a festival with food and music in the city.

RDA: Sounds like there'll be kids eating blueberry pie with their hands tied behind their backs.

TF: No, no, no. It's not like that. We have music. Thousands of people come into the city.

RDA: They love food there, huh?

TF: No, no, no ...

I bet that's why the name was changed.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The holiday is in the middle of the week, I think that's why it's late.

I'll be at Spoon on Wednesday! Hooray! It's Cityfest week, or whatever it's called! Fun!

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the food has been pretty weak for some time and has been overshadowed by the music line-up. So it's a good switch.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long is it running? <313>

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad they changed the name over the last few years it has gotten more and more expensive to go and eat at tastefest and there have been less "taste size" things offered. It was to a point where I would eat first and just go down for the music.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call it anything. All that anyone needs to know is that Weird Al will be there playing a free show.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Changing the name was to take, just that, off the focus. Organizers want to foster attention toward the city as a whole not necessarily the food. The fest always happens the weekend of July 4th which is unfortunate that it lands on a Wednesday this year. However, any and all questions can be answered here: www.newcenter.com/cityfest/200 7/home.html

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stupid idea...they will change it back just like the Taurus...

why is it that when the city brands itself we get mad at the brand then try to figure out a way to "upgrade" or change?

why can't we take the branding to the next level? the taurus was no# selling then they discontinue it only to bring it back...so many more to go on - Winterblast, blha blah blah...

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, my favorite band "Spoon" will be performing! I can't believe it's friggin' free. Also, "Yo La Tengo" will be there and don't forget about Mr. Yankovich.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow; you guys have really run out of things to complain about...

[btw: tastefest has always been the week of 4th of july.]

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, my concern about the date is not that it's always been the week of the 4th of July. My complaint is that it opens on the 4th of July instead of a day or two earlier. If the 4th was on a Monday the organizers usually wouldn't wait to start on the fourth. They would have taken advantage of the weekend leading up to the fourth. Did the DEMF start on Memorial Day? Does the Jazzfest start on Labor Day?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna miss Friday, which I was really looking forward to.

Also, I'l like to point out that on the front page of Allmusic.com there is a Cityfest logo. I know that Allmusic is based outside of Ann Arbor, but it's nice to see them put it on the front page.

Unless of course, they serve up a different banner based on your IP.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the dates line up with a couple of weeks in between the art festival and this. It's nice to have so many parties in the city but I don't think it would be as fun if they were back to back to back. It's good to have them spread out a bit. Besides, as far as I can remember it's always been pretty close to the fourth? Maybe I'm wrong...

But yeah, the music is fantastic this year and has been getting better every year. I'm looking forward to Lupe Fiasco and (don't laugh) Weird Al... =) I'm a dork, it's ok. Something about that accordian turns me on. Ok maybe not.

And DetroitNerd, thanks for the chuckle... =)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so it would be better if it started the friday before and ran till the 4th? i mean really, 6 to one half a dozen to the other. are we just complaining to complain at this point?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, am I the only one who thought that they called it TasteFest to downplay the urban aspect of it? Would they have called it CityFest even 10 years ago? It suggests perceptions of how desirable urban areas are is changing. If so, so much the better.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Cityfest logo on allmusic.com when I access it from NYC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.