Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 3-D-Pre-Pearl Harbor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pre-Pearl Harbor, just barely.

RE: McClellan & E. Warren

Our east side neighborhood was dominated by males. 56 to be exact as opposed to 36
females, four of whom were my sisters. The ages of the males ranged from seven to the early
twenties. Girls in our neighborhood were viewed as being insignificant. It was a most egregious
attitude of chauvinism. Contrary to what you might think, there was a very peaceful harmony
within the group of males. There was no bullying or chastising or teasing of the weaker strain.
However, if a stranger came into our neighborhood and said something sarcastic, he would soon
find himself separated from his trousers which would be stored up in the nearest tree or light post.
In the summer of 1941, everything was peaceful. Mindy was still in Jackson State Prison
and Blackie was being released from Juvenile Detention. Paul, who ratted on Blackie, was not
very happy about Blackie coming home. Speculation was that Paul had a urinary problem every
time Blackie’s name was mentioned. But that is another story.
I do not remember when Detroit was named the “Arsenal of Democracy.” By the summer
of ‘41, employment was rampant and immigration could not keep up. Some of the immigrants
from the South were a little strange. Like the family that moved in across the street from our
house. If one of us kids were on the sidewalk in front of their house, the mother would start
screaming at the top of her voice, “You DIRTY Nazi’s, You DIRTY Nazi’s! We retaliated by
calling back, You Dirty Nuttzy, You Dirty Nuttzy!
All the older guys in our neighborhood were working in factories and shops making the
unheard of sum of $ 1.00 per hour and all the overtime they wanted. Some of them were bringing
home checks of $ 100.00 per week. It was unbelievable.
My gang, of ages 12 to 14, did not have a real conception of the war in Europe and I
certainly did not. We had no idea of what was to come.
I was clicking it off with my eighth grade girl friend and I was in a state of pre-pubescent
euphoria. On Halloween night, my world came crashing down when she dumped me for a guy
named Roy. I suspect that Roy smelled better than me. In those days, you took a bath only on
Saturday night.
The effect on me of the dumping was horrific. I began to make plans.
Then came Pearl Harbor.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4622
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tponetom, that was almost like a Readers Digest story. Thanks.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom's trying to give us some valuable first-hand history of Detroit. Cut him some slack.

3 D - the Dinosaur Days of Detroit

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4371
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah that was an interesting read....Tpon r u a writer?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom you remind me of a more serious Jean Shepard. Your a great story teller!

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom,
When i get a house and a kitchen and a dining room, will you come over for dinner? Pleeease!!! How the hell (well i know the answer to this as my great grandfather also got in good with one of the big banks during the depression, he was a carpenter, which led to my grandfather building most of the suburbs during post WWII) did we go from the dynacism (word?) of city living and the wonderful memories you have of them, to such isolation of suburban living? Geography of nowhere aptly describes the stark contrast of today's america with your amazing sense of belonging to a place and a culture. I am so jealous, please write more as often as you possibly can!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.