Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Underground Railroad Heritage Destination « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if this was posted here or not. I don't remember reading it and the search doesn't really work well so I apologize if it's come up already. And it's along the same lines as the perhaps the lack of promoting our motown and techno heritage.

A few months back there was a small article about a new cycling route following the Underground Railroad, but a route completely bypassing Detroit and heading over to Buffalo/Niagara for the crossing. You can see the map at http://www.adventurecycling.or g/routes/ugrrmap.cfm

The group that created the route in conjunction with the Center for Minority Health was the Adventure Cycling Association. Now, of course, it's niche tourism, but every little bit counts. Now to be fair the CMH is out of Pittsburgh so passing closer in that direction makes sense for their interests. But oddly enough Detroit/Essex-Chatham, and this whole area are completely left out of even the area of interest.

So I guess I'm just wondering if the city, the Wright Museum and others in the area do enough to promote this heritage. There is nothing specific on the CVB or city websites or even on the Wright Museum site. What could be done to better promote it? The Windsor CVB actually does have a section dedicated to African Canadian Heritage under "Points of interest" but perhaps it needs more?

In my opinion it wouldn't require as much in the way of money as much as organizing things better along both sides of the border packaging all the sites of interest in a single easy to access package.
Top of pageBottom of page

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be the bike crossing into Canada? No way you can ride across Ambassador or Blue Water. Not that i'd be opposed to getting Calatrava to design a strictly pedestrian crossing:-).

http://www.calatrava.info/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.