Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tiger Stadium "Tour" - 8/12/06 [Pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After almost a year, I have finally posted a "tour" around Tiger Stadium, using pictures I took during my visit to Detroit last August. Given the current debate over the Stadium's future, I thought it an especially appropriate time to post this. This Forum's very own Kathleen led my tour, so thanks to her!

Click on the following link to get to the first page of the tour:
http://picasaweb.google.com/CP ics710/TigerStadiumAugust12200 6/photo#5081716388712270370

Please let me know what you all think. I hope this will spur further discussion. All comments are greatly appreciated!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 349
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool pics. I worked there in the last years of the stadium. Lots of great memories.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed these pics so much, I blogged about them, and linked to the slideshow...excellent work.

http://thepopulistblog.com/200 7/06/portraits-of-detroit-lost .html

Cman710

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Hardliner! If you'd like to credit them, you can credit them to me, Charles Molluzzo. Thanks very much for blogging them!

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics!

Wish you had a pic of the Chinese restaurant there. I believe it actually opened the last year the Tigers were at the stadium.

I see that homeless guy sitting at the building every day I leave from work on the bus.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks CMAN, very cool!

Cman710

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone. I don't remember seeing a Chinese restaurant. Where exactly was it located?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was directly across Michigan avenue from the end of the Tiger Dean, between Maxie's and the Marathaon station.

If you keep going left in this shot:
http://picasaweb.google.com/CP ics710/TigerStadiumAugust12200 6/photo#5081717221935926306

It was right there.

I went to that restaurant in May of the final season, the owner there only set it up for the last year because he knew they would be gone and was shooting for the quick buck (at least that was the impression I had when I was there)

Cman710

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. It is interesting that an owner would set up a restaurant for only one year. I would think that startup costs for most businesses would make it nearly impossible to profit in such a situation, but maybe he had a cheap setup, or had the equipment from a former business.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not positive that it was just one year, but it sure seemed like it.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed your photo show and commentary, Cman710. (I must say, your style of photography seems oddly familiar to me). Thanks for the sad and interesting look at a park where all of us have a million memories. Looking through them brought up that same feeling one gets when thinking back on Hudson’s, or the Stroh brewery. How I would like to take just one more look inside, as I am sure the same ghostly feelings would arise. The razing of Tiger Stadium will add to the growing list of historical structures that will disappear from Detroit in our life time.

Cman710

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the comments, Bullet. I would love to take a look inside, too. That would be possible before any demolition, but I wonder if it will happen, given the dangers that would be caused to visitors because of structural problems caused by the poor maintenance of the park.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that picture of the wall by the offices where the "old" team logo seems to be overtaking the "new" logo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.