Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » King Kwame at the BET awards. « Previous Next »
Archive through June 30, 2007Ravine164 06-30-07  10:45 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 474
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he looks cool. He was at a BET award show so what it is the leader of the largest black city in the US making an appearance!?! How should he have dressed like every other lying snake politician?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOT about race NOT about politics

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Langston Hughes, in his essay, 'The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain' ,lamented the veiled desire of some Black artist to be white. Such artist were afraid of their own authenticity. He argued that the Black middle class was denying an intricate association to its heritage by discording the beauty of [its] own people, and that Negroes should stop imitating 'Nordic manners, Nordic faces, Nordic air, and Nordic Art.' Instead, he argued that Negroes should embrace the 'low-down folks, the so-called common element, as they are the majority'. He also argued that the 'common people' will give to the world its truly great Negro Artist, 'the one who is not afraid of Himself'.

Hughes trust in 'Black authenticity' continues to be relevant in contemporary times, as we[Blacks]continue to define our place in the hostile larger society__In other-words Keep it real Mr. Mayor!

blksoul-atcha!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5733
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then quit giving him responses, moron, a definition and term actually much more befitting of you, being one of the more intellectually dishonest amongst us and all. Until you (and a few others who do really 'protest too much') can stop apologizing for your hate of this public figure that's rooted in nothing concerning his policies, the only one deserving of the term you're throwing around is yourself. More telling than anything else in this thread have been the very first and third posts of the thread. The rest of you have done nothing more than try and apologize for the motives and reasons for starting this thread in the first place.

"Wow. A black guy in a white suit."

Yes, I do agree: Wow, could you and others be any less subtle about your motives?

Kilpatrick's success or failure as a mayor, like any other mayor in this country, should rest on what the success of failure of his policies. It's much more than unfortunate that the mayor going to the BET awards seems to be played up akin to praising a staunch segregationist at his birthday party, attending a Communist rally, or rubbing shoulders with NAMBLA. And, the criticism of his dress, and in some cases not even making subtle that this has to do about race, shows how incredibly illegitimate and irrelevant this criticism is.

Seriously, the only people being fooled are those that think they are fooling everyone else. The idea that the mayor, just by his presence, misrepresented Detroit by either simply going to the BET awards or by his dress is laughably ridiculous. Unless you can find some bad behavior, the other arguments are silly, at best, which say a lot about those trying to bash him over going to the events or his dress.

This, like quite a few other threads with absolutely no substance concerning the mayor, are internet lynchings, plain and simple. The anonymity of the internet turns punks into big men...in their twisted little minds, of course. You don't have to like Mayor Kilpatrick's policies, in fact, you don't even have to like him as a person if you can find good reason to find fault in his personal character. But, when you have to lower yourself to such pettiness as tearing apart and obsessing about his fashion choices, and trying to make some of the events he's gone to into events comparable to the meetings of the Axis of Evil, perhaps, the problem is not with Mayor Kilpatrick, perhaps, the problem is with you, your own narrow-mind, and your antiquated 1950's view of the world.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 01, 2007)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4460
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Libelous = ...harmful and often untrue; tending to discredit or malign. wordnet.princeton.edu

It can be a tort too, but libel is libel whether one is sued for it or not. To even entertain the notion that Kwame might stoop to sue one on an internet forum for libel borders on delusions of grandeur. He has far bigger fish to fry and is too smart to get into a catfight with a nobody.

Bullshit libel is a legal term with specific legal meanings. Referring to Mayor Kilpatrick or any other public figure as a crook is neither libelous or slanderous. Whether or not the Mayor would actually sue over these comments in irrelevant. The question is whether or not the Mayor could sue over such comments. He couldn't because the comments were not technically libelous.

I think attempts to taint such comments as libelous by some selective "non-legal" definition could have the effect of a chilling effect on free speech. You are muddling the water between what is protected speech and what is actionable. It wasn't that long ago that someone was accused of libel and/or slander on this Forum because he posted information from public documents. I can't imagine anything more restrictive to the notions of and values of free speech than trying to suppress information from the public record.

(Message edited by Jelk on July 01, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find interesting about the mayor's trip to the BET Awards is that he thought that it was important that he be there. So what I want to know is, "Did he go on city business or did he go simply for personal reasons?" Given the fact that Mayor Kilpatrick is not the mayor of an entertainment city, I can't see him there on city business so he must have gone for personal reasons, right?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he got those threads at the Old Louis the Hatter-at least it wasn't lime green or orange!!!

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"White parties", as far as I can remember since 1980, are very prominent amongst the gay society. Looks like Blacks are copying, once again, trends in the gay culture. Lawd, have a blessed day!

Whitey-atcha!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...zzzzzzzzzzz...wha...huh? Oh, good post Lmich. That should pretty much sum up everything but some people just love to keep the pot stirring. And exactly what trend have black people stole from the gays? I doubt that. Anyway....ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz... ..

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is on the Down-Low. Fedoras are all that this season amongst the gay society. Henry the Hatter & City Slicker are definitely out of the loop. The shoes. Come on, need to see the shoes.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moderator: Please move this thread so as to better connect with the Ferndale and NYC hookup threads.

Eric_w

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one don't care why he went. It's his right to go out once & while to have some fun. Detroit is in dire straits but even if the mayor was working 24-7 it won't get the problems solved in a week.
As for his fashion I think he looks more like a hip type than the leader of a so-called major city. Having said that I've noticed since I was a boy black men tended to dress more flamboyantly than whites. In the & 70's the " Superfly " look was in on the urban scene. Isn't that where the phrase Being or looking "Fly" came from? I saw more than one black dude with a bright orange ,yellow or lime green suit with a hat to match. Hey everyone has their idea of cool dress. What about punk rockers in the 70's & 80's or the Disco era?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee I haven't been on in a week...and this is still a "major" topic. Of course anything negative on the mayor is always top billing. I guess now that Paris is out of jail might as well start back on him. Maybe after he wins re-election again suburbanites will stop bashing him.

Fasteddie
Username: Fasteddie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pimpin' ain't easy!

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's embarrassing, that is plain ignorant behavior.
be a man kwame... not a cliche.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5747
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignorant behavior? How did he behave badly? Did you hear something I didn't?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is, he was THERE in the first place, instead running Detroit. He's not a freaking rap star or movie star or "producer". Why go to another industry's (entertainment, as opposed to government) annual gathering?

Did he spend taxpayer money on expenses to this thing? Airfare is mighty expensive these days! Hotel? Hmmm...

The man needs to know his place. If KK wants to promote the city, and if he's really that talented at it, he should step down and join the city's PR dept.

Think of your own jobs:
When you're in accounting, you don't go over to engineering and start drawing up specs for a project! You don't know what the heck you're doing...and YOUR JOB doesn't get done. Same diff.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/K wame_Kilpatrick_audio.aspx

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9512
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The point is, he was THERE in the first place, instead running Detroit. He's not a freaking rap star or movie star or "producer". Why go to another industry's (entertainment, as opposed to government) annual gathering?

Did he spend taxpayer money on expenses to this thing? Airfare is mighty expensive these days! Hotel? Hmmm...

The man needs to know his place. If KK wants to promote the city, and if he's really that talented at it, he should step down and join the city's PR dept.

Think of your own jobs:
When you're in accounting, you don't go over to engineering and start drawing up specs for a project! You don't know what the heck you're doing...and YOUR JOB doesn't get done. Same diff.

A lot of speculation with no real information.

The thought that the mayor should not be promoting the city is ridiculous.

As for being there instead of running the city: Do you know why he was there? Business or leisure? Do you get outraged when any other politican is out of town on personal time or does this only apply to the mayor?

Your outrage is irrational and misguided.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was in Cleveland meeting w/ Dan Gilbert a few weeks ago and got bashed for being there - even though his people said he was there for work. NOW we are getting closer to Quicken being downtown. Even IF the mayor finds a cure for cancer people will still bash him. He is a lightening rod plain and simple. And I am glad I voted for that lightening rod because he is getting stuff done!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mayor looked fine. I've seen the president in his cowboy outfit for functions appropriate to that attire. Much ado about nothing.

This is late, but the following is a regular lament from a certain poster.

quote:

And, again, calling Mayor Kilpatrick by his first name, which is as close to calling him 'boy' as you can get, is disgusting, and some people are too instilled with terrible values to even see the total disrespect and degradation in all of this.

I don't agree that we should only refer to politicians by their last names or by formal titles. They haven't been anointed by a higher power -- they're people, and they work for us. It's a disingenuous position, too, because every time the poster trots this out, there is a recent example of calling a politician by his middle initial and/or derogatory nickname. Hypocrisy.

quote:

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5664

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:06 pm: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Or that complete failure of a leader 'Curious George' Dubya, take your pick. :-)

We all know that it is only in Michigan that unions exists and negotiate deals, right? lol

Eric_w

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a little tidbit to show the mayor he's not alone. I was channel surfing & tuned in the Espy awards on ESPN- there I saw Dwayne Wade being interviewed & he had a white suit with a white hat on. I thought he looked like the mayor only skinny. "Very stylish". Maybe the mayor is a fashion icon
On refering the the mayor as " Kwame" many used to refer to Coleman young as simply Coleman and I notice that many well known blacks have been refered to by the first names only:
ML King often called simply Martin
Michael Jordan- Michael
Marvin Gaye-Marvin
Shaquile O,Neal- Shaq
Kareem Abdul Jabbar- Kareem
and nicknames:
Larry Bird: aka Bird
Charles Barkley aka Sir Charles
Terrell Owens- T.O.
Earvin Johnson AKA Magic
Julius Erving aka Dr. J.
Bill Clinton aka Bubba,Slick Willie
and so on & so on.......

Didn't seem to do them any harm

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple things I noticed that I felt I had to chime in on.

<quote>
The situation in Iraq is desperate, but the president will be at his ranch in Crawford Texas in August, and congress will be taking their "August recess".

The Supreme Court has a full docket of cases, but they already are on "summer recess".

Governor Granholm has lots of problems with the Michigan economy, but that won't stop her from enjoying the governors mansion on Mackinac Island this summer.

So a one day jaunt by KK to the BET awards should be criticized when we have more serious problems to worry about in Detroit?

Lets keep things in proper perspective...

===== The President can always handle anything from anywhere. Do not confuse his resources with KK's resources. The Supreme Court will always have a "full" docket of cases. There is a strong chance that Granholm gets work done from the Gov's Mansion on Mackinac (but that I don't know - something you and I have in common). How many Detroit problems can KK solve sitting at the Awards show? Please don't confuse or compare KK to other politicians. As their predicaments may seem similar in many ways, they are not.

<quote>
I watched the NBA draft yesterday which has been known in the past for very loud, look-at-me type of suits worn by many of the draftees. Last night every player except one who was in attendance had on what most people would consider to be very conservative attire. Conservative, but very sharp. They all looked very good. The one exception was Joakim Noah who seemed to be stuck in a 1970's time warp on prom night.

I very much doubt that all these players are conservative by nature in how they dress. I'm sure their agents impressed upon them the importance of presenting a certain image to corporate America.

I just thought it was funny that 19-21 year old young men understand the importance of presenting a certain image, but the 36/37 year old mayor of Detroit seems clueless about it. If Kwame was at the draft in the suit pictured above, hanging out with the 19 year olds he would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

=== A great point. Often, people in compromised situations are advised as to how to present themselves and what will be in the best interest for them in regards to actions, words, appearances and destinations. I don't think KK was advised and/or took the advice of his cohorts in this scenario. He should be worried about the image he casts and what people think because it is KK himself that has to overcome and defeat the negative publicity and growing unpopular criticism through his own actions. It will not be the public who decide to stop parading his actions while he is in office.

<quote>
You know, when I posted this thread my intent was not about his clothing but the fact that his city is dying and several violent murders have taken place in the last week involving young people and there he is in Hollywood at some entertainment show. What's more important? Seeing the mayor on the BET awards show or seeing him in front of city hall making comments about these senseless shootings and what he plans to do keep the citizens from turning into vigilantes in order to protect themselves.

==== I too still wonder when the mayor will address the touchy subject of crime and murder in the city. He has done great things to bring attention back to the city such as the numerous sporting events, planned reconstructions, new arenas, that have been centered in the D. Maybe he is an entertainment junkie??!! He certainly likes being int he spotlight.
Seriously, if you people are sick of being a city that is at the end of every joke and thought of as a city that is not safe to go into by the rest of this nation, you need to speak up and let the city representatives know that it is not OK to galavant around the USA *UNTIL* our current problems are fixed.

Isn't everyone entitled to some R&R? I guess so.
So why is KK on the hot seat? He got what he wanted most...... the chance to fix this city up (twice). I don't think he has lived up to a lot of peoples expectations. There are still so many areas in the city negatively affecting the way of life and repressing thousands upon thousands of people daily.

Here is a good benchmark -- When owners voluntarily take bulletproof glass out of 50% of the liquor stores inside the city of Detroit, then KK can visit/play in 50% of the other states. 100% = 100%. Kind of like a pay-per-performance.

Sounds fair to me.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4861
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, I am glad that you know all the technical issues for what the Pres and Gov can get done at their summer retreats, and what KK cannot get done in Los Angeles. Few of us are privy to all the communications and technological issues as you seem to be.

And another thing you have mixed up... KK wasn't ON THE SHOW.... he was at the show and someone took a photo of him... much ado about nothing...

You don't seem to be too worried about the impression that Bush makes when he's dressed in Cowboy Boots, jeans and a cowboy shirt and hat... what kind of message does that send to the business community? Talk about a double standard??

KK could be dressed at a hoe down in Nashville wearing cowboy boots, and some folks would still try to make a meal out of a morsel...

This stupid thread should have died a long time ago...

(Message edited by Gistok on July 17, 2007)

Tkshreve

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could really care less about what KK wore while attending the awards show. Much like I could care less about what George Bush wears whens he tours the country. I am very curious to hear the message that George Bush sends when dressed in cowboy garb to the business community. Isn't he from Texas???

I was commenting upon KK's lack of consideration towards what his critics might do in reaction to his:
1. undeserved "time off" and
2. choice of attire.

It is obvious that if the situation is this highly sensationalized in the thread, then consider how big the issue could potentially be outside of this forum. His choice of clothes was somewhat edgy and daring for a Mayor -TO SOME PEOPLE-, but definitely in compliance and acceptance for an awards party. BTW - I don't recall saying he was in the show..... where did you decipher that perception? Because I said he was "sitting"?

Thanks for assuming I am "privy" to all politicians technical capabilities at their respective summer retreats. If you read my post again, (and please do) I actually declined knowing what gets done (besides the president, who yes, can get things done from anywhere), and instead attacked the fact that you somehow "DO" know what gets done, or lack there-of during those governmental "recesses".

Consequently, KK would likely get a positive nod if he dressed up like Chuck Norris (WTR) in my opinion. At least he would be catering to the masses and attempting to relate himself with other personal interests (like Bush does).

Gistok-
I happen to think this issue is bigger than just what he wore, but you insist upon calling it a morsel. Some people have strong criticisms and high expectations of Detroit politicians, but I would begin to presume you do not hold in contention the image and reputation of Detroit's leader. It is merely a personal choice.

Gistok

Post Number: 4863
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve... I am white and live in St. Clair Shores...

I didn't even support KK during the last election.

But I do think that people are nit-picking about him on this issue. It is none of any of our business when to tell KK he can take his vacation. Nor is it any of our business to tell him what to wear when he is out of town AS A PRIVATE CITIZEN.

There are issues I care about, such as his "charity" that paid for his lavish vacation in a spa in California.

But what he wears to a BET award (where he is NOT representing Detroit, and is NOT drumming up business) as a private citizen is much ado about nothing.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. Pick on him for all the big gaffes he's made, but this is small potatoes...

Granmontrules

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah remember all the hell the mayor took over being in Cleveland a few months ago. Then Quicken announced the mayor was there meeting with Dan Gilbert as a guest at sporting event. NOW we are close to Quicken moving downtown. Maybe the mayor was at the BET awards as a guest drumming up business with Michael Jordan or who knows who? Bottomline he is a mayor of a large predominantly black population. He needs to work with other black organizations to raise money and awareness and re-election campaigns and for the City of Detroit. This entire thread is so stupid.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gentlemen are right that we are no one to tell the Mayor when he can take his vacation, or what he is to wear. That is not the citizens place at all.

However, when he leaves Detroit, he is still representing the city. This is the life he chose. Every move he makes will be scrutinized to the finest detail, which leads to the fact that he has to be extremely careful of each decision he makes. How he acts, where he goes, the company he keeps, the clothes he wears and the things he says are criticized by the media and many people (especially those who oppose his council and bash our city) and used against him to make our city and its' servants look like a joke to the rest of the nation.

Gistok

Post Number: 4875
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds as though because the Channel 2, Channel 4, and Channel 7 news hounds follow his every step and misstep, that he should always wear suits and be more careful in his appearance than even the President of the USA.

So now you're saying he should live his life in a fishbowl because the local news team are always within camera range.

That's complete and utter bull.... maybe you should be questioning why the local news does what it does, rather than the mayor?

At least KK knows what Hollywood stars go thru with all the paparazzi...

You make it sound like KK should be held to a higher standard than either CAY or Archer.

Like the diamond earring thing, this whole argument really is silly. It reminds me of the horror that the British Aristocracy went thru when Prince Charles wife Camilla was caught chewing gum in public... something that appalled the British press.

I certainly hope that KK doesn't EVER chew gum in public... oh the scandal that would produce! :-(

Eric_w

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:"I certainly hope that KK doesn't EVER chew gum in public... oh the scandal that would produce! "
No scandal but if he can walk at the same time that would put him ahead of a folks

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.