Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fireworks Photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many of you I went downtown for the fireworks. It was a great time and since im a photo nut I had my camera with me. I had a pretty good seat just north of downtown so i got to see the show with the skyline in the foreground. Here are a few of the shots. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/646415502/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/648705650/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/650054192/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/650054354/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/649244603/

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah! Unique angle, Southen. Thx for posting!

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Southen. Wish I could have been there too!!

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice work, manual settings or automatic?

Southen

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely manual. I had to play around to see what exposure would capture the skyline nicely as well as freeze the fireworks a bit. It was the first time Ive tried to capture fireworks and im pretty pleased with how they turned out.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how difficult fireworks must be to capture (I haven't tried yet since I only got my camera a month or so ago), so I think that's a great first try. Good work!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrific photos, Southen. You really have talent! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The view was great from my condo in Brush Park.

I wish I took some of my own pictures to share with you all of the 1/2 dozen people I yelled at for peeing in my front yard, my back yard, and next to my car. I wish I also had a pic of the guy with his pants saggin' down to his knees who threatened me and threw up gang signs at me when I told him to stop peeing. I wish I captured the moment when a lovely couple passed their 2 year old son back and forth as they sucked on a joint and exhaled right in the face of the little scamp (I'm not lying). Or maybe a picture of the young kids singing, word for word, to every profane lyric on the hip hop music that mom and dad were blasting out of their cars. Also, I'm sure you guys would have loved a snapshot of the broken glass and tons of litter left behind.

I really can't wait until next year's fireworks!! I think I am going to buy a machine gun and build a bunker out of sand bags in my living room.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on June 28, 2007)

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry to threadjack above, Southen. They are really cool pics. Where where they taken from?

Southen

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it was a good time kid_dynamite?.....jk Sorry to hear you had those issues.

The shots I took were from the top of the Park Avenue Hotel just outside of downtown. Fantastic view.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid-LMAO

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 377
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What setting did you end up with on the first pic? To freeze an ovject you increased the shutter speed?

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid, I wish you had taken them. Fireworks are pretty an all, but I wouldn't hang them in my living room. Pissing gang signs? Puff, puff, pass the baby? That would be an excellent conversation piece.

Let's just hope the sports championship drought holds out for ya.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, the third shot is a fave. Good work as always.
Hey Kid_dynamite, I wish you had taken those shots too! Please, next year invite me over. The retards in this city are something...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen-
As a bit of a thread jack, I've got a few camera Q's for you.

I've have fun with what little I've done with my old Canon S230 point and shoot. But I'm really considering getting a digital SLR. However, I have no idea which to choose.

I will say the Canon XTi is a bit small for my hands, but otherwise seems like a good entry-level DSLR. That Nikon D40X also seems to get good reviews, but doesn't come with software for editing RAW images and apprently doesn't have some sort of dust reduction mechanism. Also, it has the autofocus motor in the lens and not the body, apparently making lens selection smaller.

For that reason, I'm considering the D80 (I think the D200 is too much money). What do you think of the D40X vs the D80? Solves the dust thing and the lens thing, but not the RAW software thing.

And beyond that, how about the Canon 30D?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Lastly, I've seen some of these photos that seem to have a very contrasted, almost surreal look to them. Like everything is crisper and brighter than it really is. There is some term for this right? Some camera setting to get that type of shot? What is that called and do any of the cameras I mention above have that ability?

Oh, and lastly, I need a new computer soon. Always used PC. For photo editing, you a Mac guy or PC guy? I'm considering switching as the Mac seems to have everything I'd want included. Just a little reluctant to have to learn a new setup. Vista seems cool, but I know a couple people with it and it seems to be having some serious issues. Slow sometimes, network connection issues, etc. Looks cool but reliability wise it seems to not be quite up to snuff. Should I get the mac?

Back on topic: Love the photos!

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was revolting. But I will invite you over if you bring a tazer with you.

Southen

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh - For shutter I used 1.6 and I believe the aperture was at 5.6 if that helps at all. It captured the light of the skyline as well as freezed the action.

Jerome - I used the D50 for a long time until this week when my D200 arrived after 6 months of saving. The fireworks shots were taken with that and im very pleased with how they turned out. As you can see im a Nikon man but I cant argue not going with Canon.

I think the D40X come with 10 mp but the options are very limited. The D80 is also a 10 mp camera and really is more user friendly. I would go with the D80 but it really depends on how much you would like to spend. Both cameras are nice and will take great shots for you.

I think what your refering to in terms of the surreal photographs is the HDR technique I use. Its the process of taking multiple exposures of the same subject (same aperture but different shutter speeds) and then combining them in a program like photoshop cs2 or photomatix. Heres an example of a recent one I tried that turned out good.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/623164025/

Im a Mac guy. I bought my Mac before I really got serious into this photography thing and since I have no complaints. I am looking into getting another one simply for photography since when im working on photos I have soo many programs running that the computer bogs down just a tad. I would definitely recommend the Mac though. It may take some getting used to but I havent run into anyone that doesnt like theirs.

Hope that helps.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, Awesome shots as always. Let me know if you're looking to unload the D50:-).

Kid-D, mind boggling isn't it? makes you wonder what were feeding these people. I went into a gas station somewheres in Highland Park a few weeks back and they have all these gangsta rap CD's lining the counter and windows, hundreds of em. I was in shock, stupefied more like it. Little kids were in there with their parents buying armfuls of garbage candy and chips...is this it? i thought, thousands of years of evolution? reduced to demagogues of murder, violence and instant satisfaction. No wonder half these kids end up on crack and heroin. Where are our afterschool workshops that teach these kids how to build a house, tend a garden, do something productive other than feed into consumerism enmasse?...sorry all, i'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired of all the bullshit i see and that Kid-D wants to murder for. On the other hand, i hear shock therapy goes a long way.

Southen

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jb3. Odds are ill probably hold onto the D50 but ill keep that in mind.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen,
I believe HDR is what I am referring to. So this is done with a computer in processing, not necessarily a "setting" on a digital camera, yes?

I didn't realize it but the first few photos I saw of this stuff, and one was yours!
Saw this one last year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/171657855/

Also like this one (not yours): http://www.flickr.com/photos/u rbantiki/143915361/

And finally, what is this one? Looks sorta HDR, but it seems a bit more "ghostly", like the sharpness is softer? What is this technique called? http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/466248298/

Is flickr the online photo sharing of choice? I've used Kodak PhotoGallery as it seems easier for family and friends to page through than flickr does. What do you like for just sharing photos that are easy for non-computer savvy people?

Ya know, I didn't realize it but most of my favorite detroit shots on flickr are yours. I'm impressed!

Jerome81

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn: http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/119126606/

Southen

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jerome. That "ghostly" shot is a slightly desaturated HDR photo. I personally like using flickr. I think it offers a lot more than some other photo sharing sites, but I use it for more then just sharing with friends and family. I use it for getting critiques and opinions as well which flickr is really good for. You could always try the free account and see if you like it for yourself.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the tallest abandoned skyscraper, Book Tower?

Southen

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Tower is occupied, the Broderick is the tallest in Detroit.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81,

It looks like you've done your homework on dSLR's. I recently bought one myself, and came to many of the same conclusions you did. I ended up purchasing a Digital Rebel XTi because I have smaller hands and I was actually concerned about the D80 being a bit too large for me. In the future, if I stick with photography, I don't think the larger size will be an issue, but for me, the XTi was the best choice for now.

I agree with Southen that the D80 would be a great choice for you, given your preferences. It will have all the features you want, and you can also find it for a reasonable price, too. If you like taking pictures of buildings, like many of us on here, I think the D80 has a grid you can superimpose on the viewfinder, which could be helpful. I wish the XTi had that feature.

For a REALLY in depth review of the D80, take a look at this review: http://www.dpreview.com/review s/nikond80/ That website is actually generally great for camera reviews. It also has a review of the Canon 30D, which is also a great camera, but more expensive than the D80.

When you do buy your camera, check out the prices on Amazon, B&H, or J&R, as I've found that those three have similar prices. Do not buy the camera at a Best Buy or Circuit City, as you'll be paying a good deal more for the same merchandise.

Southen

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my most recent camera and equipment from B&H and have zero complaints.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your talking about the Book Building as a whole, your right. I was under the impression that all tenants of the tower had to leave because of no power. But I guess you could consider Broderick occupied as well with that logic.

Southen

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No im pretty sure power was restored and there still are some tenants in the Book Tower. The Broderick on the other hand is a complete mess on the inside. You wont find scenes like this in the Book Tower:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/254161920/in/set-720575 94105322572/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/258511192/in/set-720575 94105322572/

Southen

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being that it is the 4th of July I figured it would be a bad idea to post some more fireworks shots from the Freedom Festival. Enjoy and I hope everyone has a great holiday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/716491825/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/716492109/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/716492341/

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

again you guys amaze me...thanks

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any from this year. These are a few from years past.

2006a

2006b

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's exciting looking east from my Lafayette Towers apartment right now as I'm watching a good 10-15 displays of various sizes around east Detroit and out on the horizon in the suburban communities.

Regardless of your political opinion, it's always exciting to celebrate freedom!

God Bless America!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4385
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some firework video from Sky 4:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ video/13585155/index.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.