Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit alleyways « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although many alleys were eliminated in the city during slum clearance in the 50s many of them still remain. My issue is with what still remain. Both my house in corktown and my Grand mothers house still have alleys and are frequented by many unwanted visitors. At my grandmothers they saw flats of flowers and hopped the fence and tried to run off with them. At my house the issue is more that of RESPECT. I love my neighborhood but if there is one complaint I have it is the foot traffic. Being located so close to the bagley Trumbull Market the alley is used as a short cut. Unfortunately many of its patrons use it for a restroom as well. What can I Do to stop the flow of traffic through these alleys?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately, there's nothing much you can do to restrict alleyway access, but i've seen some things that might help you out. they are primarily a group/block effort. it helps to have as many people on your block participate. 1.) fencing: making the alleyway closed in for it's entire length tends to dissuade people from using it as a shortcut 2.) those bright outdoor lights: put them on a motion detector to save energy and create the illusion that someone is turning them on and 3.) keep the alley clean and clear: no obstructions = nothing to piss on and no place to hide.

these are just general observations. i don't know if these will be helpful to you or not, but they are some practices put into place in other neighborhoods that seem to work very well.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Petition the city for an alley vacation.

Blocking the alley by yourself could get you in a fair amount of trouble if that alley is still used.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In some places alley vacations do not make sense as many folks who live there use the alley for its intended purpose (a carriageway to the garage). For example, my alley is still open, but no one uses it so it fills with junk. I am lucky in that the junk piles elsewhere as I keep my section of it well maintained.

I also have motion lights in the rear yard. Had I problems with folks peeing back there, I'd be more than happy to put in a camera and put up a sign saying 'you;re being broadcast on the internet'

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the other problem with vacating alleyways is that you still have to provide access to them and cannot build anything above them. they are still easements, because many utilities run underneath or above them (in most cases).

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get motion detectors that turn on a sprinkler. When someone gets close to your fence, they get soaked.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A solution to preventing intruders from using the alley, but still making it accessible to homeowners who use their garages is to put a high fence in the middle of the alley.

This makes it accessible from either end, but prevents its use by pedestrians to a large extent.

Or course, this takes City permission, but it is probably doable since alley garbage pickup is a thing of the past.

One objection might be that such barricades hinder the access of fire trucks. Obviously they should have provision to open for other reasons. But, if lightly constructed a fire truck could push them aside in the event of a fire.

Bob Cosgrove

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very fortunate that my alley is clean and clear...unfortunately, there are some "hostesses" that walk around closer to the main road, but thankfully they have enough respect to drive somewhere else to do their "job." Occasionally there is random garbage that ends up there, as was the case with three decapitated cement lawn deer that found their way against the back wall of my garage, but if you keep on cleaning it, there is nothing to urinate on and no good cover for the hookers to do their dirty work in. Every alley is different, but the good thing about mine is that it is not all grown over, so you can see what goes on. In general, the most dangerous thing that happens there is kids swearing while playing street hockey :-)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love my alley its clean and trash is picked up there. But ofcourse I live in hamtramck. I use my alley as a short cut to walk to Cafe 1923. Ive always loved alleys and the proper use of them. I like garages and trash to be behind the house.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the thing, The alley is quite clean, and free of any obstructions but there is an abandoned auto garage behind me that backs right up to the alley and provides a stoop for the traffic. I have no garage so I have no power access close to the alley. Therefore I have installed a very powerful light on the back of the house for night use but a light has no effect during the day. I let my dog out but only leave her out if I am home because people kick and throw things I just wish the high traffic side of the alley could be cut off.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.