Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit named Vanishing Ghost City « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry People, but Detroit is the only American city in this group. Its sad. I hope things get better for you soon.

http://realestate.aol.com/gall ery/ghost-cities

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mad late son.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, AOL always is late with news.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny; I was driving around the city today and it was teeming with people.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6126
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is not the only city this vanishing. Look at New Orleans, St Louis, Toledo, Rochester, NY. Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee, D.C., Balitmore, Birmingham, ALA, Jackson, MISS. Gary and cities in the U.S. If the people of the city fails to maintain service and race then they would move out and find another city, town or farmland to exploit. That's just what it is in America.

Detroit will be a ghost town soon, even if Detroit reaches of population of 200,000 people. In a matter of fact in the near future, Legislation may change annexation charters and laws to have most the surrounding suburbs to join Detroit as one big regional megalopolis just like Columbus, OH. and Indianapolis IND. in order to stay within the U.S. Census requirements and recieve more federal fundings.

Detroit will rebound soon even if some alien race from another planet can fill this city and make it theirs.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny I found that funny also that they would only mention Detroit.

I figured maybe because Detroits once might fist ruled the world and these other smaller cities just are'nt news worthy to them unfortunately.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would exempt Baltimore from that list. The population decline has stabilized and there is even talk about a possible increase in the next census. Not sure if the others are in the same situation. Also, I seriously doubt Detroit will become a ghost town unless a major catastrophe hit it. The article could have been written by a ten-year old watching to much Sci-Fi TV.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that with the average home currently priced over $400,000, DC ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm morbidly curious to know what Danny means by "maintain service and race".

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than the crimes in Detroit that is shared by every other major city in the world, Detroit is FAR from sad.

It's more of a fascinating story of survival and optimism.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm mildly curious to know why anyone with more than 50 posts and half a brain would ever care to know what Danny means.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The list also mentioned San Francisco.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 755
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm mildly curious to know why anyone with more than 50 posts and half a brain would ever care to know what Danny means."

That was funny and dead on target.

Danindc

Post Number: 2774
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm mildly curious to know why anyone with more than 50 posts and half a brain would ever care to know what Danny means.

Some people are intellectually curious and some people value the opinions of others. I'm sorry if you don't fall into either category.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember they say in the article "if trends continue." This issue is a bit more complex to base Detroit's future off what I like to call surface data. These trends assume we will do nothing to resolve our current problems. You never know what the future holds for Detroit.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 978
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm sorry if you don't fall into either category.

Now you're picking on someone closer to your own IQ!

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Companies that will be gone by 2100:

1. AOL

With fewer and fewer dial up subscribers and the companies failed multimedia website, we will soon see AOL Time Warner drop the first part of their name, AOL.

Danindc

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now you're picking on someone closer to your own IQ!

Wow, you're brilliantly hysterical. Are you 14 or something? Do yourself a favor--don't save that line for your closer.

Prick.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't understand the mentality of most on this forum.

Why on earth do u guys always start fighting with each other simply because your views on a subject are not alike.

Then you will carry that dumb crap from thread to thread belittling each other.

????

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmmm hi Dexter: maybe that is at the core of why Detroit will perhaps become a ghost city? that the people cannot pull together? instead they fight and put each other down...reminds me of my family when I was a kid...but I won't go there...oh too late LOL!

I wish Detroit all the best. I would love to see the city become as fun as it sometimes was during the 50s and early 60s, when I grew up there, on the far east side. come on, you guys, pull together, disagree respectfully, move forward...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one major reason why Detroit will never become a ghost town: access to fresh water.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good point OTTAWA,,,,,,,but there has to be a reason this is being reported this way.

thoughts?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because Detroit has lost something like 60% of its peak population, with no natural disaster or war to account for it, unlike the other big US cities.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it. Detroit is still the 11th largest city in the whole darn country. And if I heard correctly today (on tv) that Detroit's population may have stopped skidding - that Detroit may still be the 10th largest city (at least for the moment).

Just because people are leaving doesn't make Detroit a ghost town. At least in my opinion.

Professorscott

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we've gone from, what was it, fourth to eleventh? And there is no evidence that the population of the City as a whole has stabilized; at least, I haven't seen any such evidence.

Danindc

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because Detroit has lost something like 60% of its peak population, with no natural disaster or war to account for it, unlike the other big US cities.

Cleveland, Buffalo, and St. Louis aren't too far behind. Philadelphia has lost about a third of its population since 1950, if you believe the U.S. Census.

Professorscott

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, Dan, but Cleveland, Buffalo and St. Louis were never major cities on a par with the D. Did any of those cities ever exceed 1 million? Detroit was once a bit over 2 million.

Phila has lost 1/3 but we have lost well over 50% and possibly close to 60% depending on what you believe the current population is.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually St. Louis has posted a small increase in population in the 2000's, according to Wikipedia.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guys stand up to these clowns running the city and put your foot down.

Demand that they give up land practically free with tax incentives to major corporations willing to do business in the "D".

Don't allow this lame excuse and mockery of an administration to completely kill off the city.

The city needs income. Building condos with no building of the job pool is suicide for all involved.

make those morons earn their 6 fig salaries.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People's major decision on where to live is almost always based on the ability to be fully employed. It has little to do with fresh water or taxes or weather, et cetera. If I could live anywhere in the U.S., it would be Detroit, but I don't live there. Any guesses why?

Danindc

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure, Dan, but Cleveland, Buffalo and St. Louis were never major cities on a par with the D. Did any of those cities ever exceed 1 million? Detroit was once a bit over 2 million.

Cleveland was once close to 1 million residents (mind you, Cleveland is 72 square miles, so it's about half the physical size of Detroit). For the first half of the 20th century, it was the 5th/6th largest city in the U.S., peaking about the same time as Detroit. It is now the 40th largest city, and heads the 15th largest metropolitan area.

However, its level of devastation is not quite as high as Detroit's was. Cleveland still has about 140,000 workers in its CBD, and the regions second largest employment hub is also in the city limits (University Circle).

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5404
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right. jjaba's Detroit was #4th in 1950 census. We took great pride in all of Detroit living with such prosperity.
Only New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia were larger.

Which Detroit neighborhoods do you think went down the farthest?

jjaba would think they MUST BE Eastside.

jjaba, Westsider, on the Dexter Bus.

Professorscott

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother in law grew up on Alma Street, east side, and just about her entire neighborhood is vanished. Gone back to fields and a growing wood, damn near the entire area.

So I nominate that 'hood as farthest-gone, but I'm sure there are others.

Anyone remember Marie Farrell-Donaldson's proposal from fifteen or so years back? Take a large area of the east side, move everybody out, and fence it off to save money?

Danindc

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone remember Marie Farrell-Donaldson's proposal from fifteen or so years back? Take a large area of the east side, move everybody out, and fence it off to save money?

Why not? That's what Youngstown is doing.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say Anexx Highland park, and put a HUGE SUPERMAX prison in there that would employ hundreds of people!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit is not the only city this vanishing. Look at New Orleans, St Louis, Toledo, Rochester, NY. Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee, D.C., Balitmore, Birmingham, ALA, Jackson, MISS. Ga

What do all of these cities have in common that is the reason for their decline? CRIME!!

Jjw

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I am surprised Nashville is not on that list:http://nashville.areaconnect.c om/crime1.htm

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

> What do all of these cities have in common that is the reason for their decline? CRIME!!

Are you serious?

Professorscott

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As opposed to cities like Los Angeles and Chicago, which have no crime. Sheesh.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, You think Im wrong? Ok your correct. It has nothing to do with Crime! That kind of mentality got those cities where they are today. Your right those cities (including detroit) have no crime problem!

Danindc

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It has nothing to do with Crime! That kind of mentality got those cities where they are today. Your right those cities (including detroit) have no crime problem!

But those cities you mentioned have declined to varying degrees, and DC has seen a stabilization of population, and an explosion in incomes and housing values, while still having a relatively high crime rate. How do you reconcile?

Jjw

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmo: All cities have crime. It is an unfortunate reality. But to specify Detroit and a few others as the only places suffering from this is very naive on your part.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else see a problem with the boom of cities like Phoenix, Orlando, and Las Vegas. Right now, no economist is predicting their downfall, but they are quickly running out of water and are built in a very unsustainable manner. MARK MY WORDS, those cities have a lesser chance of being here in 100 years than Detroit does. Global Warming anyone?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 539
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I said that this weekend to my travel companion (an Ann Arbor liberal yuppie) -- and that Detroit will definitely be a prime location in the 21st century because of its natural resources and location -- and she just blinked.

Oh, well. Some people are just slower than others. :-)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Vanishing Ghost City, the last thing Detroit needs are NEW regional taxes to replace federal and state money. If we support these efforts, then the big three could be Toyota, Honda and Nissan and we will get our own big three of SMART, DDOT and SEMCOG.

Michigan needs more jobs and not more taxes to bail out failed social programs that don't work and reward incompetence

Mass Transit taxes do not help the poor as claimed by some mass transit advocates to get you DY'ers to support these taxes.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its strategic location on the Great Lakes and with another country alone will always assure some sort of viability. Driving around downtown with the 6 billion dollars of investment directed in recent and current years also make it a little hard to believe its becoming a ghost town. It may change definition, size and appearance but ghost town is a major stretch. As was mentioned earlier the proximity to fresh water alone could make it a major desirable location if global warming continues and 30% of ocean coastal USA becomes in danger. All these factors will play themselves out soon enough.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its strategic location on the Great Lakes and with another country alone will always assure some sort of viability.

Geography lesson: It--Detroit--is not on any Great Lake and most definitely not on the Great Lakes. Could it be that DPS is now also teaching revisionistic geography, in addition to other subjects?

Unless Detroit is planning on annexing territory so as to gain access to any of the four Great Lakes in Michigan...

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Detroit does in fact become a ghost town maybe all the white people will move back.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are all ghosts imagined to be white?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Articles like this provide more of a catalyst for us to prove people wrong. I believe the city is in the position to rebound and make a remarkable comeback. While we will still have th automakers here, I see a lot of different technologies that may give the Metro Detroit area a nod and Detroit(with the right incentives) could land a lot of new business.

I do think that the city should look into restructuring and updating the infrastructure to give the newer housing developments more ease with design and planning. I, for one, am for enclose neighborhoods(yes, just like in the suburbs) to give the area its own look.(Think Elizabeth Park)

I see so much potential and and the energy needed to accomplish just the opposite of what this article states. It all starts with us though and the people of this region.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia is now a ghost town since our city council members took away funding for the large SMART buses.

city council members

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.