Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Windsor's Historic Neighborhoods ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are a number of Canada's nicest folks on here, so I thought I'd ask about the equivalent of Detroit's Indian Village or Palmer Woods and etc.

Where are the architectural gems of Windsor's Historic residential neighborhoods ?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, check out the Walkerville section of Windsor, right off the river near the train station. Walkerville was originally a separate town, then consolidated in the l930s, I believe.
The Willistead Art Gallery there is the original Hiram Walker home, I believe. It's designed by Albert Kahn.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9504
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willistead Manor was the summer residence of Edward Chandler Walker, the second son of Hiram Walker.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/0002 23.asp

Other notable areas are sections of Riverside, and Victoria Avenue.
Sadly, all that is left (in terms of older houses) in the city are houses that are scattered around in various spots.

(Message edited by GOAT on June 28, 2007)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the East Erie Street area. It's a humble neighborhood, but well kept and friendly. The Italians in the neighborhood (you can overhear the Italian language being spoken among the residents on the street) give it a unique ethnic flair.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Sandwich (Olde Sandwich Towne).

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From virtualtourist.com: Located at 221 Mill Street In Old Sandwich Town, the DUFF-BABY HOUSE was built in 1798 and is one of the best-preserved and oldest Georgian-style houses in Ontario. Windsor's oldest building, it was built as a home and fur trading post for Alexander Duff. Acquired by Jacques Baby in 1807, it was ravaged in the War of 1812. The 2 1/2 storey timber structure was refinished as Baby's residence in 1816. Now owned by the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Tours available. Exhibit in adjacent Interpretive Centre.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in case anyone wondered, Baby of Duff-Baby is pronounced Bah-bee'

Bob Cosgrove

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3935
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkerville, first and foremost, then Sandwich and Victoria Park area by the Lothian masterpiece, Ste. Clare.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All things Walkerville including a Virtual Tour:

http://walkervilletimes.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.