Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » How was the musical entertainment at the Target fireworks show?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Suuzq35
Username: Suuzq35

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did it go off without any problems?
who played?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the live TV/web simulcast went fine. Just finished.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we call it the "Annual Freedom Fest", "Fourth of July Fireworks", "Detroit Fireworks", or something other than "Target" being included in it? I would expect any city but Detroit to sell-out to some corporation. This is truly a shame that a 4th of July celebration is not even celebrated for what the day actually means. You've already got "Comerica Park" - where's Comerica these days? So what happens when Target is bought out by Walmart? You'll change the fireworks display overnight to "Wally-fest"? It's truly a shame what this country has stooped to.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine, remove the corporate sponsorship. Then enjoy the sparklers and bottle rockets on the river next year.

Who do you think pays for it?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt it the Hudson's fireworks for years? Its been sponsored by a corporation whose name has been in the titles the [blank] fireworks for as long as I can remember.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fireworks were sponsored by Hudson's when the IFF started in 1959, and through various acquisitions and renamings, we now have the Target Fireworks. Better than the Macy's fireworks, if you ask me. But sponsorship has always been part of it, and without it, there would be NO fireworks, so Why's point seems to ignore reality. Unless you're ready to pony up the bucks to finance one of the world's largest fireworks displays yourself, maybe you should just be thankful that there is a company who sponsors this, or you would have no fireworks display at all.

sorry, rant over.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4690
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when Dayton-Hudson's (old name of Target Corp.) discontinued being the sponsor (since Hudson's in the 1920's) of the Thanksgiving Day Parade?

That was when Art Van Elslander (owner of Art Van) ponied up the money to start The Parade Company, and saved the parade. The Parade Company is also now putting on the fireworks, but under the name of whomever wants to sponsor it.

Suuzq35

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who played at the fireworks? what bands?
and sorry if I included Target...sheesh.

(Message edited by suuzq35 on June 28, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you enjoyed the fireworks the smart thing to do would be to embrace Target, not bash them. Shop at their stores and write their corporate offices telling them how much you enjoyed the fireworks and hope that they continue to sponsor them in the future.

(Message edited by rjk on June 28, 2007)

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the fireworks on WDIV, and their sound was awful. Lots of hissing in the background whenever the anchors were talking. During the fireworks themselves, the music was pretty low compared to the natural sound of the booms.

Suuzq35

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still no one answering my question? geez.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't really have live bands or entertainment. There are however several small events around downtown centered around the fireworks that have some of their own entertainment.

Karenka
Username: Karenka

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the Target party in the Miller parking lot and here's my overall assessment of the music throughout the evening. Pre-fireworks, there was some limited live entertainment--lite fare--as well as the singing contest, which is the usual stuff. And there was recorded Motown music playing throughout (even during the singing contest)--great music, but the same tunes looping for several hours.

The display itself is accompanied by blaring recorded music combined without much discernable rhyme or reason--from Stevie Wonder to light classical. It didn't seem coordinated in any clear way with the visuals, except at the end. From the parking lot structure, it's extremely loud and occasionally distracting. I don't have any idea of the sound quality on the TV broadcast, but for my taste I'd rather just hear the explosions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.