Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Camp Brighton Sold « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070627/UPDAT E/706270439/1004

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally...

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh. Selling off assets is a one time fix...

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not purely a one time fix when you consider how much money the city has been using to "maintain" the property as it sat vacant.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9463
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kenyatta has been a vocal opponent of the sale from the start. He said Detroit should keep the facility because it could benefit all of the city's youth.

He said the church, which has had an offer on the table since November, plans to use it only for their kids.

"This should be for all the children of Detroit," he said.

Who cares about public safety, schools, social services, playgrounds in the neighborhoods when we can have camp Brighton.

I'm surprised to see Barbara Rose Collins vote for this.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this in brighton?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray I think.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooooooo...................... The city/mayor is still selling assets to cover budget shortfalls and avoiding the real work of "right sizing" the city payrolls for the new reality of a much smaller population and tax base.
What do you do when you've run out of assets to hock?

The city could develop portions of the east side into a new "Camp Brighton" for pennies on the dollar. "Camp Mack ave."

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't selling under-used assets part of "right sizing" city governmanet?

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can just imagine the creative tee shirts for Camp Gratiot.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, $3.5 million is not going to help offset the budget problems by all that much.Hopefully, at least the people buying the real estate will kick in some money to Kilpatrick's campaign, so that some of that money will stay in Detroit.

Seriously, though, I can understand wanting to keep the park. Something like the "Fresh Air Fund" in New York would be cool. (The fund takes city kids out into the sticks so they can study how white people live.)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9464
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Financial situations of NYC and Detroit are a little different.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jt1, financial situations are different. But that doesn't mean I can't understand wanting to keep it. It also doesn't make recreational opportunities for inner-city kids any less desirable.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp Brighton hasn't even been open in something like 12 years...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying Camp Brighton was open. I said, and I'll say it one more time, I can understand wanting to keep it and that recreational opportunities for inner-city kids are desirable.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep it just so it can continue to sit vacant and the city spends money on maintaining it because its so broke it can't afford to operate it?

Do you realize how little sense that makes?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say anything about keeping the park. I looked at Kenyatta's position on the park and thought, "I can see where he's coming from."

I know, we have to be realistic. Kwame needs to raise money for re-election somehow, so these deals have to go through. I understand.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on. Who cares. I hardly think anybody here. The city can't afford to keep all this crap right now. It makes perfect sense to sell it. You make a little short term money, and you no longer have to pay to maintain it. More money that can be spent on more important things.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to bet that Kwame was already getting the money from the folks involved in this deal. I doubt this will increase the amount substantially.

Especially since folks like you will be looking for it.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, every little bit helps!

Those political contributions are tough to track. Not as easy to monitor as the public numbers. I'm surprised it took his people a whole term to figure that one out.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ The guys getting $300,000 per year to maintain a vacant campground were probably slacking on their "obligations" to King Kwame. IMO the citizens of Detroit are getting shafted excepting such a small amount for Camp Brighton. Someone's definitely getting some kickbacks when such a prime piece of undeveloped land sells for barely half of it's appraised value.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha. And the whole story gets spun as one of fiscal conservatism. Only in America.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course there's political motive behind it. You'd be hard pressed to find one decision made on that floor that doesn't have political motive.

But you cannot deny the fact that selling the land and not having to pay for maintenance anymore is fiscally responsive.

And something that should have been done years ago.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, let's stop paying the politically connected contractor who's milking the city budget and sell it to a politically connected developer for less than market value.

Sound. Fiscal. Reasoning.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*yawn*

Next time I'm on 13 I'll stop by and wave.

That's the only place where you can find people as into paranoid conspiracy theories as you appear to be.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks the damsel doth dismiss too much ...

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp Brighton will reopen as a summer camp and recreational facility for adults and children.

The Chaldean Church is funding a large portion of the purchase price via the Sam Kassab Fund. Sam, a notable local resident, died in 2001 but prior to his death created the Sam Kassab Fund. His wish was to build a monastery that the Chaldean Church would own on part of the vacant property of Camp Brighton. The Fund has grown into a multimillion dollar balance and has committed $2.5 million dollars to the purchase/buidling of the monastery.

Fair value represents the price that would be received to sell an asset or transfer a liability in an orderly transaction between market participants. Appraised values are irrelevant. The FV of the land sold is the $3.5 purchase price.

The City was able to get cash for the property, eliminate maintenance cost and a private fund will maintain the property for the benefit of residents. Sounds perfect to me.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're missing one key person in that explanation BIR and I believe that's he's the reason Detroitnerd is getting his panties in a bunch.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I'm sure there's nothing unseemly going on here. Just good, sound, honest business. But I don't need you to tell me that. My tax dollars will shortly be used to send me a city circular about it, witha photo of the mayor being embraced by a gaggle of smiling black children. Case closed.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My issue with selling the camp is not necessarily with this specific deal, but with the "hawk all assets" approach that the city and the state are using to balance budgets. Its not a comprehensive approach, despite reducing maintenance costs. What will the city have to do to balance the budget the next time Kilpatrick and the clowncil can't agree on how to align revenue and expenses?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just glad that the camp will at least mostly remain green space and not carved up into a housing development.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, Burnsie. It is welcome news for the watershed.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Grand River near I-96" That Freep location description is more vague than I-94 & Gratiot.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My financial group still wants to buy Belle Isle and really help the city with it's budget problem.

The offer of $700 million for the entire island and the bridge stands. The only caveat is that Detroit cede it's jurisdiction and it will become an independent township.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

riiigghhhhtttt...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the bit David Newman did on his WXYT radio show years ago. On April fools he did a segment about a developer (friend of his) who wanted to buy the Island from the city.

I wonder how D. Newman is doing. His return to radio looks like it's not going to happen.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From someone who has been out of the area for some time, a question. Is Camp Brighton the same as the old Boy Scout camp that was out there??

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our offer to purchase Belle Isle was (and is) no joke. With our offer we sent a deposit of $5M to a previous mayor. We never had a response. we called and were told that the check would not be cashed and the island was not for sale. Offer stands (we actually offered $825M earlier, but the market is down, you know. take a look at Grosse Ile and tell me we won't do it someday.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't think that the market is their for developers to by Belle isle.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5394
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River Rat, yes. Build a bridge to Canada over the shipping channel and you've got a bi-national community. There aren't mnay parcels of land so cool as Belle Isle. The Canadians can pronounce it too.

56packman, too funny. jjaba's never been there but Camp Mack Ave. sounds great. Tall prairie grass, phesants, Nutria, raccoons.

As for the Chaldeans, imagine the deals on liquor, cigarettes, and gas on the property.
Pass the babaganoosh!

jjaba.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman - My wife works in Finance for the City. This mayor has reduced the work force from 20,000 plus employees that he inherited to around 13,500. I think he is doing his part with more "smartsizing" to go. The city doesn't need to be maintaining a piece of land 30 miles from downtown. The City has PLENTY of parks and land here in Detroit to maintain. Good luck to the church and may they enjoy it!

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too close to Howell and a takeover in the immediate future just isn't going to happen. Belleville, Ypsilanti, Ferndale - sure. Dearborn, Howell, Brighton - not for quite a while. Sell it while it's still got some value. Smart move.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.