Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Went to Slows BBQ last week and it was awesome! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To counteract the complaining thread, I just want to say I was there last week and it was totally fantastic.

The patio is brilliant - I'm so glad it's summer in Detroit!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the patio is fantastic, big props to phil and whoever else designed and constructed it, i love the concrete tables.

I was there sunday and my experience was also awesome.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you. I'm licking my chops thinking about the food right now.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously! Some people hold independent restaurants to unreasonable standards. How many times do you think the complainers' went to Mc Donalds and received cold food or encountered a rude cashier? Yet they wouldn't think twice about going back tomorrow at lunch time.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell everyone from out of town to go to Slows and they all have come back with only great things to say. Beyond the food, which is amazing, Slows is a good example of how people can look beyond a mildly blighted neighborhood and get a small glimpse of what could be a much grander vision. You can talk someone's ear off for days about how Detroit is great and they need to look past the blight, etc. and they still won't get it. Send them to Slows for dinner and all of the sudden it starts to make sense. It seems to have that effect on outsiders as much as all the new stuff downtown in my opinion.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yum. yum. yum. slow's rules. i take all my out of towners there and they all love it. i'm taking my whole extended family there pre-tigers in a few weeks. slow's is someplace you can sit, drink a few beers and eat your meal at a leisurely pace. it's my favorite, hands down.

and you know what, i've NEVER had a problem with the service. i think the staff is really nice. and mostly cute, to boot.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one answered my question on my last post on the negative Slow's thread. I want to go there this Saturday with my dad before the Tigers game. Probably around 1-2 PM. Am I going to be looking at a crazy long wait?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(homer j simpson voice)
mmmmmmmm.... slows....

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't be too bad. Between 3:30 or so it starts picking up.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only been to Slow's once, but my experience was good, the food was great, the service prompt and friendly. I don't expect my server to chat up a storm with me at all, especially when they have who knows how many other tables to attend to. But our server took the time to explain some different menu options to us, and the restaurant was packed at the time.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite - you should probably give the restaurant a call in addition to checking opinions here.

Contact info at www.slowsbarbq.com

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're assholes, but the food is great. It's like going to the neighborhood record store where the clerk is a snot and the selection is awesome.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4458
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't expect my server to chat up a storm with me at all

I'm in a Slows mood today. I hate it when waiters/waitresses try to make extensive conversation with me. Prompt, friendly, and attentive service is all I need or want. Waiters and waitresses who act like they are invited to your own private My Dinner With Andre annoy me.

A friend and I make an annual trip to Hooters just to play a game with their overly friendly wait staff. When the girl comes over to "make nice" we time how fast we can get rid of her with polite - but short and uninteresting - answers to her stock questions. We actually time ourselves. It's fun and makes the trip worthwhile given the usually mediocre Hooters waitress stock and nothing-special food.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with the waitstaff at Slows. I wish we could have a half-dozen more unique, quality places like Slows in Detroit.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Slow's a few times and the food and service has always been excellent. I'm hooked on the "Reason" an inexpensive pulled pork sandwich that is a full meal.

I applaud their well deserved success. They have proven that there is plenty of opportunity for business success in Detroit.

They took a location that every negative cynic in the D thought was nuts and literally [and figuratively] 'turned a sow's ear into a silk purse'.

Like others above I recommend it frequently.

Yay Slows; I'll be back.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, Slows should be giving you free chow, in return for the scads of publicity they are getting on this forum. And by the way, I steered a DYer to the Downtown Mobil auto shop (very close to Slows, coincidentally,) and urged said DYer to point out that he, or she, learned of the place here on DetroitYes, and the owner was both surprised and pleased. See? The danged forum is still good for something other than tedious pissing matches between its members!!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you park down there?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree ALWAYS great food!

Mayor_sekou - Where to park? Where do you think you park? On the street scared white boy hahaha

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! I never been accused of being a scared white boy before thats new. But no its the fact that I am very protective of my car and the lack of an enclosed lot makes me worry about my child as it sits on the street across from a really big abandoned train station. Thats all. I still might try the place out soon.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there mayor, I think your post does kind of prove the scared white boy thing, but if you park on Michigan Avenue you'll be fine.

The big abandoned train station is actually (mostly) empty, not full of car thieves.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9528
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno.

What do you drive, Mayor?

Midnight Auto Supply might have a few orders pending.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the "white boy" bullshit. It's offensive in the context used here. Or was that the intent?

Sorry for the threadjack. Carry on.

Slows has gotten 4 stars every time I've dined there.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an archetype, Swingline.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go on a game day or the weekend have them valet it. On another note I tried something besides the Reason as a main course for the first time in well over 15 visits the other day. Got the Yardbird. It was good but something about having coleslaw IN the sandwich sells.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see how "archetype" could be used in that context. Is was still a racist thing to say. Funny what you can get away with when you talk about white people.

I wont jack this thread anymore.

GO SLOW'S!!!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont like parking on the street in front of my own house, why? Because people steal shit, lets not act brand new out here. They havent got my car or anything off my car yet and I want to keep it that way. I drive an '06 STS and the insurance is high enough without anything going missing on it so when I go I'll let someone else drive. lol...scared white boy. I'm offended, I like to think I am fearless and black dammit. lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.