Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit fears big wave of parolees « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/M ETRO/706260374

excerpt:
quote:

Detroit fears big wave of parolees
State to free up to 585 inmates from Wayne Co. to help budget

Ronald J. Hansen / The Detroit News
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

DETROIT -- As police grapple with the usual summer surge in crime, this year the department has a new worry: Nearly 600 extra criminals could be leaving prison soon and heading back to Detroit.

The Michigan Department of Corrections has begun releasing a wave of special parolees intended to save $92 million in next year's budget. Over the next three months, the state's parole board is considering up to 2,539 extra releases, with 585, or nearly a quarter of them, from Wayne County.

Nearly half the inmates eligible for the special parole have been in prison at least twice. A third of them are in prison for drug dealing or breaking and entering. Many have histories of drug or alcohol abuse or mental illness.

"We're greatly concerned, but we've been told the Department of Corrections is going to have a strong monitoring system on (the parolees)," said James Canning, a spokesman for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

The releases are part of a statewide cost-cutting measure whose impact may be most felt in Detroit, where jobs are especially scarce and crime is high. Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings has publicly said she worries that the extra parolees could hurt the city.

Parole officers added

Russ Marlan, a spokesman for the Corrections agency, said he was unaware of any inquiries by Worthy's office, but said the parolees will be placed in a program that has cut re-arrest rates for those subject to its "enhanced supervision."

The state hopes its Community Placement Program will eventually help break the wider cycle of crime and punishment.

Parolees in the program have been re-arrested about 20 percent less than others not in it, Marlan said.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandstand's plan is to release criminals early to save $92 million from the state budget. Criminals that will continue their free-for-all against the public.

However, Grandstand will fight tooth and nail to preserve $42,000 annual average in benefits (not salary) to state bureaucrats. A $2.1 BILLION total just for state bureaucrat BENEFITS (not salary).

She has clearly decided to pursue a policy of endangering the safety of the public (that's you and me, our kids, family, friends, neighbors) , rather than cut from the monsterously bloated state bureaucrat benefit package, rewarding those who voted for her most.

This is corruption at its finest.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the heck, let's save a buck and release some repeat offenders.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not as bad as the wave of Iraqi immigrants that are coming to Michigan within the next few days. It was reported that about 2,000 out of the total 7,000 plan to make their home in Michigan.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9455
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you really saying that Iraqi immigrants are worse than criminals getting out of jail early?

Maybe, just maybe the Iraqi immigrants want to come to the US for a better life for themselves and their families. The majority of them will be hard working and decent memebers of their community. Some will open stores and create jobs, support community groups, etc and you state that you think the convicted criminals are better?

Pretty pitiful comment if you ask me.

For the future Iraqi immigrants - I say welcome to Metro Detroit and hope that you make a better life for your families.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 968
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not as bad as the wave of Iraqi immigrants that are coming to Michigan.

What's so bad about a wave of Iraqi immigrants and how can you make such a negative and sweeping generalization?

Many of my neighbors have been Iraqi immigrants and from experience I can say that they are law-abiding people.

Also speaking from experience, the only immigrants I know who were violent were a small group of Albanian and Yugoslav miscreants who quickly found out the hard way that our city did not tolerate drive-by shootings.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3923
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the early releases are all non-violent offenders. There are a lot of people crowding the prisons on drug possession raps making Michigan is second in the country in incarceration rates. Time to end penalties for drug use or possession by adults.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not as bad as the wave of Iraqi immigrants that are coming to Michigan within the next few days. It was reported that about 2,000 out of the total 7,000 plan to make their home in Michigan."

At least they're coming here legally. So therefore I have no problem with that. How many Iraqi immigrants do you know? Why do you hate them?

Futurecity

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I heard that the early releases are all non-violent offenders."

Nice attempt at spin, but: Grandstand's Early Criminal Release includes those convicted of breaking and entering.

Since you don't seem to mind, I hope it's your place they break into and not mine.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, this tidal wave of Iraqis as far as we know are not criminals. But like I say, how do we know? Could they be cleaning out their prisons, just like Wayne County is? Since we're talking in terms of antidotes, there are plenty of "drive by's" that I've heard about on the scanner that never make it into the papers. I'm sure they will be welcomed here by the parolees.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for telling the truth future city. That whole myth about people being in prison for drug possesion is just that a myth. In fact I read of one law enforcement offical pondering the last time someone was imprisoned for possesion.......he could not remember.

I am around a lot of users........people that posess........the courts give them many options other than incarceration...........

Lets face it our governor is just not very good.True some things, many things are out of her control but as a leader she fails to inspire.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soooo, basically, the people on this post is ready to put a halo on a bunch of foreigners that you know absolutely nothing about, but condemn a bunch of Americans that you likewise know absolutely nothing about.

Geez, and you want me to believe that I'M the one with the problem???

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what will the per-homicide savings be to the state?

You know some of these mo-fos are gonna start gangbangin again..... sombody's gonna end up dead. But it's okay cause the state saved some money?

I say make the drugs legal. Takes a huge black market incentive away, hopefully violent crime will go down with it, as well as drug posession crimes. They can then focus on whats left and hopefully have room in the jails for those people.

Of course if the drugs are legal, how many people might start getting killed for the cash to buy the stuff? Probably still better than killing over bad deals, etc.

This is a BAD idea......

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Release drug users - OK.
Release drug dealers - likely more dealer-on-dealer crime with some innocent bystanders hurt, but OK, I guess.
Release car thieves - what are they going to do in Michigan's current economy, get a job at Ford's? Better put three Clubs on your steering wheel and put your rims under your bed every night.
Release B&E types - uh oh, they're gonna get the rims under your bed.
Release the rest of the "non-violent offenders" - these repeat offenders are not going to suddenly all go straight, and the State can't possibly keep a tight enough leash on them to keep them from committing more crime.

This is not a good idea. I think we should surrender in the war on drugs, but failing that, releasing a bunch of "non-violent offenders" is not going to improve our quality of life.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I understand it, breaking and entering is properly considered a non-violent crime. It's a crime against property, not person. Home invasion of course would be an entirely different matter.
quote:

Nearly half the inmates eligible for the special parole have been in prison at least twice. A third of them are in prison for drug dealing or breaking and entering.

This is very unpleasant news. Are there any proactive efforts to recruit more civilian volunteers for neighborhood patrols? It might help to get that ramped up in case it's needed.

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 26, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you went to prison once, got out, and then did something to get you put back in, you really think these guys aren't going to do something a 3rd time to get their asses sent back to the slammer?

Why even let them out? Most will come right back. But then somebody is gonna have to get hurt or have property damaged, and we're gonna have to prosecute them AGAIN, and the cops are gonna have to investigate AGAIN and on and on.

Just leave them in there. Save the injuries/death/destruction/cou rt/cop costs. 1 time in prison and came out straight, okay maybe I can accept that. But if you been in 2x, you screwed up TWICE. Why should they be let back? They're gonna do it three times....

Is the state even considering the costs of having to apprehend or prosecute or incarcerate X% of repeat offenders? They might be saving millions in CURRENT prison costs. But how much does that dwindle when you assume X% are going to have to be caught, prosecuted and imprisoned again for $Y each? I bet the $92 million bucks savings drops quite a bit....

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what happens when people don't want to pay more taxes or have more prisons built.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or spend more money on education, which is much cheaper than incarceration.

Whatever the city needs, it does not need any more folks with B&E Skills.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Michigan Department of Corrections has begun releasing a wave of special parolees intended to save $92 million in next year's budget. Over the next three months, the state's parole board is considering up to 2,539 extra releases, with 585, or nearly a quarter of them, from Wayne County.

$90,000,000 ÷ 2,539 = $35,447 per parolee to be saved. But the $92 million figure is annual and the 2,539 is quarterly so maybe $90,000,000 ÷ (2,539 × 4) = $8,862 per parolee is a more realistic savings.

I dunno. How much monetary damage does an average special parolee cause once released into this job climate?

(I understand Wayne county's figures would be worse. I'm trying to see the state's perspective.)

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 26, 2007)

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

70 % of released prisoners, come back to prison with a new case or on a parole violation. Public Safety is in danger because of what the Governor is doing. Lock your doors, and get ready.

Futurecity

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandstand is clearly pursuing a Policy Of Disaster for Michigan.

The VERY LAST course of action in ANY government belt tightening measures should be one that RELEASES CRIMINALS to prey upon the public.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame we have to invest so much into a group of folks who have such little regard for our way of life and laws. It is a waste of resources and counterproductive to try and rehabilitate them.

Depending on the circumstances, I can see someone making a mistake and winding up in the slammer the first time, the second and third time are right off the charts for understanding how they wound up there.

As ridiculous as this may sound, crime is such a problem in this country and so many dollars thats states dont have is being spent without choice on these folks. I think it's time they set up off shore penal colonies again. Why should we risk our loved ones, personal property and potentially our own lives to try and live with these people. Why are we being forced to potentially be subjected to their lawlessness? They have made it abundantly clear they have little regard for anyone else. Show them the same. Send them away to some remote area and let them kill each other.

It's clear the time has come where we cannot afford to adequately imprison these people in our present systems for the duration of their intended sentence.

Crazy idea? We send troops off to hellish environments. We have Gitmo.. These folks deserve better?

Three strikes you're out? How about three strikes, you're gone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.