Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Beer Co'. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I first visited this place last year and frequented it quite often after that. The service, beer & food where good back then. I noticed that after the world series the service there got very poor. I loved the place, I just don't think I will go back. Ive found some other places that are just as good.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't give up on it so quick. It is a nice place, the big problem I see with it is a fussy owner who likes to fire staff too frequently. High turnover has effected the quality. But I've been back recently and it was fine.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, this place is turning into the Fabulous ruinous restaurants of Detroit...

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say I've noticed any difference in service, but I usually go to the bar where it's easier to flag down a bartender. The beer and food seem fine as ever.

I'm glad you found other places, but I wouldn't rule out the Beer Co. just yet.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also found the service to be awful on recent visits. Its a shame, since I really enjoyed eating there otherwise.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3373
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, that's nice. I'm happy for you.

Last year I got a rash on my arm. At first I used Gold Bond and it helped reduce the itch, but after a while I noticed that the rash wasn't going away. I switched to a topical ointment and that cured the rash - I'm much happier now. I don't think I'll ever use Gold Bond again.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also frequent Forans. Nice atmosphere, beer & food. The service is real good there as well.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon where else can you find $2.00 house brewed pints on a Friday evening. For that price I'd let the staff openly insult me.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed it being very understaffed. I see the same 5 people doing everything in there. Maybe they need more help.

The Detroiter bar over in Bricktown is also very good. Really good fish for $5.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are hiring, the forum should not be a place to diss on restaurants. The food business is a very hard one and takes a lot of man hours and dedication, it is pretty annoying when folks who really have no clue while they sit behind their cushy desk, complain about the quality. I understand if the restaurant is pathetic like the Belle Isle Big Boy, but Slows and Detroit Beer Co. are quality joints trying to add to the city.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that...it's just the fact the service has been lacking...im not complaining about the food & beer. The place serves great food & has some real good brews. My friend just went there recently on his b-day and they didn't give him a shirt, beer and food as promised.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 844
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely agree that people should not be dissing Restaurants on the forum... it's bullshit. These places have done some great things for the areas where they are located and are honest, good establishments. Like all places, they have ups and downs.

Seriously, if you don't like a place, don't diss it publicly and make things worse. As a former business owner I know that bad press... especially in restaurants, goes a LooooNG way to ruin you. Help these places out and keep your critques between you and the manager!!!

BTW, I was recently at the DBC and I had a great time and great service, not to mention very good food. So, your experience was unfortunate for you.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DBC has some kickin martinis as well. reminds me of the old Majestic selection

Cambrian

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my e-mail basket:

Cheers from the Brew Crew! We just wanted to let all the Tigers fans know to stop on by the Detroit Beer Co. after the game and bring in your game day ticket stub for a dollar house beer! (one per person, after 7th inning) Remember the DBC was voted the "Best place for pre & post game" Check us out on the web www.detroitbeerco.com

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got that same email.....I get emails from them often.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant's food is great, but I'm sorry, a few of the people who work there I feel are responsible for some of the issues above.

The last six times I've been there, I had the same waiter 3 of those times. (The other waiters/waitresses were excellent). Anyway this dude was really rude. Didn't fill up our drinks, and had an uncaring attitude. He checked my girlfriend's ID which is a Tennessee license, and said "What the hell are you doing up here?" after staring at it for 30 seconds. I thought he was trying to memorize her info or something. The next two visits he had this same attitude. I was with a group of 10 and everyone was dissatisfied with the service. The third offense, we only tipped on the drinks. I'm surprised this waiter has been around this long. You would think he'd be fired by now.

Again, overall the place is great, and I will continue to go there. Obviously restaurants can't be perfect at everything, but sometimes it's just one person or thing causing all the problems.

(Message edited by wolverine on June 26, 2007)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's fine to bitch on a message board. But I hope you realize that this won't change the service there.

I would recommend you talk to a manager. If it bothers you enough to air it out here, I hope you had the gonads to air it out in person.

If you don't make suggestions/complaints don't expect anything to change.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed many restaurants in general lately are lacking in the service area. Food comes out great, but the servers are just out of it. I'm not one that needs my ass wiped when I go out, but some casual conversation would be nice, acknowledge slow waits, say something besides 'what can I get you to drink' and 'can I get your change'....

I am in an industry that receives large amounts of money on our services we provide and have been trained to provide such service. Now I know this IS just a restaurant but it sucks when you go out, especially if you are trying to entertain/impress friends, and you get some slouch, lumping around just expecting to get their 15% - 20% tips. I just assume cook at home lately. Cheaper and just as easy to entertain.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here ever been to Foran's?

Foodcity
Username: Foodcity

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Beer Company could sell much more beer if they had more bartenders during busy games and events. It seems so obvious, but what do I know?

Because we like their beer and food, we try to patronize them often. Unfortunately, the absence of service at both of their bars has prompted us to leave thirsty several times.

We've seen other large groups also bail-out due to the inability to get a simple round of pints. Seriously, they're missing out on some good cash flow at DBC.

Our large group now drinks at The Park Bar much more often than DBC. The Park Bar has a nice selection of Michigan beers plus a couple of retro-classics. It is a great place to enjoy beer with friends!

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a mug club member there from the start, and had it for a few years. I have always found the seated service to be horrible. Most of the wait staff is slow, uncaring, and inexperienced. It became a joke among my friends and I. More than once I got up and left because I was sitting there 20minutes waiting for a waitress to come by and take my order. I found the bartenders to be pretty good. All the great ones came and were gone way to quickly. The straw that broke my back, was when they gave up my mug to someone else on the day it was up just before I came in. I know that the contract says you have to do it before that day, but give me a break, all my loyalty towards them went out the window when that happened.

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't we talk honestly about the quality of establishments in our community? WTF?

If they don't want bad press, they should improve their service.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It costs money to have people stand around hoping business might come in. Do you really expect Detroit to compete for qualified servers with Novi, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Rochester, Phoenix...give me a break. Either you want to support local bars or you don't. I know it's frustrating sometimes, but don't pretend you're in Novi when ordering beer in Detroit. If there is a problem with the service, get off your ass, go to the bar and order your drinks straight from the source. Give enough business to the right people and over time you'll get the service you expect. Oh, and pretend like you want to be there and enjoy the people that work there, not like they should be honored for your presence.

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats crap. That's lowering our expectations, which is how we got in this predicament in the first place. We should expect Detroit businesses to offer customer service, just as elsewhere. Yes, we can cut them some slack now and then, but we aren't talking about now and then. We are talking about regularly, which negatively impacts perceptions of the city among locals and visitors. That does more harm to the city than bitching about the shitty service on a bulletin board for people who will still frequent the place, whether it is any good or not.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why can't we talk honestly about the quality of establishments in our community? WTF?

If they don't want bad press, they should improve their service."

one bad report can kill a business, if the owner is not there then the staff slacks off. My poor old man if he isn't at his place barking orders "which he always is" then the staff will slack off.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 845
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I was not clear in my meaning?

If you want to mouth off about your bad experiences on a forum and inform people they should not go to a place, because of whatever, that's your choice! Fact is, it does NOTHING what-so-ever for the business in question, except create negativity for the restaurant and for the area. If you really feel so strongly about your experience, then complain to where it will make a difference, namely the management and ownership of the establishment!!!! Then at least they have a chance to make an improvement... If they ignore your complaints, then that's their problem and they will fail, because of it!

Then again, I guess it is too much to ask of a region that thrives on negativity and complaining that we have no good restaurants or retail and don't work to improve the ones we already have, when they dip in the wrong direction.... I guess it's true what some of my business friends have told me... "*I* didn't give up on Detroit... Detroit gave up on ME!"

KEEP THE NEGATIVITY FLOWING!!!!! YAY!!!

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said to expect bad service, i said do something about it. If you order drinks straight from the bar, it sends a pretty clear picture to the staff that you're not getting the service you deserve. By taking money out of the waiter's pocket, they'll either get upset and quit or they'll reevaluate their performance.

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, boo-hoo. This thread is ridiculous.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is going crazy..I just mentioned I experienced some bad service...I will go back...But what one person mentioned was kind of ludicris. I haven't been down to the place in a while, do they have any new beers on tap....let's try and now focus this on the beer and etc...Before this becomes a flame war!

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go down there frequently when it was the Atwater St. Brewery. The service, food, & beer were always top notch.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9457
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I used to go down there frequently when it was the Atwater St. Brewery

Different place. Atwater became Stoney Creek and is now Atwater again (or the other way around). DBC is on Broadway - Atwater/Stoney Creek is on Joseph Campau.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the Detroit Red beer & the Dwarf... I got a few empty growlers at home...Maybe Ill fill them up before I go see the fireworks.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Criticism creates competition, quality, and commerce. Do you think the bar was raised in NYC or any other high-end town because people said "let’s subsidize the way we feel about a given place because it’s a good thing to do?"—NO. I agree 100% with voicing your opinion and being HONEST especially in Detroit. IMO the more criticism the better, as long as it’s constructive and hopefully in the end, it will separate us from the mediocre. I think criticism means that you care about something so much that you voice your opinion—it takes guts, from both sides. And perhaps people will come to the city because of a higher standard, like in other places.

I understand there is an asshole born every day just out to discredit you and/or your business. I also understand that even the best critic can be wrong. I agree 100% in supporting local businesses—I do it every single day of the week—as much as I can, but we’re not talking about that, we are talking about quality and the opinions about the quality.

think this forum is a remarkable way to monitor criticisms. I can see how approaching criticism from DY could be labeled “the easy way out.” On the other hand I also know people as well as myself who own, operate and work in businesses here and are just as likely to read this. I feel because of this, Problems will be solved and standards will improve in a flash, most likely quicker than complaining to a manager who may or may not care anyway. In this situation you are letting the public decide—the DetroitYES forum, a group of individuals who are always thinking and are concerned with the environment they live in.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I got a few empty growlers at home"

I have that every time I let my dog outside in the morning, then she comes in and fills up again.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rfban, future Detroit Synergy Vice President everyone. Well said.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Complaining to the manager" A smart thing for the owners to do would be to let employees know they should report issues with food quality voiced by the customer to thier superior. The only reason a customer should need to seek out a manager would be to complain about a particular employee. My friends and I have been to DBC and have ordered food that was not up the usual quality of the restaurant and we let the server know. If you're not comfortable making the complaint in person DBC does have a website with a "contact us" link.

http://beercos.realfocus.net/c ontact.php?location=detroit

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jt1, I wasnt sure if that was the same place.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.