Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mezzanine and Bureau Owners on WDET at 10 a.m. Today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ernest_adams
Username: Ernest_adams

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Posch (Mezzanine) and Claire Nelson (Bureau of Urban Living) are going to be on WDET talking about retail in Detroit a little after 10 a.m. today.

Tune in!

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of both of these stores' furniture is featured in an article in this month's Hour Detroit. The article is about rooftop party gatherings and is highlighting the Grinnel Place lofts. Very nice looking furniture.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

listening right now

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9451
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Joe guy is a jerk. :-)

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to both places, joe was nice, but his stuff is ver expenisive, which is okay. i really did like claire's store, it was real nice and had some useful things

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they both did a most excellent job, considering the interviewing wasn't that sophisticated - Walmart in the CBD...whaaaaa????

And I heard that Joe guy actually pronounces his name as in the letter "o", P"o"sh, not P"aw"sh. I wonder how Matt Watroba would feel if he were Matt Watr"aw"ba?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Claire's store is awesome but a bit out of my price range. The homeless guy complaining about the super bowl party was funny

I did buy some andylinn brand soap though

(Message edited by chi-taku on June 26, 2007)

Ernest_adams
Username: Ernest_adams

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story is up on WDET's site in case you missed it.

http://www.wdetfm.org/detroitt oday/

http://www.wdetfm.org/rss/

I think they both did an amazing job. Finally, people with experience speaking intelligently and respectfully about retail.

Mezzanine's merchandise is surprisingly diverse in its price range. You can get some things there for under $50.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. Thanks for pointing out this interview! Claire and I had a really fun time being on the show and representing downtown retail. Thanks so much to everyone at Detroit Today for having us on, it was really an honor.

The interview is now online in the WDET archives.

Our part of the interview can be found on the WDET archives page, or at this link:

http://www.wdetfm.org/rss/arch ives/listen.wmx?show_id=48&dat e=1182885615&show=Detroit Today

Our part of the interview starts at 20:20.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to this show most days at work, and it is really the best daily local news program on radio or television.

I think that Joe and Claire did a good job representing the changing attitude towards doing business in the city, and I have to give both of them kudos for all that they have done.

IMHO, There was one big assumption that was not addressed during this show, and it is a common misconception about Detroit...

The host asked if was a good idea to locate a high-end store in Detroit, considering that the city has a large population of low-income residents.

Joe talked about the benefits of locating destination retail stores, such as Mezzanine, in downtown Detroit, but the larger question was left unanswered.

This same assumption was also left unchallenged in a show last week about grocery stores in Detroit.

The unchallenged assumption is that Detroit is lacking retail/grocery stores because the residents of the city are too poor to support these stores. While this may be true in many areas of the city, it is certainly not the case in all areas of the city, especially the CBD and greater downtown area.

The demographics of the CBD and surrounding areas show a growing population with a high average income.

Detroit is a big city, and the point needs to be made that not all areas are run-down and filled with poverty stricken residents.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.