Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hutchins Middle School - Anyone? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Friday was the last day for Hutchins Middle School since 1923. It will now be an alternative high school.

Hutchins seems to have a following of dedicated people. Several popular people went to Hutchins such as Aretha Franklin. During the 60's riots the national guard used Hutchins as their base of operations and the soldiers slept in the classrooms and in the hallways.

I love Hutchins. Does anyone have any stories to share or tell about their experience at Hutchins?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lily Tomlin attended Hutchins before going on to Cass Tech for high school. She lived is an apartment near the intersection of Byron and Hazelwood.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have no stories, however, here are 2 informative Hutchins web-sites that are not under the Detroit Public Schools direct domain:

--> http://www.dpshms.com/

--> http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dne wby/hutchins.html

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom went to school at Hutchins in the mid-1930s -- then she graduated from Northern High School, Class of 1940. She was born in 1922 and she will have her 85th birthday next week. Happy Birthday, Momzilla.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told it was the biggest middle school in Michigan and possibly the United States. It had 2200 students in the 1960's. It also has two swimming pools and must have been used as a Detroit Recreation Department site during the summers because there is still a sign near the pool that says Detroit Recreation Department. Anyone remember swimming there?

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father went to Hutchins. I've only seen the school a few times but you're right Jhartmich, that school is massive. It looked bigger than some High Schools i.e.: Kettering, Chadsey...

Jhartmich

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is big. It is an entire city block, 4 floors, and two full basements with bomb shelters. One room still has supplies in it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.