Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Canada to raise private money for bridge to Windsor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy Henion / The Detroit News

"The race to build another bridge to Windsor intensified today as Canada's transportation czar announced a plan to raise private money to pay for an international crossing."

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070625/U PDATE/706250406/1003

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting....ive seen them doing test drilling near FortWayne on jefferson down that way. It's supposed to be for the new anchors for the bridge.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I don't care for Matty, I would rather have a privately funded Ambassador twin than a taxpayer funded new bridge.

Think of the large swath of downriver Detroit that will have to be cleared out for another bridge & customs plaza.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5711
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, go to the public bridge study group website to see what's being exactly being considered, and what may be taken out.

http://www.partnershipborderstudy.com/maps.asp

I wonder who the Canadian transportation minister has in my to team up with in the public sector?

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 26, 2007)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new bridge would be a cash cow. The new bridge won't have the Ambassador's problems, i.e. city streets in Windsor. Private sector investors will be interested.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5713
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly why both the public and private sector are racing against each other. They know how much money old Manny makes off the limited Ambassador Bridge.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

how much money old Manny makes off the limited Ambassador Bridge.

That'd be at least $60 million/year from the bridge, as Forbes mag estimated in Nov. '04 . . .

. . .
plus an estimated $40M more from two duty-free shops, fuel sales to truckers and other bridge-related business, according to the same article.

Sweet cash flow indeed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.