Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Went to Slow's BBQ yesterday and it was just OK... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend, her mother and I went in there after Eastern Market for the first time and it was just OK. I had the brisket and it was fatty and just tasted plain. My girlfriend and her mother had the half slab of spare ribs and one slab was meaty and the other not. My cornbread had a long hair in it. The mac-n-cheese was good along with the chili. I liked the inside and patio where we ate was cool. We were actually going to Mex-town but stopped there instead. Was really hoping it to be better after hearing about it on here. They did have more beers on the menu than I could ever hope to try! Oh well there are other things on the menu that I should try before writing them off right?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demand good service. It's a good place but they need help keeping their standards up.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows has always been excellent every time I went, and I go too often. Everyone I have taken there raves about it. It's an overused cliche, but Slows really is a diamond in the rough.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give it another try. My first visit was abysmal - food and service way below par - but was persuaded to return, and it was very good.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do not order the St. Louis ribs.
Pulled pork is good and great hearty portions. I'm surprised with your feelings on the Brisket, normally good to me.
The atmosphere and decor is wonderful. Beer selection great.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went months back to Slo's...Food was real good, I got rib's & mac and cheese & sweet potatos. The service was very good. I haven't been back & have been meaning to do so.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny this was mentioned, went on Saturday afternoon with some friends from Florida, it was pretty good, the locals I was with who had never been there ,didnt think it was any big deal. Went again on Sunday with a couple of friends from the burbs, they loved it,, but one had the trio platter and the pork was so black and burned you couldn't even bite into it, She mentioned it to the waiter who said that is "the way its served". I thought that was weird as it looked like a burned shoe and not eatible.I always get the Mac and Cheese, its great.I think its a good place but their standards seem to be slipping a bit.

(Message edited by Detroitbill on June 25, 2007)

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've discovered that if you ask for what has just came out of their smoker... you will never be disapointed. The new wine list is great too!!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over Rated
Over Priced
Over Hyped, esp. on this forum
Inconsistent Service
But only this Hood Rat's opinion

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An impeccable NY source claims Slow's burgers are the best in the city.

One of the few places around to enjoy Anchor Steam on tap too.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because your impeccable source hasn't been to Miller's Bar.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love burgers! Who has the best ones?

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First visit the service was horrible and food wasn't that great. Service has been much improved since. Have had the mac&chz a few times and it is never the same. The last visit it was very dry and crusty (not good crusty). The veggie chicken sandwich is very good. Meat eater friends have been unimpressed w/all the bbq. Great bbq sauces.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they would eliminate smoking (as they will inevitable have to soon as the law changes) so I can go back and see for myself if there any changes (I hope not.)

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the atmosphere there, and the service has been great each time I've been.

The food has always left me underwhelmed though. It's not bad, but not great either.

If it wasn't for the fact that I enjoyed the atmosphere, then I probably would not have gone back.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, since it seems slows is hittin the skids, where is the new best BBQ in town?

Didn't somebody say that place on the east side (where the owner was killed in a robbery) was also very good?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been there a dozen times and always found the food to be excellent, as have the people I have brought. Service ranged from unremarkable to very good, but never bad.

My dad had a bad experience his first time (overcooked dried out ribs at lunch), but has since been back and impressed.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4592
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, it was ok, but I have had better. The place does get special treatment on DYes in my opinion. It is hard to get me top go back to a place that sucked the first time around.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One_shot-

Did you have to pay extra for that hair in the corn bread? I have never had a bad slab at Chicken Shack. They are always meaty and juicy....and you can't beat thos broasted potatoes. My love handles are swelling just thinking of them.

Detroit Bill-

Burned shoe, huh? (LOL)

(Message edited by ladyinabag on June 25, 2007)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 953
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went after the Indian Village Tour a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, the Mrs. did not.

Me:Brisket=yes
Ribs=yes ( I like that I can add my own sauce as I please )
Mac-n-cheese=yes
Baked Beans=no ( more like soup )
Beer=yes
Service=average

Mrs:1/4 Chicken=no
Mac-n-cheese=no
Baked Beans=no
Beer=yes
Service=average

The next table over got the pulled pork sandwiches, they looked good.
I will go back.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the people on this thread have gone back after a bad experience, but most people will do a one and done after a bad experience at a restaurant. It sounds like Slow's has a lot of work to do when it comes to making a good first impression.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, for as critical as some are about the place...you still have to wait almost two hours at 7-8 pm on Saturday nights. They're doing something right.

I hate this thread, though. I have too much to do tonight to go downtown and it's making be very hungry. Mmmm...The Reason Sandwich w/ Baked Beans...all completely dripping in Apple BBQ Sauce...

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of restaurants, spaceboykelly informed me that the Grand City Grille in the Fisher Building closed and reopened as a soul food restaurant. That's a real shame, because I went there for lunch after a Wayne State open house w/ my mother and we absolutely loved it. I'm surprised it didn't suceed-it had the same ownership as Seldom Blues, and the service and food were faultless.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a former waitress, and I hate to judge a restaurant on one bad experience. Things can easily go wrong so I'm usually willing to try again. Bastone in Royal Oak was another one, the first time was terrible, each subsequent visit has been nearly perfect. I would have missed a lot.

(I do love to go out for dinner!)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9514
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not had a bad experience at Slows, and I'm past two dozen tries.

Most of a complaint I've had consistently is the wait...heh...so apparently they are doing more impressing than not!

Anyone who only gives any place or person ONE chance is inhuman themselves.

Because, of course, they are ALWAYS perfect, unchanging, and exactly what everyone expects from them.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Redcoat Tavern in R.O. has the best burgers, by far...they've even ranked high on "the best burgers" lists in publications. Their prime rib dinner is the best I've ever had. It's a funky little place, but always has a wait- on peak times. Never had bad service or bad food, but I'm certainly not one to never go back to a place because of one bad experience.

I can't wait to try Slow's. I read about it before it opened, and I LOVE barbeque, but just haven't gotten down there yet. We did have abysmal service and food at Tom's while downtown for Riverfest. Nothing like the R.O version...

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows, No one goes there anymore... its too crowded!

Yogi Berra

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, include me out....

Danfrancis
Username: Danfrancis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,

Call me; it's important! I have news that you'll probably want to hear.

Dan

(my apologies for the slight derailment)

(Message edited by DanFrancis on June 26, 2007)

Brushparkbub
Username: Brushparkbub

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slows slows slows. the yardbird sandwich and the mac n cheese are good. but there are many many problems. having every kind of sauce reflects a lack of bbq integrity in my opinion. but that is not that big of a deal.

my big problem with slows is that they don't offer a pulled chicken entree. you can get it in the "big three" entree (brisket, pulled pork and pulled chicken) and you can get it in the yardbird sandwich. but if you just want an entree of pulled chicken you will be turned down. i was told that it was too much work to "pull the chicken." i guess it is easier to "pull" pork than it is to "pull" chicken.

finally, ever since slows got valet parking you know that it is no place for city people. valet parking screams burbs. let the burbies take it over and find another place for bbq... Milts on 7 mile and kelly rd.

slows was great for detroit, but now it is just another old shillelagh taken over by those from "metro detroit."

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of shit this thread is. You got a problem with the place, go talk to a manager. It's not that hard people. You don't like long waits, go to McDonalds or better yet, stay home and smoke your own ribs and whip up some of your own BBQ sauces.
In LA. missing Slows,
Chub

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81:
The east side place you're referring to is Milt's BBQ, on Moross and Kelly. Quality of the food has not changed, even with the murder of Milt. My wife and I prefer the ribs to Slow's.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Chub is totally correct, if you have a problem you should refer to the manager and discuss politely and see how it is handled. I have been with people twice to Slows who did just that, ( Many times I have gone there and it was just fine) and each time they handled it very well, apologetically and compensatory.. To me thats one reason why I go back. The manager actually thanked us and said he wanted to know when something can be improved.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only been there on weeknights, and it was not crowded. I was thinking about taking my dad there on Saturday before we go see the Tigers. Is it usually packed on Saturdays at about 1 PM? (it is a game day)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9515
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha-ha, most times the wait is less than McDonalds...I sounded harsher than I feel about this, hell every restaurant worth its salt in Manhattan or Chicago has a list and/or a line.

(Dan, you talkin' to ME? If so, just add twenty to the last number you had and call me! Got a second phone, that one broke.)

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "You got a problem with the place, go talk to a manager."

What's a manager going to do when the bbq place is out of both ribs for the night, and mac and cheese (which is what happened on a visit to the revered Slows)? Pull it out of his ass? He might as well, it probably would've tasted better.

Slows is great for that block and area, the beer selection is very good and the female staff members are fucking rad. But, the food? That's some overrated shit right there.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever hear of Sticky Fingers? When I lived in Jacksonville FL, yrs back I ate at the place. They are a very good rib place and have a few places in some diffrent states. They should build one here.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love a lot about Slows, including the personality, but can't figure out why the service is so slow and apathetic (though friendly). Also, out of mac-n-chee when I took my mac-n-chee-loving friend two weeks ago. Poo.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went Friday evening. Food excellent, beer excellent, service excellent, atmosphere excellent.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4453
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ever since slows got valet parking you know that it is no place for city people. valet parking screams burbs.

I've had plates of brisket at Slows with more IQ points than this guy. Valet parking is suburban? Hardly. Valet parking is very much an urban solution to parking questions. A good valet crew can efficiently park and retrieve cars several blocks from a location. Valet parking allows Slows to operate in an urban mixed-use building without the need for large parking lots surrounding the restaurant.

Maybe instead of deciding what is or is not "urban" from your parents basement after prom, go to other urban areas and experience actual thriving urbanity. Become a little less provincial and you'll see valet parking is very urban. Detroit is so fucking Gopher Prairie it hurts.

If you are such an unsophisticated rube that envisions Mayberry as a paragon of urbanity at least have the courtesy to stop expecting Detroit to behave like a quilting bee.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BBQ integrity? That's the funniest thing I have read all day.

What we need is ballet parking. Life can be so dull.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it usually packed on Saturdays at about 1 PM?

Both times I went there were on Sat. afternoons and we didn't have to wait at all.

Danfrancis
Username: Danfrancis

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES I'm talking to you! do you have any idea how hard it was to hunt you down? Add twenty to which of the 3 series of numbers? I'm guessing the area code remains the same....

Dan

(once again, sorry for the derailment)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What we need is ballet parking.

Pas de deuce coupe?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The valet who parked by car last time would have looked GREAT in tights.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as food quality goes I have had a lot of good, and a few not-so-good experiences—the service however, has always been great. I think it was naturally above average in the beginning because they had to be. They were a new business trying to get their feet off the ground. However now, the quality of the food is more normal, still great though.

-RB

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eat at Milt's!!!

It would be a good thing to help support his wife and family.

EAT AT MILT'S!!!!!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eat at Milt's!!!

EAT AT MILT'S!!!!!

It's a win/win situation.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, as a former cook at Slows, I feel the need to address some of the issues on this thread. I can't really speak for the service, as the front of house is, as most restaurants go, run separately from back of house. It's a scratch kitchen, and a very busy one at that, and there isn't much time for concerning oneself with floor management.

Anyway, as far as running out of meats, the smoker runs 24/7 and has limited capacity. The ribs are smoked for 6 hours, and there are two types of ribs to load into the smoker, so that's half a day right there. Chicken wings, half chickens, pork shoulders, tomatoes (dressing), shrimp and salmon and the occasional whitefish (fish plate), have to vie for space and smoker time. If someone comes in and orders 4 full slabs and 6 half chickens to go, someone coming in 5 hours later might be out of luck.

Yeah, the place could get another Southern Pride smoker, but where would it go? This is a scratch kitchen working in the confines of an 1890's building, and there was never the expectation upon opening that the place would be so busy all the time from day one, maxing out the space and labor of a crew trying to create good product by hand in totally limited space.

We had to deal with asinine complaints constantly, and the source of most could be traced to a habitual scamming effort among local restaurant-goers who though they could complain willy-nilly to the effect of management giving them their meal for free. It was so pattern that the same cheap complaints would be relayed to us routinely, with the same obvious result.

As far as the pulled chicken entree, yes it does take a lot longer to pull chicken than it does to pull pork, It's a matter of tenderness, and the fact that the chicken is used in three items on the menu and is thus spread much more thinly. You could do what Kwame did when he stopped in, just order a big three without the other two. That was a week before Kwame ended up in a hospital in Texas with diverticulitis because his 'doctor' put him on an all-protein diet.

Now, I can't speak for recent experiences, as I haven't been there for a while, but Brian is an excellent chef, and Mike, the sous chef, works his ass off, and they are both neighborhood guys trying to do something good. Consistency may be an issue, but I defy anyone to live up to the demands that have been foisted on this (initially) humble operation.

All I can say is I loved the people I worked with, and yeah I saw the occasional faults of the servers, and few could be more annoyed than the line crew at those faults, but they were beautiful people individually, and I miss them having moved away.

Essentially, I love that they gave new life to a place where my Corktown-bred mom and aunts/uncles could revisit with positive experiences, the proprietors honored some great architecture with something better than a chop suey joint, and they, like Milt's, deserve patronage. Don't import a Chili's mentality, and don't show up on game day expecting an immediate seat in a small dining room, and you'll have a great time. And if you're bored waiting, the servers tend to be on the attractive side, so there's some eye candy to tide you over while those awesome obscure imports are pouring from the tap.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you GDub. Threads like this give me episodes of acid reflux. Everyone is a critic on this forum anymore. Demanding, intolerant, spoiled, ignorant, armchair critics.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gdub, well said. eat at milts and slows and let this thread be dead.

Jelk

Post Number: 4454
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eat at Milt's!!!

I'm sure you make the trip up from the Ozarks weekly to support Milt's family eh Kath? What a load of douchebag . Telling me where I should or should not eat in order to be a good citizen in a town you don't even fucking live in.

I don't know how things work in the inbred bowels of Arkansas but in big cities (such as Detroit) people often eat at several restaurants. Eating at Slows is not slight of Milt's BBQ or any other place. I know down in the sticks you probably don't have too many options other than the Dairy Queen and the Main Street Diner and if Jimbo (or whomever owns the Diner) sees you at the DQ he's personally offended. It doesn't - or it shouldn't at least - work that way in the big city.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean to start a bashing thread just wanted to relay my recent experience. I have always heard good things about them on here and to have a bad first experience disappointed me thats all. I also understand that everyone has different tastes and likes different things. My complaints were basics that anyone with any kind of taste would have faulted them on. I am happy that someone has started a cool looking, successful restaurant in the city.
P.S I did enjoy all of the sauces at the table-The apple and Spicy ones were good.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 731
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I owned Slow's this is just the type of feedback I'd want. Too often people who are dissatisfied just leave and don't come back, and the owners never knows why.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I owned Slows this is just the type of feedback I'd want in an email or a conversation.

This is not the type of feedback I'd want on a public forum.

People on this forum have a real problem with appropriate resolutions to their complaints. I mean really, why talk to a manager, or write a letter, or open a business, or hell, even live in Detroit when you can just bitch about everything online?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What a load of douchebag . Telling me where I should or should not eat in order to be a good citizen in a town you don't even fucking live in.

Jelk, I know you're like, bein' Jelk and all that, but I didn't see where the original poster did anything more than recommend "a win/win situation" (i.e., good food/good cause).

Maybe she edited out the "don't eat anywhere else" part, and the "if you don't eat there, you are worthy of derision" part.

Jelk

Post Number: 4455
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jelk, I know you're like, bein' Jelk and all that, but I didn't see where the original poster did anything more than recommend "a win/win situation" (i.e., good food/good cause).

A recommendation that had nothing to do with the topic of this thread i.e. Slows. If "Kath" from B.F.E. wants to encourage folks to eat at Milts by all means start a thread about Milts. Her post is no less random then a post about the Oakland A's on a thread about the Tigers.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Tigers!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a Tiger's game and they lost.

Brushparkbub

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,
I'm not sure what made you decide that prom just finished or that i was in the parent's basement.

nevertheless, based on my experience in urban environments (san francisco, seattle, detroit, atlanta) valet parking is necessary and fitting... in places where there is a lack of parking. every time i have gone to slows there has been ample street parking on Mich Ave., behind the restaurant - all over the place. so why do we need efficient valet parking where there is plenty of street parking? the answer is that a whole bunch of burbies are scared to park on the street in corktown. i would assume that any self respecting detroiter would park on the street.

an alternate situation would be if slows was a high end restaurant. i enjoy valet parking when dressed up to go to the opera or just to have a nice meal. but slows is a bbq joint with an extensive beer list - not the whitney.

take your pedestrian insults and park on the street. any response sweetie?

Brushparkbub

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,
I'm not sure what made you decide that prom just finished or that i was in the parent's basement.

nevertheless, based on my experience in urban environments (san francisco, seattle, detroit, atlanta) valet parking is necessary and fitting... in places where there is a lack of parking. every time i have gone to slows there has been ample street parking on Mich Ave., behind the restaurant - all over the place. so why do we need efficient valet parking where there is plenty of street parking? the answer is that a whole bunch of burbies are scared to park on the street in corktown. i would assume that any self respecting detroiter would park on the street.

an alternate situation would be if slows was a high end restaurant. i enjoy valet parking when dressed up to go to the opera or just to have a nice meal. but slows is a bbq joint with an extensive beer list - not the whitney.

take your pedestrian insults and park on the street. any response sweetie?

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valet parking is optional. And when it's busy, parking around there sucks. Especially if there's something going on at the League. When (or should I say if) the Mercury Bar opens, even worse.

Jelk

Post Number: 4456
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

any response sweetie?

Yeah you are a douchebag who is complaining because a locally-owned restaurant has the sheer unmitigated gall to offer an additional service to their customers.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Additionally, whether people here think it or not, there is definitely a perception by many suburbanites that the streets of Detroit are not safe. If they have the option to get out of their car right at the door, they may want to take that option rather than walk down the street.

So what? At least they are here and not at the mall.

Brushparkbub

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more and more insults. you attack my intelligence but can muster nothing more than insults and a passing reference to my argument. respond to my two points. that would be the intelligent and mature approach to this discussion.

i have another question for the board. who uses the valet parking when going to slows? and of those of you who use it valet parking how many of you live in detroit?

Jelk

Post Number: 4457
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

who uses the valet parking when going to slows?

Somebody must otherwise the valet service wouldn't be able to staff the location.

quote:

and of those of you who use it valet parking how many of you live in detroit?

Irrelevant unless you think Detroit businesses should have residency requirements. I don't know or care whether or not Slows' valet customers are more likely to live in Detroit or the suburbs (or out of town all together) but I do know three things:

1. A disposition against valet parking doesn't prevent anyone from going to Slows if they want to.

2. Slows is among the most successful restaurants in metro Detroit, and perhaps the midwest, I think it's pretty cool they are able to do that in Corktown.

3. Brushparkbub is still a douchebag.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.