Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Mercy 's New Athletic Facility « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How'd this get past being mentioned on the forum?

http://www.detroittitans.com/n ews.jsp?id=1181668770557
http://www.detroittitans.com/n ews.jsp?id=1182176332333

It was definitely LONG overdue for the school to have at least a track...

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 763
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, how DID this get past us? Guess I've been avoiding the area lately. Sounds like an ambitious plan.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch for the announcement that the University of Detroit (I still have a hard name adding "Mercy" to the University's name.) will be bringing back American style football. Division II or lower. U of D dropped football after the 1964 season.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

udm dumped men's baseball three years ago
football is more than a decade off, if ever again

the university should have never torn down the old stadium on the northeastern corner of the campus to begin with, however their highest priorities should be improving the housing and getting more students to live on campus

the student union is also laughable

Hybridy

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tompage-i've heard rumors that the mercy will eventually be dropped
you'd be surprised to know how many "what school do you go to again" while calling for interviews out of state
i just say u of d

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'Mercy' is here to stay Hybridy. Look, I graduated from the 'Univerrsity of Detroit Mercy.' I have absolutely no problem with it being called that and anyone that has gone there in the last decade shouldn't either. No need for a second name change, again.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news. Are they replacing Calihan Hall?

Any renderings yet?

<313>

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not replacing Calihan Hall. They are putting this complex where the current soccer field is -- Northeast corner of campus. Obviously it'll then take up some more of the parking lot both to the west and south since the whole complex will be bigger (added track, stands, etc).

There were some renderings at one point posted but they took them off the story for some reason. UDM is really doing some good and interesting things nowadays and has some real good positive momentum.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most new high-school tracks in Michigan will be better than this one...6 lanes is a joke--why waste your time. You can't host any major competition unless you have 9 full lanes.

I guess any track is better than the coach trucking the kids to nearby high-schools to train on.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to replace Calihan...best place to watch a basketball game in the state. What it lacks in amenities it more than makes up for it in sightlines and experience.

Hybridy

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no paulie
mercy is on the outs
you'll see
although my diploma will have it-unfortunately

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Hybridy have some inside dope the rest of us lack?

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes

Hybridy

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have no "inside dope"
i do work within administration and have been there the past four years. i do not claim to know anything that isn't already public knowledge within the university.
the whole mercy thing is just a prediction, and i also think that the "great things" campaign is on the outs as well
udm needs to actively change their image to engage more students who want to live on campus and make a change

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 485
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDM needs to do more about its neighborhood. It is in a region that is already depressed and from which young adults flee in droves (strike 1), and then within that region it is in a city that has lost something like 60% of its population in the past fifty years (strike 2) and has less-than-adequate public transportation which might mean something to college students (strike 3) and the neighborhood around 6/Liv does not offer the kinds of amenities students would want (coffee shops, nightlife, places to eat, places to shop).

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof Scott - you are dead on with some of the challenges facing UDM. However in recent years enrollment is up nicely and overall interest in university is real positive.

Fortunately, Kwame and the CoD are more focused on the neighborhoods (at least some of them) including getting the UDM neighborhood and surroundings turned around.

As a school UDM is doing more things to increase its attractiveness to students, but the reality is that it is a strong commuter school (which isn't necessarily bad, just a reality). They are investing more into student centered items and overall putting more dollars into buildings, facilities and the campus. This gets back to the relative financial health of the school and its ability to use funds in this manner.

I'm bullish on the school and fortunately there are many passionate supporters of the school out there (although not enough!). Livernois is slowly coming along and the blvd'ing should help.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Professorscott that UDM has ever so much more important issues to work on, that a name change is not a big priority. I (and everyone that has gone there in the last decade) have very little connection to the name "U of D" as I went to "Detroit Mercy." Not to mention the fact that all those people with money that went to Mercy College of Detroit deserve some due recognition since Detroit Mercy sold off their former campus. Tell me these opinions are way out of line.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt notice myself until i rode by it about 6 this morning. Seems like it is going to be huge complex...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, don't taking Calihan Hall. The last time I was there Cooley and Southwestern were playing for the city title. Perry Watson hadn't lost in ninty-something games and they beat Cooley.

But Cooley won the state at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor.

<313>

Hybridy

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul. Lets be rational here. Who would you rather appeal to? A few people from Mercy or the majority from U of D. I've been at the majority of alumni events, as a student, for the past 4 years and I mostly see alums from U of D. They are the ones writing checks and supporting the University. Yes, you graduated from UDM, but I can honestly bet you aren't writing 7 figure checks to UDM just yet. And yes I have seen one. I agree the neighborhood needs fixing, but we need to look within andf fix our own problems before we go tackle the neighborhood. Pull the splinter out of your own eye, before you pull out your neighbors. Come on, we all went to Catholic school-lol

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Calihan has had quite a few improvements in the last few year from new bleachers to the "hall of fame" to new concession stands to a redo of the concourse so that it looks up to date and not 1950s dated any longer. So it is in pretty good shape for a while. Certainly the university had that building as a priority before adding any new facilities.

Hybridy

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think people may be confused when we refer to this new project. No buildings are being erected. It's a artificial turf field with a rubber track around it. And maybe in a few years some bleachers and concessions. Not so landmark. The Chemistry Building is the next big thing, if that project ever starts. I think Holden got new windows. There are discussions of a student recreation facility-multipurpose for general student population. Since we no longer have the Ward Conference Center on Outer Drive something has to be done with the Union. There is no media/presentation space. The Ballroom is crumbling and the President's Dining Room is...well outdated. The Fountain Lounge can only go so far. We're also short a theatre. The Quads will need new bathrooms within a few years and the Mall will go through a change. I can see the school tacking onto the union to the south, decreasing the size of Kassab Mall. The McNichols Entrance needs to change to be more like the Livernois entrance. Since we're a commuter school it's more of a logical choice to have a greater presence for all of the Oakland and Macomb county commuters.

Paul have you seen the original campus plans from the 20's? You'd flip at how campus should have looked.

(Message edited by hybridy on June 25, 2007)

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the University the other day and the parking lot was pretty tore up. I figured DYes would have the lowdown on it.

BTW, I'm glad to hear that the Chem building is on the University's to do list. That place was downright archaic. Now how about a little love for Life Sciences?
-Spiff

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many universities outside of maybe some Ivy League schools, have a 1920s original lecture room? The one in the Chem buildings is, but yeah, that building is the most in need of an update.

Hybridy

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha
life science got a new roof and the two big lecture halls in the 1-story portion got a complete overhaul-chairs, lights, paint, dropped ceilings, and media equip last year

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.