Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » ? about Marriot Ren Cen « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked their (summer) weekend rates and they vary significantly even within their 'quality room' categories.

My question has to do with the location/river views of the rooms.

Are the difference in rates because of amenties other then view? Good river views in all price ranges?

I'm thinking of staying there the Sat and Sun when the Yankees are in town.

Thanks,

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 22, 2007)

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 22, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. I got it for $189 many months ago for the night of July 7 (wedding to attend, and I aint' driving back to Grosse Pointe afterwards :-) ).

Seems expensive, but I booked months ago. I don't think there are rooms left anymore that weekend.

No idea what room I'm getting. Supposed to be 2 queens and non-smoking.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5497
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on what event is happening that weekend, the rates can fluctuate wildly. I know that rooms with a view for the Fireworks night are pretty pricey. Whether it's more than usual for the Yankees baseball weekend, I have no idea.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, theyre ALL non-smoking now.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, all the rooms have a view of something. The floor plan of the hotel floors are round with the rooms being in the circle around the core elevators and service. The rooms on the south side face the river, and the ones on the north look straight into downtown. Long story short, I can't imagine that 'a river view' would necessarily be an more impressive than a view of the skyline on the other side.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great answer, CP.

I was thinking if I went for a 'low end' room (if there is such a thing at the Ren Cen) that I would get stuck with a view of nothing worth viewing.

Also, as I read the rates the difference in rates have to do with amenities like breakfast, etc. and not the view of the river or a parking garage.

I'd like to spend the Sat and Sun of the Yanks' series in downtown and be a good member of this forum and walk, worship, eat and spend money in downtown and not stay in the burbs, burn gas, and park in those much hated surface parking lots.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arguably the Ren Cen Marriot would have some of the best views in detroit, so if you can get something competitively priced I say go for it! I guess that potentially there could be rooms that could look straight at one of the office towers or at a parking deck. What hotels honestly price their rooms individually? If you get one with a crappy view, couldn't you go to the front desk and ask for a better one?

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always ask for the same set of rooms on the 64th floor (hospitality suite + bedroom). The hotel is very accommodating and the views are great from that floor.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm already booked on NWA and now booked the weekend of Aug 25/26 at the Ren Cen Marriott.

I asked for high floor.

Just need my Tig tickets and I'll have everything pretty well nailed down.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9456
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm already booked on NWA and now booked the weekend of Aug 25/26 at the Ren Cen Marriott.

Look at Mr. optimist that thinks his NWA flight will actually show up. :-)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, this NWA problem (pilots up against the their hours worked limit) could be an issue again in late July and August.

Fortunately, I have an a.m. flight and the first Tigs' game I'm attending is a night game.

Otherwise I sue NWA for 54M (like the D.C. attorney who sued for lost pants). ;-)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have asked me earlier Emu_steve... I sold my 2 tickets behind home plate to a woman at work. I hope to be fishing on Lk. MI that weekend!

I hope you've got yours. I just searched for 2 "Best Available" for Aug. 25th, and all that is there is Standing Room.

James

Emu_steve

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. If I had known, I would have gone for them and taken a friend.

I asked some Detroit friends who are season tix holders and no one wants to give up Yanks tixs.

Why? Yanks are a measly .500 team. ;-)

I just bought single tixs for all three games I'll be out for.

SRO baby for the George Steinbrenner's Evil Empire.

Jrvass

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately there is no way to send you a private message with this forum software.

Contact me at jrvass@comcast.net

I have a lead to some good seats. Don't worry. When you see it, you'll know it is a reputable organization.

James

Emu_steve

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James, thanks but I bought singles off tickets.com after I saw your post.

I jumped.

I'll keep your e-mail address for future reference.

Amazing but single tixs aren't always a tough ticket. (I got behind the dugout singles for the Tigs when they were in D.C. last week - believe the row had an odd number of seats).

Jrvass

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are happy, I am happy! Here is the link I was going to share:

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ det/ticketing/tigersreplay.jsp

Season ticket holders can resell their seats for games they cannot attend. I'm surprised I didn't think of it earlier!

(I guess because after this weekend, I am selling and going fishing, not buying!)

Have fun at the games! I'll be listening on either FM or XM (Whatever the boat picks up in Lake Michigan!)

:-)

James

James

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.