Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fire around Conant Gardens Today? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in downtown Hamtramck today and saw a plume of black smoke rising in the north. Went up about 1,000 feet or so into the sky. At first I thought the old hospital on Carpenter was on fire, but I thought it may be farther north, perhaps in the Conant Gardens area.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure about this but there was an apartment fire at 6 Mile and Goddard earlier. That might be it, but I could be completely off.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could see the plume of smoke from 10 1/2 mile and Van Dyke. When looking south towards downtown it looked like the 6 and Mound area. Not real sure of the location.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 Mile & Goddard sounds right. It was basically straight ahead as I turned north on Chene.

I could see it from the Indian Village area and also Dearborn, around 10am.

(Message edited by Dougw on June 22, 2007)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 Mile and Goddard. We have a winner. Photo?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 had a report about it on their website. It was a auto junk yard that had a fire. A few of the cars were fully involved. It was a McNichols and Goddard.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Harsensis. I guess we can pass on the photos of the burned junk yard.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitNerd: Thankfully it was not the hospital on fire, I live a block from there. Although it has been severely damaged by scrappers, it has been purchased by an investment firm. There are no plans on what to do with it so far, but it did change ownership within the last few months. The former hospital laundry facility (white brick building on the corner of JC and Carpenter) has had water pouring out of a 1 1/2 inch service for weeks, daily calls to the water department do not help. Although I would like to see something productive go into those buildings...I would be happy just to see them just well secured and safe. But one thing I would not want is to see them burned, so I'm thankful it wasn't the hospital!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.