Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Negativism report « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Free Press:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070622/BUS INESS04/706220324/1002

"A new report from the University of Michigan warns that the state's negative self-image may be doing more harm than its very real economic challenges...'We're driving away some of our best talent by this negative focus,' ..."

I crack up (or cringe-- I'm not sure which) at the comments posted on Freep and Detnews stories. Incredible negativism-- and smart-a$$ too. We've had a trend in this country the last 20 years where people attack ideas and people with absolutely no constructive intent. There is no dialog, no exchange of ideas-- just attack. Is this from an inability to express ideas? A lack of imagination? Pure hatred of everyone and everything?

Personally, I don't think we're going down the tubes. Detroit is a great place to live. Michigan is a great place to live. We've changed the world more than once, and we'll do it many times over in the future.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, as well have felt this negative vibe. I guess it just comes with the situation. People are confused and frightened and our defense mechanism is to become surly. I suspect this will change within a couple of years. I'm happy, but I guess that's because I get to hide in academia for a couple more years.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, part of the problem is the Detroit newspapers themselves. They write for lowest common denominator, which promotes this lack of imagination and simplicity you're talking about.

Unfortunately, Detroit also suffers from this "tool and die" mentality where use of a Latinate word will get you ostracized.

A Google search on "Latinate words" turned up this interesting article:

A Short History of the English Language

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet another argument for "uniting the International family of communities surrounding the Straits of Detroit."

We have many differences and divisions but it is so important that we focus on the more important things we have in common, cooperate and keep our differences off center stage.

Almost any issue facing us can bring focus negative or positive aspects. Wallowing in the negative may bring more entertainment, but focusing on the positive brings the unity, energy and action.

Our local media and community as a whole needs adopt a more positive focus. This doesn't mean avoiding honest debate about the many challenges we face; it just suggests that we all agree not to drag our collective reputation and image through the mud while we work things out.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me or have the Free Press and News really gone down hill? They seem more like entertainment rag mags than newspapers anymore.....I still am amazed that they have contest during news broadcasts! How dumbed down can the big news outlets get!? It is all about selling stuff and not good quality journalism it seems...and if that were not the case perhaps they would not be so motivated to spew nothing but bad news about the region.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 719
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem here is one of balance.

Everyone w/ any kind of stake (financial, nostalgic, emotional) should want the City to do well and to focus on the good things as often as possible.

The problem is there are so many negatives they cannot be ignored. If a friend told me he was contemplating moving his business to Detroit, and asked my opinion, I'd certainly point out the positives, but I feel I'd also have to advise him of the negatives. Being in MI and subject to and burdened by its horrible financial condition, tax system and the inordinate union influence is a negative right off the bat.

How can one ignore the terrible school system, the bloated municipal workforce, the abominable City services (try calling any City department/agency and see how many days it takes to get through. Try writing letters and see if, not when, you get a response.)The real estate taxes are horrendous compared to other municipalities and the services provided; the tax rates and assessments are both out of whack.

City income taxes are virtually designed to drive people out of the City, especially the affluent. (Comerica is not moving to TX; it's high priced executives are, primarily to avoid MI and the City income taxes. TX has no income tax.)

I daresay most Detroiters feel we are not getting our money's worth tax-wise, service wise, or any other wise.

Promote the positive but ignore the negatives at one's peril.

Unless enough people address the negatives things will never improve.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen brother.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely right , couldn't have said it any better .

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third World.....
Absolutely right , couldn't have said it any better .

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, Moscow, Russia has a self-image problem remarkably similar to Detroit's.

Traditionally they expect the worst for themselves but, if you critically examine what they actually produce, their quality and quantity is just short of a miracle. Paradoxically, they try very hard despite their expectations of defeat, and so they succeed. However, their self-criticism prevents them from recognizing their success. It's the Moscow tragedy, traditionally.

The song "Moscow Nights" is playing in my mind right now.

Sing on, Detroit!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4586
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After just hearing the shit Pelosi and Feinstein pulled, I will be negative for quite some time. Just another brick in the wall.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, i don't feel that Detroit has such a negative attitude, just a defeated one. If you look at our history, we are the ones that pushed the limits of innovation and technology. Now look where it has left us. So forgive us if we are a little cynical. It took the Germans a little rougher hard knocks than us, but look at their building frenzy over there. It is no longer about the twenties mentality of the 'deutscher werkbund ' and industrial prominence, they've learned to respect quality of life. Those of us with negative attitudes are simply just crushed by big industry and ineffective beauracracies. So i say that i'm truly happy to live in Detroit and mostly have a negative attitude towards places like Vegas , Phoenix, LA, Atlanta and every other place that completely and unapologetically subscribes to mass consumption idealogies. Detroit is a haven, even though we complain that we sit and wait on building and rehab projects, maybe its just because we've been down some of those roads before and don't want to make the same mistakes as our predesecors. Unfortunately i get even more negative when i see so much opportunity wasted. But we're getting there. There is alot of good thingd going on with the City right now, even if we all can't agree on them. I'll take some of the bad if we get mostly good. It's still a long haul though.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey comrade let's drink some vodka together and not be negative. We celebrate downtown goodies but neighborhoods going to hell. Too bad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.