Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Crime Statistics 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I posted something about this awhile back but couldn't find the thread.....

Anyway, I was curious if the DPD publishes recent crime statistics, arrests, etc on their website so citizens can see what's happening and take an aggressive stance to work against the problem. I think the answer before was no. I'm wondering if this has changed.

I'm also curious if Detroit (or other large cities) print/post a list of crimes reported on any given day. My reason for asking has to do with the CNN article by Lou Dobbs and the Kwame interview regarding the number of people killed in US cities and how it compares to those soldiers in Iraq. I do not want to take away from those who have died overseas, but I would like to know how many people are killed each day in America's cities. I suspect this information is not easily gathered, but it would provide a good way for people to see the death most of us are ignoring.

Any way to get this information?

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome: Here is an example for Baltimore:
http://www.baltimorepolice.org /
Steps:
1. Resources
2. Police Crime Tools
3. Police Crime Mapping
New screen pops up. Type in address or zip and it maps for you all crimes within a 1/2 mile.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Baltimore Police web site is well thought out and easy to navigate. Jerome81, some of may be ignoring the death around us, I seek it out. I am not as interested in numbers as I am in why. I would never compare them with war death, though, as they come from reasons. ( I just opened the door for the Bush[and Co] accusers]. DPD does keep count, because we hear crime stats quoted to them from news reports. I know what I would do to take “aggressive stance to work against the problem.” I am curious what you might think the citizens options would be?

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Louis PD has a site that maps crimes, though it's not that user friendly. They do have pdf files that break the monthly crime data down by neighborhoods which is more useful.

pdfs:
http://64.218.68.50/slmpdweb/c rimestats/index.htm

crime map:
http://64.218.68.50/slmpdweb/s afecity/index.htm

There is also chicagocrime.org, which I think is the best in terms of usability.

There's really no reason Detroit PD can't release their data in a timely manner.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago has a crime database at www.chicagocrime.org It is even tied into Google maps. Here in Detroit, it is next to impossible to get crime statistics except for those required by the FBI and they only give the stats for the entire city, not block-by-block like Chicago does. Any DPD execs on this list? How about releasing some of that data? If Chicago can do it, why can't we?

I have heard that the reasoning for not releasing the data is that the press will use it to hurt Detroit's image. Personally, I would think that most people would be surprised that Detroit is not as bad as they think. I think the image of Detroit is worse than the reality and the release of detailed crime stats would actually help to improve the image of the city and give community activists and block watch groups useful information to work with.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Chicago doesn't run Chicagocrime.org. They do run a site, which has a very poor user interface, that details crime on a block by block level. The guy that runs chicagocrime actually pulls the data from the city's site and adds the google maps and stuff. When I talked with the guy, he told me that the city doesn't necessarily like his site but they don't shut him down either.

I've looked into making something similar for the CoD but it was a waste of time. The CoD has neither the technology, funds, time, or desire to enable access to this information.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 948
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason Chicago has this kind of computerized crime data available is that their PD uses it for mapping and identifying trouble spots so they can focus their scarce resources accordingly. They also use their crime "data warehouse" to identify patterns and help close more cases. Once you are convinced of the value of policing using computerized statistical and graphical crime data, it appears that the next step is to share it with the public you serve (after all, it is public data and it can be handled paperlessly). It appears that Detroit's PD brass are still stuck in the 19th Century.

(Message edited by Mikeg on June 22, 2007)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Haven's Crime Log

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Detroit is no longer the most violent per capita. Flint is! Detroit is number 3.
Welcome to Michigan! We rank high in Violence!
I believe the state police need to have a board that meets periodically to discuss crime around the whole state, identify the trends, and the places worst hit, then meet with the local police officials to offer some help.
I also believe the governor needs to step in and authorize the power to expand jurisdictions.In the parts of the highest crime cities, at the time of day it is highest, County deputies and state troopers need to patrol the streets and take some of the load off the city departments to help combat crime. They should also be able to assist with calls to make response times quicker.For example, have MSP and GEN. County patrolling Flints worst areas when crime is at its worst.Have them drive through for an increased presence. When calls back up, let them respond to some.
I doubt it will happen, but I think it needs to be looked at.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Chicago doesn't really want the information out there, either. Chicago, and much of Illinois, don't even report all categories to the FBI for the annual reports.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 744
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that a highly accurate running tally of murders in Detroit for 2007 can be found at this website:

http://sof8mile.blogspot.com/

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For several reasons, a neighborhood-by-neighborhood breakdown of crime statistics for Detroit would be helpful. It would highlight the fact that there are safe, stable neighborhoods in Detroit. The total number of murders each year, and the percent increase or decrease in violent crime over years before is what makes the news. I don't think a neighborhood-by-neighborhood breakdown would hurt our image any more than it already is.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading on an earlier thread that yes, DPD crime stats are nigh impossible to get. Even with invoking the Freedom of Information Act. Which is quite disappointing. Maybe the FoIA doesn't apply here?

I could probably do the same thing as the Chicago guy if the DPD would just put their stats online. Web-scraping for the win!

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin: You bring up a very valuable point. Baltimore also has a high murder rate but when they are reported, the neighborhood where it occurs is usually mentioned moreso than the city. The BCPD also has neighborhood breakdowns of crime. It does help with people's perspectives. They know that they can still invest in many parts of the city without the fear of getting shot.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez where in Detroit would that be? In front of the police department? Hell, they've had shootings in the police department.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.