Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "pure michigan" Detroit commercial « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I came across this ad in the detroit section of Michigan.org and I really liked it. I thought the TV ad could have shown more of the city like eastern market, WSU, festivals, neighborhoods. But overall I thought it was a good commercial showing a "real city" which I love. Also there is a radio ad which is much better and it is much more descriptive

anyway to see it go to the Detroit section of michigan.org under color my world video. For the radio ad it is just under it called night and day

here is the link: http://www.michigan.org/travel /partners/DetroitFamilyFun/Det roit.Family.Fun.asp?link=travn av

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5462
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And FYI in case anyone wanted to know, but that's our very own Tim Allen doing the voiceovers for all of those spots.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ads. Where are these ads playing elsewhere outside of just being posted on michigan.org?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there on wwj & wjr and others all day long

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a fair amount of tourist ads on television for Michigan.

Indianapolis market

(Message edited by club boss on June 21, 2007)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 852
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago area tele has them running regularly, more the overall Michigan tourism ads promoting beaches, lakes, golf, sights, etc., not specifically Detroit.
Very well produced ad campaign, IMHO. Hopefully they're working, tourism dollars are key.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9496
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just drove to Duluth over the weekend, and caught the spots at various surprising places on the trip.

They're doing a great job covering the states where people could drive in for a vacation.

I'm very impressed with this campaign.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they mention we have the (or some of the) highest gas prices around?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the ads touting Detroit several times while waiting on flights out of DTW over the past year.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In chicago I agree the pure michigan television ads are all over the place. Also Ive seen billboard ads taking over full sides of the double decker Chicago tour buses and being visible from the swimming pool of uppity workout clubs like east bank club. On another note, I think the pure michigan television ads are great and give me the chills, on the other hand, from what I saw of the Detroit television ads created by the Detroit Tourism Bureau that are set to air in GRAP and the mistake by the lake (Cleveland) they seem amateur and kindof make me cringe.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9497
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo,

NO discussion of higher gasoline prices will keep the tourists from your haven this summer, no matter HOW much you might want to avoid the influx!

You know nothing of high gas prices until you drive through Chicagoland, they've got a thirty to fifty cent bump due to their supposed gas configuration requirements...so at the very least, the Chicagoans will drive up to clutter your streets because it is CHEAPER than staying home!

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you making this about me? Did I ever say I didnt want anyone up here where I live? NO

I asked if they mentioned the high gas prices

Whatcha paying downstate (Michigan) its 3.09 up here. I know a lot of people who cancelled their vaca or scaled back on where they are going because of gas prices. Maybe you dont.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit to McCann-Erickson of Farmington Hills for producing the ads. Beautiful words. Beautiful images.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070509/METRO /705090424

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I payed $2.90 today. And I am downstate, so I think you're getting ripped. I love the Pure Michigan ads, I have seen the Detroit one in Bay City, and the up north ones.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 701
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah we are getting ripped. I just wondered if downstaters will be prepared to spend most of their vaca money on gas.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5465
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo...they're TOURISM ads for our state... not just for any particular part of the state, but the WHOLE state.

Why would you even want to talk about gas prices as a lure for anyone? Why would that matter and how would that even help tourism? It's called going on vacation for people; it's not about practicality & being a cheapskate.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 702
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*rolling eyes*

I KNOW what the ads are. Most people come Up North in the summer. The gas prices are higher here than down there.
It will take a chunk out of their vaca money

It does matter cause they can go to some other state and pay much less if they are on a budget

sheesh,

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 517
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they show lots during the tigers game.

This is an $11 million project, with $8.5 being focused outside the state. I have seen many of the billboards throughout Ohio as well as Metro Detroit.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5467
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Miss_cleo... borrowing from your logic then, if the ads are to promote Michigan, I'll ask again... why would you want the ads to even mention OUR higher gas prices then? With your idea of mentioning the higher gas prices, aren't you swaying them from coming to Michigan? Isn't your logic counter productive to what the ads are to promote? And the ads aren't JUST about Northern Michigan- they're to promote ALL of Michigan as a tourist destination.

*eyes rolling back at you because you totally missed what the Pure Michigan ads are about*

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
I'm pretty sure Miss Cleo was being facetious when asking if the ads mentioned gas prices. Why she bothered to post the comment, I don't know.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*eyes rolling right back atcha* cause you dont recognise a tongue in cheek comment when its right in front of you

and its a valid question/concern Lets lure them in with our natural beauty and then hit them in the pocketbook with our high gas prices. I mean, what are they gonna do but pay them, they are trapped

Guess you dont realize most families travel with a set budget. So it will be less attractions, suvioners etc to pay to fill up the family truckster That ='s less money for local businesses and more for the good ole' state of Michigan!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5470
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"tongue in cheek" and "valid question/concern"? You speak out two sides of your mouth Miss_cleo.

And don't patronize me about not people vacationing with budgets, but then that was about the last cohesive thought you had in that last "sentence" so I'll forgive you.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, you have never said anything as a joke and then realized that it was a very valid concern? What a special person you are, kudoos!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5471
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But when it comes to your more than pathetic attempts at tongue in cheek, it hardly reaches over to validity, Miss_cleo.

Maybe I missed your feeble attempt to be "facetious" as Oliverdouglas said, but it still speaks volumes of yoursad attempt at humor and to answer why anyone producing these Pure Michigan ads would even speak of gas prices.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess yours is the be all, end all opinion of the world. How important you are that you can just dismiss other peoples thoughts!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5472
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never once did I dismiss your thoughts Miss_cleo. You just could never be eloquent enough to explain yourself properly.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does Mr. Cleo get his information???? MIchigan is not the state with the highest prices. 20 higher.
Latest gas prices for country:
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GB_Pri ce_List.aspx

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard "a lot" of good things about these commercials and downtown Detroit in "another area".

Much better than BS Cleveland+ (say Cleveland plus)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent campaign. I never hear it in CA, but when I was in Chicago last month, I heard it several times on the radio there.

Maybe it is because I was born in Michigan, and spent many years there, maybe the ads are just that good. I don't know, but it almost chokes me up a lot of times. Reminds me of the good old days. The time spent at my grandparents on the beach in Holland, the fun times I had in Detroit. The Christmases at relatives houses, the snow, the fall. Just reminds you of all the wonderful things about Michigan, while taking away all your images about the economy, the jobs, the run-down neighborhoods, and all that other bad stuff that seems to be coming from Michigan these days.

Its just really nice to hear something great, and bring back great memories.

Probably doesn't have that type of pull on people not from Michigan though. Can't say if they replaced it with Ohio or Wisconsin that I'd feel the same way.

I hope it has an effect on others from out of state like it has on me. Hell, makes me want to go on vacation there :-)

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW those are really great ad's, I guess Im kinda wondering why I havent seen any where I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana considering were so close to Michigan (60 miles south of the border) and are a metropolitan area of 500 thousand. I dont think they have plans for northeast Indiana spots but they should!

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT ADS. Those commercials talk about something I have said was always a strength for Detroit. And that is that it is still unique and not covered in chains, etc.

I am glad they are playing it up.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only are the Detroit ads great here is the rest of the ads for other parts of the state. I agree with Jerome it kinda does get me choked up too. I love the one for the saginaw valley and the soo ( I love saginaw but I never thought you could do that good of a tourist ad for the area)it kind of shocked me . But the nickname ad is my favorite. Here is the link for all of them

http://www.michigan.org/medc/a boutus/biz/index.asp?showall%2 0=true&c=TM

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could never be eloquent enough huh? What an incredible rude, elitist thing to say to some one. Must be great to be you and be so perfect. I will bow out of this thread now since I am not good enough to share my thoughts here.

I guess Jjw cant read to well, its MISS Cleo and I said Mi was one of the highest, not THE highest. Try again.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a Michigan Tourism convention last year in Lansing, and the guy from the state tourism council behind these ads were there. They said that they took the "Pure Michigan/Tim Allen" clips all over the country and people instantly fell in love with them. The way they described the reactions at the convention would have given you tingles! ;)

Smogboy

Post Number: 5475
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accept the truth Miss_cleo, when you post asinine things here, get questioned and you can't even provide semi-intelligent responses, be prepared to get flamed and called out. It's not elitism when you can't stitch a paragraph together to answer a simple question like mine of why the Pure Michigan ads should even talk about high gas prices- it's simple lack of coherent thought on your part.

I'd be willing to accept the fact that you posted facetiously or in jest (and a fair amount of us missed that clunky humor), but you couldn't even explain that with any semblance of believability. And it's not just this thread that you'll end up slinking away thinking you somehow won the debate, but there are numerous other ones where you've just been simply shouted down due to your arrogance.

Simply put, enjoy the beautiful ads for what they tout and not bring up inane things like gas prices.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard adds for the MEDC (Michigan Economic Development Corp.) down here in Charlotte, NC encouraging people to relocate their businesses there. Nothing for tourism though. Maybe I will have to watch teh Tigers today beat those dastardly Braves and see if maybe they don't spot an ad during the game...

(Message edited by charlottepaul on June 23, 2007)

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're throughout the country. Well-written and produced.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonderful. thats all i have to say

Stewart
Username: Stewart

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I edited the tv ads. The ad agency (McCann Erickson) would have liked to show more of Detroit, but filming and airing the tv spots is costly and keeping the balance of urban and rural attractions is sometimes a compromise. As far as revenue from tourist dollars are concerned, the likeliness of out-of-staters (the target market for the ads) coming in to fish, hunt, golf and take trips through small towns in Michigan is great. The ads also stress Michigan's "lake effect" - vacation opportunities unique to our state.
I'm glad people in the forum like the concept of the ads. I'll pass it along to the writer and Tim Allen. He enjoys reading for them. It's different than his comedy schtick, and he loves his home state.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5529
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stewart, please do! These Pure Michigan ads are really nice & evocative. They touch the sappy part in all of us. It's not just a montage of pretty pictures showing the cools parts of our state, the script/ copy actually strikes a chord with a lot of us. For those of us that live here, it gives us pause to remind ourselves of how cool it really it is to be a part of this state.

Prior to these ads, the last time I saw such effective heart warming tourism ads were the ones for Discover Ontario Tourism back in the late 80's/ early 90's. Also magical.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard the ad again on 'CSX. I have to say that what probably draws at most of our heart-strings is hearing how Tim Allen reads - no, says - the words. He seems to REALLY feel what he says and I think we can all relate to that feeling, at least somewhere deep in side of everyone who has lived in MI.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.