Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Kroger to buy 20 Farmer Jack stores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Crain's:

"The Farmer Jack stores included in the deal are in: Birmingham, Dearborn Heights, Dearborn (two locations), Northville, Hartland Township, St. Clair Shores, Hazel Park, Troy (three locations), Sterling Heights, Algonac, Grosse Pointe, Roseville, Westland (two locations), Brownstown Township, Romeo and Imlay City."

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very surprised and outraged no one picked up the store at 7Mile and Livernois. So.. no Detroit stores, huh? I told y'all about supporting the enemy!

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping someone was going to buy the branch at Southfield Rd. north of 12 mile in Southfield. That's a really nice store.

Professorscott

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx,

I was not surprised. Kroger has chosen to operate zero stores in Detroit for many years. (If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.) If that's so, it would have been surprising if they had chosen to suddenly go back into the City market by purchasing someone else's leases.

Prof. Scott

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A side note: If you shop Meijer you will save 10% if you turn in your Farmer Jack card. Offer good till this Saturday, the 23rd.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about ten and Coolidge (My first Job) That store always seemed busy to me. I would 'hope' Wal-Mart can open a few super-centers around the city soon.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they're closing down the store in St. Clair, which is the only grocery store in the city. Smooth move.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birmingham?
Which one would that be?
Bloomfield or Troy?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was not surprised. Kroger has chosen to operate zero stores in Detroit for many years.

7 Mile and Gratiot, opened to much fanfare closed within a year. Store was robbed blind, including stealing the Christmas decorations as soon as they were put up. No way in hell they were going to make that mistake again.

(Message edited by _sj_ on June 20, 2007)

Professorscott

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to A&P's web site, these stores are at the moment "available" in Michigan. I won't speculate what that means with regard to stores that were not on the above list nor this one.

available supermarkets
us 24 & mi 81, caro, MI
4270 vienna road, clio, MI
3711 lapeer road, flint, MI
605 north cedar, imlay city, MI
3520 pine grove, port huron, MI
605 west sanilac, sandusky, MI
54750 shelby road, shelby township, MI
44855 hall road, sterling heights, MI
52801 shelby, utica, MI
4242 e. ten mile, warren, MI
415 summit drive, waterford twp, MI
6565 orchard lake, west bloomfield, MI
m-59 & fisk rd., white lake, MI
3020 washtenaw ave., ypsilanti, MI

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell your cousins to stop robbing stores blind, then maybe they won't be afraid to open stores in the city anymore. I can't even begin to tell you how many thefts the Oak Park store has had.

p.s. Kroger chose the stores that were the most "profitable". That was their major criteria. Even though a store may look good, that doesn't mean that the profit margin was there.

Professorscott

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incidentally, to Focusonthed: down the "river" from St. Clair, in Marine City, there has never been a major-chain grocery store; but that city has a VG's Market, which is quite large and has a good selection.

St. Clair has a grocery store, just not a major chain grocery store.

I find it more disturbing that Detroit, once again, will not have a major chain grocery (so far as we can tell right now). City of over 800K, no major grocery. Very odd.

By the way, to you theft-o-phobes: big city grocery stores have loss due to "shrinkage" (as they say) in every big city and quite a few major 'burbs, but that doesn't stop 'em from opening stores. There's something odd about how corporations handle the D.

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you getting the information that they're closing down the St Clair Farmer Jack? I hadn't heard that.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep reading on these forums how someone can't believe some entity is not investing in the Detroit inner city. No offense, but if they feel that strongly and it would be such a wise move from a profitablilty standpoint, why don't they do it themselves? This notion that large machandisers have some obligation to a certain demograph, puzzles me. And questioning why they don't invest in the inner city puzzles me.

These large chains, have one goal, bottom line profits and that is it. They don't care if anyone eats or not. It's all about the money.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shrinkage and thus the loss of the FJ stores are due to the large freeway expansions and the shutting down of public bus routes.

Unless, we elect officials in our state government to protect our inner cities and inner suburbs such as Livonia, there is just no incentive for businesses to invest in areas that need more jobs.

Next August 2010, we have a choice to support SMART. The time is now to get the quality investments and support our mass transit systems need to bring back our inner cities. This can't be done in six months or one or two years. The time to take action is now by writing to our elected officials and tell them to stop being stupid but instead to be SMART. Or, you will be voting them out of office.

Professorscott

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody has said they are closing any particular store. Kroger is not buying the one in St. Clair, and according to all the news stories, Kroger is the only major chain buying any of the FJ stores. So the St. Clair store will either close or become an independent or small-chain grocery.

Since it's not on the available list, my guess would be "independent or small-chain grocery", but that's just my guess.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, what about the East Jefferson ans St. Jean location? That one being within an earshot from Grosse Pointe almost sounds like a definite go 4 it, I'd hate 2 see it become a Spartan Store.

And BTW, I do agree that the G-7 location (Gratiot and 7 Mile) wasn't the best one either. I shopped there twice and haven't been back-even when they closed it-I was just flat out insulted by what I saw.

shevles emptied
produce rotten
meats (including seafood) were smelly
[the joint stunk real badly as soon as you walked in the door!]
floors CONSTANTLY dirty (when FJ in the heart(s) of the hood, they weren't THAT filthy!)

but like the Sstashmoo pointed out, it's all about the money.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where are you getting the information that they're closing down the St Clair Farmer Jack? I hadn't heard that.

Professorscott covered it. Since Farmer Jack is ceasing to exist in Michigan, and Kroger won't be operating that store, that likely means it will close. It wouldn't surprise me, my parents (who live a mile away) tell me that the store has really gone downhill since the Meijer opened in Marysville.

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is to bad Kroger did not buy the Farmer Jack
at Jefferson and St. Jean. It was always well stocked,clean and very busy.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"quote:

Professorscott covered it. Since Farmer Jack is ceasing to exist in Michigan, and Kroger won't be operating that store, that likely means it will close. It wouldn't surprise me, my parents (who live a mile away) tell me that the store has really gone downhill since the Meijer opened in Marysville."

Theres another Meijer opening at 26 and I-94 in August so thats another factor possibly. I deliver to that store and word is the smaller stores in the complex have a clause that gets them out of their lease if they dont have an Anchor store in that complex. So its an interesting situation out there.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"m-59 & fisk rd., white lake, MI "

Huh. I don't know why this would be on any FJ list. It closed a couple years ago.

I worked at it in high school.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they were smart they'd keep the 7 and livernois FJ store and bail out of the 8 mile RO township Kroger location.

Trainman

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AA to Detroit rail fans wants a half percent Wayne County Sales tax. If this happens then the money will leave Wayne County and not Detroit. Businesses go where the taxes are the lowest.

Watch out when the Transportation Riders United and M.O.S.E.S campaign for a change in the state (not federal) constitution to allow County Sales taxes. If you DY'ers think Michigan has lost jobs, you have not seen anything yet. We will lose even more jobs. Our state and federal governments have no intention of supporting mass transit at all. Mass transit is supported by special interest groups and a few land speculators who just happen to own land along the railroad tracks. I know this and this is why I'm trainman.

We need strong leadership in Lansing to stop the loss of jobs. If we just stopped the job loss alone and took care of our existing transportation systems such as SMART, will would be Moving Forward just like what the Transportation Riders United saying. But, we lose SMART in Livonia, bus driver jobs and grocery store jobs and auto jobs. It's time for a change.

So, support my campaign of Bring Back SMART to Livonia and Southeast Michigan, Or, Vote NO next August 2010, to get the real leadership Michigan deserves.

Coming Soon.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and here's a thought, hire some damn loss prevention people if you (the store owner) is so concerned with theft. Ooops sorry that would prolly involve fair wages and benefits, that can't align too well with 21st century business ethics. It's gotta be cheaper to pay higher property taxes on a suburban location, and have minimally lower shop lifting occurrences.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is to bad Kroger did not buy the Farmer Jack at Jefferson and St. Jean.

I second that. It was nice seeing it around there.

Trainman

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmer Jack is leaving Detroit because of high taxes. And that's a proven fact that no one can dispute. Detroit has the highest taxes of any city in Michigan including the property tax. The SEMCOG solution is to spread out the tax burden by pushing for county and regional taxes as the cure for all our problems. Improved roads, parks, sewers and water and mass transit.

The SEMCOG transit vision is a fantasy that will never happen. A feel good elixir tax that will make everyone feel sooooo good. While our mass transit planners drive really big cars, milk the public like a bunch of cows and retire as multi-millionaires. They won't care when more jobs leave our state because they will retire in Alabama which has low taxes. It will be the next generation that will pay the real price for our failure to make mass transit work or fire our incompetent transit providers. No pain, No gain at the SEMCOG and MDOT meeting. Lots of colorful maps, free pop and cookies. Bon appétit

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder which Dearborn stores they are talking about. There are only 2 that I know of and both of them are within close proximity to existing Kroger stores.

I also wonder about the dearborn heights location. I imagine the Kroger will be the Large one on Ford Rd in the heights plaza, but what about the store in Dearborn Heights on Warren in Warrendale. It is not mentioned on either list. I guess I can assume that maybe a smaller chain will take that location...

Cambrian

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Detroit has high taxes, but a 30K sq ft store in Warren is worth about 50% more than the same size store in Detroit. The property taxes charged would not be more than what the Warren store pays.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4618
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, since Kroger is buying up the Grosse Pointe Woods Super Farmer Jack store, they will likely close their small Grosse Pointe Farms store just 1/2 mile down the road at Mack & Moross (which the Grosse Pointe Farms city government has been waiting on the lease to expire).

That will give the city of GPF the final piece of land they need for that huge 5-7 acre parcel of prime real estate (largest empty plot in the Grosse Pointes).

It will be real interesting to see what goes on that corner, kitty-corner from the huge St. John Medical Center/Pointe Plaza Shopping Center & Office Buildings.

That has to be the most prime parcel of commercial undeveloped real estate in all the Grosse Pointes, and directly across the street from Detroit.

Scs100

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. I forgot about that one, I just remembered the one on Marter off of Jefferson and the one in the Village. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger will now have five stores within a couple mile radius of each other in the GP/SCS/Harper Woods area -- 8 Mile and Harper, Nine and Mack, Marter and Jefferson, Moross and Mack and Vernier and Mack. My bet is that Moross and Mack and 8 Mile and Harper will soon close.

The Marter and Jefferson store is underoing a major expansion -- taking the space of the neighboring Rite Aid.

Scs100

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot Kercheval and Notre Dame. That just underwent an expansion as well.

Gistok

Post Number: 4619
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about the 8 Mile & Harper Kroger store closing (in Harper Woods, across the street from St. Clair Shores). It's huge and brand new, only about 2 years old (where the Cadillac Dealer used to be).

Perhaps Kroger will just monopolize the grocery business on the far eastside/eastern burbs.

After all with the Marter Rd. & Jefferson St. Clair Shores Kroger store expansion, it's rather surprising that they're buying the 9 Mile & Mack St. Clair Shores Farmer Jack store, which is not more than 3/4 of a mile away.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 20, 2007)

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been wondering the same thing about the SCS/GP stores all being in such close proximity. But I wouldn't call the 8 mile & Harper store "huge". In fact, it's quite a bit smaller than other Kroger stores in the area and parking is a pain!

Gistok

Post Number: 4620
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been inside it, but it looks huge from the Wendy's drive-thru next door! :-)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im glad something is planned for the Hazel Park store. Its the largest, most prominent store in the complex. Its also the closest chain store to me (the independent markets mark their prices considerably higher)so at least finding a store nearby is only going to be temporary, not to mention that the large building unit will soon enough be re-filled.

Why
Username: Why

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. It's peculiar that Kroger would be purchasing the FJ at 23000 Michigan Ave. in W. Dearborn considering they have a newer, larger, existing store across the street. CVS tried this "one in each direction" method in the same area and one quickly closed (and sits vacant to this day).

Kroger is right on the $$$ with this plan though. You can deal with theft/bullets while on the way to Detroit and theft/bullets on the way to Inkster. So glad I left.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you left, too! Thanks!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some acquisitions could be defensive--to preclude another grocery taking that location across the street, Kroger might buy out the FJ, and sell or lease the property to a developer for a different use.

Others may be short-term: perhaps the 9 & Mack location could sustain a Kroger presence in the area while Marter & Jefferson is fully closed to complete the remodeling/expansion more quickly than they could if the construction had to steer clear of customers.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Chesterfield...seems like the one by me is going to be empty. They already have an empty store right next to it. I got a Kroger right near where I live, I wonder whats going to be put in it's place.

_sj_

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kroger will now have five stores within a couple mile radius of each other in the GP/SCS/Harper Woods area -- 8 Mile and Harper, Nine and Mack, Marter and Jefferson, Moross and Mack and Vernier and Mack. My bet is that Moross and Mack and 8 Mile and Harper will soon close.

I have heard this, 8 mile/Harper, Marter/Jefferson stay open. Not sure about the FJ on 9 Mile, what the plan is, basically Kroger wanted the Liquor license and the prescriptions(was talk of just closing the location to eliminate. The Moross and Mack still will be closed and merged with the Mack and Vernier store.

The Marter/Jefferson store is not closing during renovations to the entire shopping district.

The one store was not for sale as GP was not going to renew the leases, remember Kroger did not buy really purchase anything other than the leases on the buildings.

Now remember this is all second hand info, but they have been right so far.

quote:

Oh and here's a thought, hire some damn loss prevention people if you (the store owner) is so concerned with theft. Ooops sorry that would prolly involve fair wages and benefits, that can't align too well with 21st century business ethics. It's gotta be cheaper to pay higher property taxes on a suburban location, and have minimally lower shop lifting occurrences.

Oh please, shop lifting was not even the half of the problems that went on in that store. No way they were going to be fooled twice.

Gistok

Post Number: 4629
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks _sj_!

Never underestimate the value of a liquor license!

I wonder if the city of SCS would like to get their hands on the 9 Mile/Mack store to expand their little "downtown" next door.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh please, shop lifting was not even the half of the problems that went on in that store. No way they were going to be fooled twice."

Excuses excuses, any thing to not have to do business in a town where the minorities are majority.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think in the Dearborn situation, where the FJ is across the street from the Kroger, that Kroger will just keep that store vacant insuring no competition. I can't imagine a scenario where they would want stores directly across from each other. With that FJ closed in west Dearborn, all's that will be left in that strip mall will be a coney island - everything else is gone. What a shame, they tore down a nice hotel and fine restaurant to build that mall....

_sj_

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Cambrian, but you are just full of Bullshit. Kroger spent a ton of cash building a new store hiring employees and watching the employees and the customer destroy it. The members of the so-called town are the only ones to blame.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was so excited to hear that the Hazel Park store is becoming a Kroger that I actually was cheering and clapping in the car when I heard it on WWJ yesterday! :-) I think this is a great thing for the city.

Doesn't take too much to make me happy. :-)

~Liza

Cambrian

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ I'm surprised you see nothing wrong with a company that elects to have nothing to do with the largest city in our state.

(Message edited by cambrian on June 21, 2007)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the FJ on E. Jefferson was my favorite place to shop. Excluding Harbortown Market because of their ridiculously high prices, where should I look to do my shopping now?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hollywood Market bought 3 of the stores. I wonder what will happen to the other 40~!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here's a link Genesyxx's source:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070621/UPDAT E/706210469

quote:

Hollywood Markets announced today it will buy Farmer Jack grocery stores in Madison Heights, Rochester Hills and Lake Orion.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

SJ I'm surprised you see nothing wrong with a company that elects to have nothing to do with the largest city in our state.

So why don't you and the other cheerleaders get together and pool your money and open a grocery store in the city? And then when you are forced to close because the high rate of product loss means you are operating at a net loss each month, don't come crying to us about it. If Krogers could make a profit by operating in Detroit, then they would. They only care about making a profit, your racist conspiracy theories that they would purposely shut out Detroit because they hate black people are as full of shit as you are.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! And I suppose all the people in Detroit's growing neighborhoods like CBD and Corktown would only come in once in awhile to buy twinkies. Like I said previously, concerned with thefts? hire some loss prevention people! cheap ass bastards!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, loss prevention people, why hasn't anyone else thought of that?!

You're a genius, really.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It works trust me! Kroger's knows it too.

_sj_

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they have them, they walked up and down the aisles, sit in the parking lot. Looking just like ordinary shoppers.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some years back wasn't a loss prevention person involved in a tussle with someone who died trying to steal $40 worth of meat at a grocery store on 8 mile?

I don't know what those LPP are paid, but you couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly it's a cost of doing business, I worked in stores for years, there are of course thefts in the Suburban locations too.

Surely the city's police and legal department would have to step up to the plate to assure timely response and prosecution of offenders.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Surely the city's police and legal department would have to step up to the plate to assure timely response and prosecution of offenders."

And when Detroit does that, Kroger (and residents..and other business...and casual visitors) will return to the CoD. Sadly, I dont think anyone sees the city stepping up anytime soon.

Why

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, the "loss prevention" person at a Kroger that I know of didn't just mix in with the crowd. He was always idling in a very "out of character" for the neighborhood type of car (like we drive those around here). I called the cops because I went to the store in the evening and it was sitting outside idling (very dark tinted windows - couldn't see inside). I had to go to the store in the morning and it was still there idling. I called the cops as I really thought somebody was dead inside. Nope, Mr. Loss Prevention was-------------asleep!

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A FJ employee at the SCS 9 Mile location several weeks ago had told us that they were "unofficially told" that Kroger was buying that location but had no plans to move to the location or open up an actual store there.

It's going to hurt when FJ closes. I went to the Harper/8 Mile Kroger this weekend for the first time since they first opened and was once again, totally underwhelmed by the bad selection, high prices, and the way the store was completely trashed out.

If the Marter/Jefferson location is anything like the Harper/8 Mile or the Mack/Moross location, Kroger would be smart to close Marter/Jefferson and open up in the old FJ on 9 Mile.

Someone should force Kroger to go study the inside of a Publix. There is a reason why Kroger crashed and burned in South and North Carolina.

Scs100

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If the Marter/Jefferson location is anything like the Harper/8 Mile or the Mack/Moross location, Kroger would be smart to close Marter/Jefferson and open up in the old FJ on 9 Mile.

It's not. I go there all the time and it is fine.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buschs is buying 10 Mile and Meadowbrook in Novi and the South Lyon store.

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Marter/Jefferson is definitely the best of the eastside Kroger locations. I avoid the 8 & Harper location like the plague b/c of the parking situation and the fact that it's constantly packed. The Mack/Moross location is beyond terrible.

I can't wait until Kroger opens up on Mack...I'm only a few blocks away & I despise going to the Kroger on Harper since there is nothing left on the shelves at FJ.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if there will be a close down period for them to re-vamp the stores? Or will they just do some changes in signage and keep on rolling? I would assume they would have to have some transition time - what would they do with all the employees? Send them to training or something?

~Liza

Cambrian

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be bad for business. Any period of time the store is closed would be an opportunity for customers to shop elsewhere, than Kroger or whomever runs the risk of not getting them back.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely agree - just wonder how in the world you do such a thing.

~Liza

Cambrian

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a transition. In the case of our store though I wonder if they are planning a redesign or new fixtures at least as they are blowing out all the frozen goods and dairy / meet products. Which makes me wonder if they are just trying to purge warehouse inventory, or do they plan to have that location closed for a period of time? Bacon was on special yesterday for $1.50 / pack.

_sj_

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that Krogers would place managers from other stores into the new FJ locations to keep things rolling smooth. I also do not see them closing, but it is possible. One of the backlashes of FJ was its theme and decor so maybe they do close it for major changes.

_sj_

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some more answers:

Kroger to update 19 Farmer Jacks in next couple of days

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070622/NEW S06/70622023

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Detroit or Southfield Stores going Kroger, Hmmmm.

I think it would have been a good PR move to keep one or two of the Detroit stores open. Right or Wrong Kroger will get perceived as anti-Detroit.

Professorscott

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger would care about that?

Why

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. Kroger would care about that? Really, would anybody care about being anti-Detroit? AGAIN, businesses are in business to make a profit and NOT to serve any governmental agendas.

Yvette248

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Companies don't decide to open a business because its a "good PR move". They open a business because they think/hope/believe it will be profitable. Show me the profit margins of these stores that you think Kroger "should" keep.

P.S. Kroger will place their own managers over the stores. Kroger has - and will continue - to hire some FJ managers after training them on their business models. They would be stupid not to.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 867
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a person who does third party merchandising in grocery stores for a living, I wonder if anyone has calculated the secondary loss of jobs that will be caused by the store closing? That is, the chip, soda, beer, bread, vendors and the like? Five major stores could account for one to three merchandisers/sales people/delivery drivers per company.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those that talk of profit, let's compare Union Lake or or Lake Orion Locations and look at population density. The Farmer jack at 7 and Livernois had lots more profit potential then the lake orion store would, or a comparable sprawl burb. Yet there seems to be more desire to stay in those areas then Detroit Proper...HMMMMM!

Yvette248

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are soooo many other factors that determines profitability other than population density. Take a business class and you will get a clearer understanding.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian - So by your insinuations throughout this thread you are saying that...
A publicly traded Cinnci based grocery store company actively engages in racist policies to not serve minority neighborhoods of Detroit. And they do this even though they are bypassing on profitable stores which would boost their salaries/bonuses and also the stock price (thus rewarding them further with stock grants/options etc).

Is that the message you are sending about Kroger? Because thats what it sounds like so far and seems quite bold.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As a person who does third party merchandising in grocery stores for a living, I wonder if anyone has calculated the secondary loss of jobs that will be caused by the store closing? That is, the chip, soda, beer, bread, vendors and the like? Five major stores could account for one to three merchandisers/sales people/delivery drivers per company."

I work for one of the larger bread companies and they are anticipating cutting 6 routes/jobs because of this move already. 2 have already taken place. 4 more to cut shortly.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busch's bought the South Lyon and Novi stores, saw it posted at work today.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Titancub, I agree with Cambrian's comments.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One successful independent Detroit grocery store owner said the chains don't have the flexiblity to ramp up staffing and inventory around the "bridge card" schedules; that's one factor why there are no grocery chains left in Detroit.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 873
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET aired a segment this week about grocery stores in Detroit.

There were a number of guests on the show discussing this situation, including a Kroger representative. The rep from Kroger would not directly answer any of the questions about their lack of investment in the city, but he explained that Kroger has a business model that works well in suburban areas, and has not worked well in most urban areas.

There are a number of valid reasons why the large scale grocery chains have failed in their recent attempts to operate stores in the city, and generally choose to avoid doing business in the city altogether.

The simple reason for the lack of chain grocery stores is that their business model does not work in urban areas.

All of the large scale grocery chains (Kroger, Meijer, Wal-Mart, etc.) operate on a low-margin, high-volume business model.

The vast majority of Americans decide where to purchase groceries based on price alone. Customer service, store location, and various other criteria that are very important to other retail and service businesses are relatively irrelevant in the large-scale grocery industry. Most Americans are willing to pay 5 to 10% more for things such as dry cleaning, haircuts, or party store purchases, just for better service or a closer location. This is not true for grocery store purchases.

Due to the expectations of American consumers for low grocery prices, the chain grocery stores are locked in a price war, resulting in very slim profit margins, and an industry-wide business model designed to minimize costs and maximize volume and efficiency.

This low-cost, high-volume, grocery store business model simply doesn't work in urban areas. The cost of purchasing and clearing a few acres in the city to make way for the store and parking lot is far higher than the cost of purchasing the same amount of land in the suburbs. The cost of taxes and insurance are also far higher in the city than they are in the suburbs. These extra costs that come with building and operating a grocery store in the city must result in higher prices, and the chain stores have found that many, if not most people will choose to drive to a store further away to get the lower prices.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oak Park, St. Clair, and Jefferson Ave/Detroit stores were added to the going out of business sale this morning. There may be some bargains there. Perhaps the attempts to find a buyer on these three stores fell through..

Cambrian

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to wonder about the taxes thing. If your store on, let's say Schaefer, is worth $450K you would be assessed taxes by the county based on that value. Agreed the city has it's own taxes that , let's say, St Clair Shores would not. But the store of the same square footage in St Clair Shores would be worth maybe 1.2 million. The taxes assessed by the Macomb County would be way more then what Wayne County would charge simply based on property value. And that "way more" would for sure exceed the cost of extra insurance for a high crime area, or perceivably the additional loss from thefts, since I'm sure we can agree thefts occur in Suburban locations as well. Meaning it is a problem that has to be dealt with there, so they should know how to deal with it in a city setting.

I'm glad that Kroger stepped up and purchased the quantity of stores they did preserving the livelihoods of so many. I just don't think we should be letting them off the hook so easily for turning thier back on the city.

(Message edited by cambrian on June 24, 2007)

Frumoasa

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very shocked and disappointed that nobody has stepped up for the Southfield Rd. location north of 12 mile. It serves a rather middle class to affluent community (northern Southfield and Beverly Hills), is large, has a bakery, fresh fish, deli and separate kosher meat department. And I have to assume it is no less profitable than their smaller Krogers at 12 mile and Evergreen. I don't like Hiller's in Berkley or Save-A-Lot on Greenfield, but seeing Kroger's abandonment of the city and western inner ring suburbs makes me not want to shop there.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRIVIA QUESTION-
In 1956,what famous former Detroiter played Krogo the Clown, mascot for Kroger and host of Sheena, Queen of the Jungle on WJBK-TV 2?

clown

jungle

No fair Googling!

Gistok

Post Number: 4661
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frumosa, didn't you just say that they have a Krogers store at 12 Mile and Evergreen?

So how do you equate that to abandoning the western inner ring suburbs?

The only reason they bought one of the ones in St. Clair Shores (9 Mile & Greater Mack) is for the liquor license. That store will soon find another retailer. And besides it's within a mile of another Kroger.... as is the one you just complained about at 12 & Southfield!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 868
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushay....
.....thank you. When a store or business closes, people only think of the job loss in store, not realising that other people are hit by the closing. My wife and I do coupon machines and J-hooks, among other things....

Ed...
....the Ferndale Farmer Jacks at 9 Mile and Planavon used to be a Food Fair that was built back in the dark ages, with narrow aisles, et.al. I have memories of my mother shopping with my Aunt Pat, who would on occasion sing the "Farmer Jacks Wide Aisle" song loudly (but with good voice) when one would be blocked by A shopping cart....

Cambrian

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick
Casey Kasem?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 683
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup!

Professorscott

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik,

So let me get this straight: Kroger has stores, several of them, in the city of Cincinnati, but no stores in the city of Detroit.

So "This low-cost, high-volume, grocery store business model simply doesn't work in urban areas", but it works in Cincinnati, so Cincinnati is not an urban area. And the inner ring suburbs of Detroit, which are densely populated but mostly by white people (of which I am one) are also not urban areas.

My bullshit meter is about to pop a fuse - sorry - have to go fix it.

Yvette248

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of corrections:

1. It's not an anti-black thing. Anyone who has shopped at a Kroger in Warren/Dearborn/Southfield already knows that those stores are significantly black (oh, wait, excuse me..... "urban").

2. The truth is, running an urban store is very difficult - whether it is Cincinnati, Columbus, Flint or Detroit. Kroger does operate a few stores in urban areas and trust me - they are very marginal operations. Everything from high theft (employee and customer) to high spoilage to management and staffing makes it difficult to manage these stores.

The independent retailers make up for these drawbacks by charging higher prices. Kroger can't charge one price for green beans in Detroit and another price in Wyandotte, so its a money losing operation to them - regardless of "population density".

Frumoasa

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: The 12 and Evergreen store is inferior in every way. It is smaller, with poorer selection, and the fresh food like the bakery and meat department are significantly reduced. They are offering us less selection in an inferior store as their compromise to this region. If they are going to leave us with small, antiquated stores instead of maintaining or improving the grocery selection we have in the area, I consider it a very poor compromise. That is why I consider it abandonment. They are closing respectable stores to leave us with cheaper, smaller and inferior stores that are supposed to take over. There's a reason I do not shop at the 12 and Evergreen store, although it is geographically equidistant.

_sj_

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if the people would not have robbed the store of its products, decorations, etc. Even the AC and Refridgeration units maybe they might have thought about it instead of closing with in one year.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many stores have closed in Madison Heights thanks to theft? In my local paper I'm always reading about another shop lifting at the Kmarts or Best Buy on John R, or the Meijers on 13 mile.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How many stores have closed in Madison Heights thanks to theft? In my local paper I'm always reading about another shop lifting at the Kmarts or Best Buy on John R, or the Meijers on 13 mile."

First off what is your definition of always?
Secondly unless you're looking at a individual stores books in reference to how much merchandize is being lifted you really can't come to any conclusions based on crime reports in a local paper. I'm sure there's not a store in the area that doesn't have a theft problem to some extent.
It's just a question of how much they can tolerate and still make enough of a profit.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Always" is weekly. My local paper is the C&G free one that comes out once per week and it has a crime report section. The ones that get into the paper are just the incidences where the police are called. So we can assume the actual number is quite higher. C&G has papers in many other suburban communities. Perhaps some one else can share some of thier city's info regarding retail fraud?

Thunderball
Username: Thunderball

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The independent retailers make up for these drawbacks by charging higher prices. Kroger can't charge one price for green beans in Detroit and another price in Wyandotte, so its a money losing operation to them - regardless of "population density"."

Why couldn't they? It's called 'price discrimation' and it's not illegal (at least nationally & internationally), it's even a common practice in some industries. Is it impractical, or it is illegal within the state or with certain industries?

Don't I know you from winter semester at WSU, Cambrian?

Why

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News headline in upcoming months......."NO FOOD AVAILABLE IN DETROIT -National Guard called to quell unrest in Dearborn, Ferndale, Grosse Pointe & Lincoln Park". So glad I left.

Why

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News headline in upcoming months......."NO FOOD AVAILABLE IN DETROIT -National Guard called to quell unrest in Dearborn, Ferndale, Grosse Pointe & Lincoln Park". So glad I left.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote "So glad I left."

Why do you keep chanting this at the end of every post? You left and happier where you are? Great! Somehow I think your repeated mentioning it is not to let us know you're glad you left, you're trying to convince yourself you're glad you left. You'll be back. Detroit is in your blood. No other place will ever be truly home because of it.

I speak from experience, I left for 14 years, I came back. All the while I was gone I told everyone how much I disliked Detroit. I never could convince myself of that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.