Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Kroger to hire 3,000 workers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article on Kroger moving to take over Farmer Jack stores.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070620/B IZ/706200373

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still hoping the Hazel Park store becomes a Kroger!!!

~Liza

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many of those hires will be existing farmer jack employees? And will these be full time jobs with bennies? Or the type of crap they did back when I worked for them in 1988, no more then 28 hours per week so as to avoid paying medical insurance.

Yvette248

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they are working that out with the union. The same union covers Kroger and FJ employees.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hired in as experienced(6 months) I doubt they are going to keep their same wages or seniority.

I would expect these workers to fill in the at the stores where they take experienced Kroger employees to start the new stores.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6083
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope Krogers buy the Farmer Jack at Lincoln Park area.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0620/REG/70620010/-1/newslette r05

Kroger is buying 20 stores, but NONE of them in the city.

Yvette248

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like you're going to get your wish Lizanne....

The Farmer Jack stores included in the sale agreement are located in the following cities in Michigan: Birmingham, Dearborn Heights, Dearborn (2 locations), Northville, Hartland Township, St. Clair Shores, Hazel Park, Troy (3 locations), Sterling Heights, Algonac, Grosse Pointe, Roseville, Westland (2 locations), Brownstown Township, Romeo, and Imlay City.

Yvette248

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Hollywood Market is just gained fantastic PR from being a good corporate citizen!

"Hollywood will hire about 180 workers to staff its three new stores. Hollywood President William Welch said today he hopes most of those are current Farmer Jack employees. "We're a union shop as well, so they'd be able to carry over their health care and retirement," Welch said. "We've worked closely with the union since 1959." Welch said he plans to take into consideration employees' time of service at Farmer Jack to determine vacation and other benefits."

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've always been a strong union shop.

I made $5/hr bagging groceries there and over $8 as a cashier.

That must be why so many people who I started with when I was 16 still work there...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They've always been a strong union shop. "

Glad to hear some one respects workers rights.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking to one of the cashiers at the Grosse Pointe Farmer Jack and she said that any FJ employee who wanted to work for Kroger would have to re-apply for their position. Meaning, if they got to keep their jobs, they might not make the same money. It seems like the 3,000 "new jobs" are really just the rehires of people who are already working for Farmer Jack, rather than the great boost to local economy line that Kroger seems to be running.

Yvette248

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only "some" FJ employees will be rehired at Kroger. So in that light, there are many people who stand a good chance of getting a "new" job. But yeah, the 3,000 jobs is just a good headline.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5473
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that a lot of those people when they do get re-hired will lose out on some of that seniority and the benefits that came with the time spent. I've also heard that Hollywood Market will also take a few of the FJs as well.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's hope Krogers buy the Farmer Jack at Lincoln Park area.

Not Kroger, but rumors are that an independent buyer will take over the Farmer Jack on Southfield.

_sj_

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's too bad that a lot of those people when they do get re-hired will lose out on some of that seniority and the benefits that came with the time spent. I've also heard that Hollywood Market will also take a few of the FJs as well.

Really though why should those employees keep their seniority over long time Kroger employees. Those Kroger employees would then be pissed becuase the new comers could bump them out of a job, and you can believe that Krogers is going to keep a close eye on FJ employees who have been rumored to be very poor in job relations and communications.

BTW, 20 stores at about 100-200 employees would equal around 3,000 jobs, so the headline is correct.

Also while their were under the same union they did not have the same contract, in Krogers has always had the better contract. So in essence employees from Farmer Jacks would also get multiple raises. Not going to happen, they are all going to come in as experienced employees, but no where near their current wages.

(Message edited by _sj_ on June 22, 2007)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hollywood has bought three of the Farmer Jacks, in Rochester, Mad Heights and Lake Orion I believe. Hollywood workers are covered under the same union, and the owner of Hollywood said all Farmer Jack employees would thus keep their pensions and benefits. He said they'd also accept years of service to Farmer Jack in calculating their vacations, etc.

_sj_

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are on a Smaller scale. Kroger is going to protect their workers from job bumps, but all FJ employees are keeping their pensions anyways. That had nothing to do with the closing, that was already taken care of.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant, ongoing pensions ...their pensions will continue, the FJ employees picked up by Hollywood. Of course the pensions won't go away, but they'll stop accruing if they get other jobs that aren't covered by the same union.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you people realize what this whole subject is about? $6-10 an hour! Do you wonder why your $250,000 piece of "real estate" is now worth $80,000 IF there's a buyer qualified to purchase it outside of the sub-prime mortgage market?

Yvette248

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, please don't post without knowing what you are talking about. None of the long-term FJ or Kroger workers (i.e. the ones that qualify for a pension) are making anything even near $6 an hour.

Why

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, I believe our lawmakers need to respond to this cultural dilemma by instituting something similar to the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" policy at the stores. When the victim arrives at the hospital, along with 20-30 relatives and witnesses (again, seems to be a cultural thing) and NOBODY, including the victim, saw anything, knows nothing and doesn't know the victims name, address, phone number - NO SERVICE. Buh, bye. Simple as that. Should relieve a major burden on our taxes and health care problems.

Why

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, pasted that to the wrong thread obviously.

Point is Dear Yvette, they WILL be making $6-10 an hour. Wake up girfriend.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So one of my managers at LP Kroger is moving to one of the new ones in Troy this week (tomorrow's his last day at LP), and he'll be "hiring a whole new crew in a week and a half", so I guess that store is not going to retain its FJ employees. :-/

Also, a lot of the existing Krogers are going to be hiring as well. One of the policies Kroger has is that in order to become a full time employee, you have to transfer to another store. So they are taking advantages of the bids taking place at these stores.

Also, a lot of existing Kroger employees are transferring to stores closer to their homes. At the LP store, 3 of the 7 people in my department are leaving either to look for a fulltime position or to be closer to home. So I guess you can look forward to that as well.

Yvette248

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, the latest story is:

Kroger is in the enviable position of being able to cherry pick the best FJ employees and managers. Employees with longevity will have to take a "small" pay cut while completing their probationary period at Kroger. They will not lose their seniority or benefits.

Store managers who are hired will also be retained at "similar" positions and benefits. Additional "new" management positions are also being created. That sounds pretty fair.

(Message edited by yvette248 on June 29, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.