Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cheesiest Local Commercials « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wondering some of your favs past or present mine are

Mama Rosa's Pizza and Ace Diamond Jewelers

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 640
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really local, but if anyone from the Lansing/Jackson area has seen the "Rose City Motors" commericals...well, you know exactly what I mean.

For those of you that have not seen them, you are really missing out.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know those

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More "classic" than cheesy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kKQ cZYTZVmI

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rip Hamilton's Rahmani Laser Eye Institute commercial...

the guy sounds like an idiot reading off that cue card..." I ad-mit it. I was a lit-tle nervous about la-ser eye surgery..."

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4528
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansons Windows has the cheesiest song that's for sure. Rock financial also has a BAD song. Sounds like the band is a bunch of washed up

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 945
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mr.Roof commercials with Evil Knievel and/or Alan Trammell

Chitaku

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mel Farr's commercials

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on Rose City Motors. Another infamous Lansing advertiser is Sundance Chevrolet. "We want to deal on an automobile! Look us up in the Wheeler Dealer! Come on down to Sundance, we'll save you money!"

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the old Mr. Belvedere commercials...the worst. "Remember.....WE DO GOOD WORK!"

Detroitstar

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sundance is the greatest car dealership I've ever been too...but you are right, their advertising is just TERRIBLE.

now back to Detroit stuff...

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attorney Carl Collins....HE IS GOOD!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Buff Whelan commercials they started showing recently are the same ones from 30+ years ago.

"......loyal and beloved secretary Wanda Simone."

Ookpik

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember one a couple of years ago that featured Doris Biscoe as spokeswoman for some place that did plastic surgery. In one of the "testimonials", one woman was showing off her body saying something like "now I can say I look better than the woman he left me for" or something along those lines. Cheesy as all hell, but I always got a good laugh whenever I saw it.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oldsmobile dealer who claimed "Nooooooobody beats my deals"

Joshua Doore furniture--"you got an uncle in the furniture business"

Penway TV repair "ushem,ushem, zero,zero"

Any Dave Lennox furnace ad with some hapless HVAC business owner reading a cue card

Any local business that puts their kids or grandkids on TV to blunder through a simple line

(Message edited by 56packman on June 07, 2007)

Jit
Username: Jit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not saying this is cheesy. it's pretty much in a class of its own...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LcO Nhxo3K2k

(Message edited by jit on June 08, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5361
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Racicot Car ads beng shown on channel 9 are pretty bad.

And some of those old Lovers Lane ads where the mom shuffles off her kid and chooses lingerie for a night of hot sauciness with her husband were pretty schlocky.

Mel Farr's cape should be torched as well.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything with Bill Bonds.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the place is called Happy's Pizza, but the remaining members of the Four Tops are singing the jingle. Sure is a far cry from Ed Sullivan or the Roostertail. Then again, they worked for Berry Gordy so that could explain a few things.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... When you're hungry and you need some real good food... shout out to Happy...'cuz it's all good... it's Happy... Happy's Pizza

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can you guys forget those DOC commercials with Richard Golden dancing?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me clear my throat so I can sing this one for you...

<ahem>

You've gotta have art, all you really need is art. When the little things in life make you low, you outta see Van Gogh and take heart.....
first you gotta have art!

I'm surprised I still remember that. Actually, the hell with cheesy. It was one of the best ad campaigns I've seen.

Runners up: Joshua Doore, Mr. Belvedere and Mel Farr, the superstar, for a Farr better deal!

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhhhh Gene Marolis - oh what a great great guy, he'll save you money, on that Chevy buy!

hehehe

~Liza

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. We're the Charles Kent Reever Companty. Just dial diamond...DIA MOND.

2. The Windsor ads for either car dealers or lighting shops.

3. Aardvark Computer Repair. Don't forget the double a... or the animated tongue.

4. The Vernor's ad with Petr Klima. If I get lost, I tell people I live here (pointing to hand as if it was the mitten map). The interpreter then moves his finger from Grand Rapids to Detroit.

Thanks for the link to the Highland Appliance ad. Fifty watts per channel, babycakes.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 863
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with the Racicot ads. The Lighting Boutique (remember the guy with the lamp inside the fridge?) have also been incredibly cheesy.

Of course there is the "Here dog, common dog, me and dog want you to go to telegraph rd , right now , get a good deal" commercials....

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Radio City Rockette christmas show at the Fox had the same commercial every year.

Also the Wayne State ads from the late 90's... I still remember the song...

"You want to live life to it's fullest, go as far as you can go. At Wayne State University, get all you need to know!"

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I almost forgot...

Call SAM!

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ollie Fretter had some pretty bad ones too.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doctor Donald L Golden - Optometrist, Director

Couldn't stand them then, can't stand the son's commercials now. :-P

~Liza

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Art Van commercials with Gordie dancing, and other silly songs

Some of the Little Caesar's hot-n-ready ads

Tayshaun Prince in the Wallside ads - "I can do that because I'm a pro. They can do that because they ARE the factory."

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An old channel 20 mainstay:

Jock itch, ringworm, pseriosis, tetter and removes corns and calosses. BLUE STAR OINTMENT, the one that's guaranteed! Ask for it!!!!

Or

"I like Dy-Dee Diapers!"

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey dog, come on dog, gonna go to Telegraph Road, right now, Get a good deal!"
I can't even remember what that was for - was it a Ford commercial?

Sirrealone

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or remember the Little Caesars commercial in the 90's where the family (including the poodle) was doing a line dance through their house? Had nothing to do with pizza but it cracked me up every time.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Train your brain at WC3....educate.. stimulate.... train your brain at wC3

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howard's Discount Jewelry Store.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jtw,
I think it was for Ray Whitfield Ford

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my absolute favorite was the radio jingle for some dealership on telegraph.

"Me-n-dog want you to go to te-le-graph rooooooaaaaddd....right noooooooowwww....get a good deaaaaall!"

"Woof!"

Remember that?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Kwame Kilpatrick first got elected there were a few radio spots on the hip hop stations for night clubs saying "Yo, come party with the mayor this Friday night at [insert club]"...

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodrow W Woody. Goodbye, so long, see ya soon.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get on the right track, to Nine Mile and Mack.
Roy O'Brien cars and trucks make your money back.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of the current Majic Windows ads. The mannequin? The guy who brings home the plaster dog . . . and the kid drags it thru the snow? Not funny. Not effective. Just . . . awkward. Oh, and Mort Crim, too.

Fredgarvin

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crazy Lady! Crazy Lady panty hose? I love 'em, I buy 'em..............

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG - how many of us recited the line from that Highland appliance one...."50 watts per channel, babycakes"????

Empire carpet and floors - jingle stuck in my head all the time....replaces the Roy O'Brien, and the Telegraph road one.

The cheesiest commercials on air on - IMO - Little Caesars. Okay, and Hansons too, with less than peppy jingle singers...sounds like he pulled some of the production staff tothe mic after a long hard day.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Magic Window and Victory Honda and the Lew Silver Diamond commercial takes the cake. OH, don't forget the one about the lady and the Cockroach (LMAO!).

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockin' Rick Hodges at Victory Honda for sure.

"Come on down follksh"

I want to punch that guy in the face.

(Message edited by blessyouboys on June 08, 2007)

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate that Rockettes commercial with a passion too. I'm not sure why. What about the exterminator commercial that shows a man in drag ironing to the tune of Harry Belefonte's "Daylights a comin" and I want to go home?" That cracks me up every time. It's so nonsensical but it gets your attention.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'What about the exterminator commercial that shows a man in drag ironing to the tune of Harry Belefonte's "Daylights a comin" and I want to go home?"'

That's the one I was trying to put out there. It's Harris Pest Control.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ewo, I was just telling someone about those Fretter commercials at work.

Oops! Ollie overbought!! :-)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) ABC Warehouse. Gordie so wants to be the next Ollie Fretter. I think he succeeded. Worst are the ones on the radio with the sidekick announcer making smarmy comments.

2) Does anyone remember the TV ad from the 70's for the auto dealership with the 30-something guy wearing a diaper? He was trying to show that although they were "new" in the business, they would still offer the best deal-or something like that. The ad got pulled after complaints about bad taste.

Even though these commercials are so bad, we remember them years later and often remember the products/businesses they were pitching. So who are the real suckers?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The diamond phone number comes to mind instantly. Somebody already got it, but if you didn't hear it, you have to imagine that it's being recited by somebody who has been hypnotized. DEE-EYE-AIY ... EMM-OH-ENDEEE.

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the 30-something guy wearing a diaper--LOL. I don't remember it but it sure sounds kinky!

I also hate the radio ad they play on 97.1 for the Findlay Law Hour program. The announcer has such a dweeby, whiny little voice. Hire a voice-over person, already!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always liked

- Mister Allens Shoes "one for 30 two for 45" or whatever

- Mel Far Super Star Used Cars Ads were always unintentionally hilarious

- Garnder White Furniture "we're known by the money you keep" - most awkward waving hand in the history of television.

Islandman

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lawyer dressed in drag yet. Came up in another thread a while ago. That's a relatively new one compared to most of these. It's quite an attention grabber at 3AM. :-)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9365
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Highland Applicance or Fretter that had the kid playing music on a reel to reel so that his mom thought he was practicing piano then he snuck out the window to throw a football with his friend.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Appliance for the reel-to-reel kid, I do believe.
How 'bout the "lineup" of out-of-shape Chevy dealers dressed in Detroit Tiger uniforms in the early 70s. The only line I remember from the jingle is "it's a hit Fred Murphy, atta boy!"

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local ads for Gilbert's restaurant in St. Clair Shores. The guy looks as if he needs to massage his heart to get it going and he's talking about getting some kind of burger.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JTW, Gotta second that Tayshuan/Wallside window commercial, I mean come on how hard can those lines be? I live out of town so dont get to see some of the classics Im sure!

Mizmotown
Username: Mizmotown

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old Little Ceaser's commercials even before "avoid the noid"...Earl Shibe...The Scene...Mel Farr Super Star...Faygo...Ferrell's...How ard's Discount Jewelry

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo:

Orange, Root Beer, Grape, Very Cherry, Cola, Lemon Lime, Fruit Punch, Rock n Rye, and Red Pop.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love hockey season on CBC so I can watch the Racicot Chrysler commercials. I'm getting darn sick of the Comerica Entrepreneur commercials that seem to be on every Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons commercial break for the past 2 years!!!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the "Noid" a Domino's Pizzas ad character, not a Little Caesar's character?

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Get on the right track, to Nine Mile and Mack.
Roy O'Brien cars and trucks make your money back.

...Roy O'Brien's got 'em buyin' and buyin'
They come from many miles away.
So save yourself a lot of dollars, dollars,
By driving out his way today!

Roy O'Brien has the best deals by far!

Jaj
Username: Jaj

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Racicot ads... just bad Leo
2. Richard Golden hall-of-fame schmuck and
his s-e-x-y specs & nerdy dancing
3. ABC Warehouse ads yuck !! Gordie
4. Hanson's windows..is this guy narcississtic or what???
5. Mr Alans shoes .... what did he say???
6. any of those after 11 pm ads.. find a friend,date or just talk...?? cmon what are u selling??
7.and the ones on radio for Erhard BMW .. I'd
understand him better if he did it in German!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5365
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crazy Clarence

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was the actor in the King Auto Sales ads in the late '60's and early '70's? I know he came from an improv group that was popular in the Detroit area around that time....

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderland Music midnight madness sales commercials. With the big doofus in his masked marvel get-up.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one that really makes me angry now is the construction guy with the dozen or so children. He has a beard and glasses, so of course, all of the kids have glasses and fake beards.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old number 91 Nike ads
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z10 ZFSQ6Q-g

Showtime Clothing in Detroit
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pzd Id1XgczE

Detroit Party Line (classic!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7UW 6lJL2YmI

Al's Rosedale Cafe (slap yo momma)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vuz OwyGnSsU

Harris Pest Control (my WTF Winner)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LcO Nhxo3K2k

and the list goes on....
http://youtube.com/results?sea rch_type=search_videos&search_ query=detroit%20commercial&sea rch_sort=relevance&search_cate gory=0&page=1

Upinottawa

Post Number: 865
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best (well, worst) Leo Racicot commercials were those where he was dressed in a tux dancing to "Leo's got the moves".

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the Carl Collins....HE IS GOOD is my winner.

Also the rent-way commercial where they are dancing to we are family is possibly the gayest commercial ever. Wish I had a vid of it.

Any Little Caesars commercial. Talk about God awful. They're not even funny. Soccer moms think they are I'm sure.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5375
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago Little Caesars commercials WERE funny. Some of them were even major advertising award winners.

And then for some reason, the quality of the commercials took a dive and are now boring drab Dad+mom+2.5 kids spots. They're devoid of humor and are barely even memorable.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 659
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much any channel 62 commercial from back in the day.

Nu Mrk Roach Spray- "Girl, I was in their house and the roaches was everywhere!"

Watts Club Mozambique- Ladies night with Discount Paul and The Caresser.

Colonial Merchandise Mart with Honest Hank.

Miley and Miley Shrimp Shack. The food that they showed in the commercials was the most unappetising food I've ever seen. Looked like deep-fried tumors.

Wesley Barrie Florist with that annoying bee. "Wesley Barrie wants to BEE your florist!"

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dietrich Furs. In their day were hot, later years they had that grainy, cheesy look of bad porn.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Another vote for "Attunney Carl Collins...He is GOOD". Carl looks like a cardboard cutout sitting next to his "clients",probably his grandparents and other family members.
2. ANY commercial, radio or TV, where they're too cheap to hire a real announcer. You can't understand half of what they're saying. I still don't know what the guy's name is who does the Crest Lincoln Mercury ads (like we care anyway).
3. Mr. Pita. What is she saying? She talks so fast, they have to print the words underneath. Probably the owner's daughter or sister-in-law.

Dtrain
Username: Dtrain

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insane Eddie's "Our Prices are Innnnsaaaaneee!"

Father and Son "No job's to big, No job's too small"

The McDonald's commercials with Marty Castillo when they gave away Detroit Tiger's Glasses after the 84 World Series win. "There's Lance Parrish and Alan Trammell, but no Marty Castillo"

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 946
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ishia Thomas for DTE.

Alway's look up! (or whatever the line was)

Oh Ishia!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FUBU, Pelle Pelle, Twenna nigh, two fo' fitty! MISTA ALAN.

Good old Howard. "HO HO HOWARD!" I went to Howard's not too long ago and asked about him. He's still around, but I guess he hates those commercials.

Those suburban motors commercials with that ANNOYING fake as hell salesman that are tailored by day and time. "Hey guys, hoping you're having a great Thursday night. Dan Whatshisass here, wanna tell you about the great deals you can get here at Suburban of Waterford"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crazy Clarence!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Old Fretter Appliance commercials with Ollie Fretter-"I'll give you 5 pounds of coffee" if I can't beat your best deal! "
Many of those were hilarious.
The old adds for Belvedere Construction too
"You'll look at it ,love it & take your time paying for it!" "Have no fear with Belvedere!"

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Faygo commercial with Alex Karras eating a greasy slice of pizza touting the benefits of diet Faygo?
That was before he went Hollywood.

Islandman

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harris Pest Control was the one I was thinking of. That is insane!

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 611
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking I was thousands of miles away, and safe from his reach after 20+ years in Florida, one day, I see the infamous Dr. Donald L. Golden's prodigal, but obnoxious son doing the "Sexy Specs" ad. And also rapping.

That is is wrong on so many levels.
So many!

Loved that Penway TV ad... Oshem Oshem, Zero Zero, lol.

And the "Noooobody" creepy Olds guy.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on June 09, 2007)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were done in a format common to many markets, but the Dragway radio commercials were awesome in their intensity.

VOICE 1:"NITRO-BURNING FUNNY CARS!!"
VOICE2: "ART ARFON'S GREEN MONSTER!!"
VOICE1:"DON, THE SNAKE PRUDHOME!!"
BOTH VOICES: "SUNDAY!!!!"

hahha! they sounded like their heads were going to come off.
Good stuff.
http://www.keener13.com/spots/ Spots%20Motor%20City%20Dragway %2067.mp3

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 614
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.keener13.com/spots/ Spots%20Detroit%20Dragway%2064 .mp3

Ed_golick

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recorded at Keener by Robin Seymour and Rube Weiss.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5383
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raggedclaws...good one about the Dietrich Fur ads. There's nothing that makes me want to go out and buy a fur coat more so than watching a lady draped in a fur coat riding a horse in three feet deep snow or a bunch of ladies skiing down a ski slope wearing fur. I'm there!

Jeffery47
Username: Jeffery47

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Appliance or Fretter.

I miss a few other Highland commercials:

The one for Thanksgiving, where the Pilgrims meet the Indians and they offer to have a big feast. The Indians say - what about Wednesday? We have pizza, beer, munchies. The Pilgrims say that day is bad for them, how about Thursday? The Indian says, well, we just usually have turkey. Priceless.

The Electronic Thing zombie commercial. Cheesy and a parody too.

I also like the Washington crossing the Delaware commercial for Presidents Day.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Detroit Zoo commerical?

My Lines My Lines, I can't remember my lines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oQr548olzOo

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All the animals in the Zoo are jumping up and down for you.
Asking you to be sure to plan, a day at the Zoo, as soon as you can!"
"With storybooks that really talk, you turn on with a key..
Tell fascinating facts about the animals you see."
"Storybooks and Zoo Keys, together guide you through."
"A world of new excitement, awaits you at the Zoo"

=)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 666
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry,
One of my favorites! I've been trying to track that one down for years.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of the above commercials were done by Doner.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4507
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... thinking about that Little Caesars commercial with all the folks doing the Conga line with the white Poodle at the rear of the line...

Favorite fake commercial was from Canada's SCTV comedy show in the 1980's... "come on down to Tex and Edna Boil's PRAIRIE FEED WAREHOUSE AND CURIO EMPORIUM"!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, Edna.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4508
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edna looked like Iola Boylen, the prissy neighbor on Mama's Family.

Edna was played by funny Andrea Martin, who was most recently famous for the talkative Greek Aunt in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great list, guys! :-)

"James Martin Chevrolet Buick, at Woodward and the Boulevard... WOODWARD AND THE BOULEVARD!"
I've had that song in my head for weeks.

"No job's too big! No job's too small! We're Father and Son. Give us a call!"

Darnit! I can't think of any real good ones! >.<

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Circa early 70's;;
The worst strumming-guitar chick, ever:

"Here's the Magic Number...keep it by your side..Belvedere Construction...they are known both far and wide.

For the best in Home Improvement..they're known throughout the state...Call Tyler 8 -7 1 00, for a Home Improvement Date.."

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory: Let me clear my throat so I can sing this one for you...

<ahem>

You've gotta have art, all you really need is art. When the little things in life make you low, you outta see Van Gogh and take heart.....
first you gotta have art! "

Dangit, now ya got me singing it..

"A Great Museum..look what we've got..
A Great Theatre...Look what we've got..
.films, food artists and art..Yeah!

*Forum Breaks into cheesy 5 6 7 8 Roy Scheider metaphors*

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on June 11, 2007)

56packman

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raggedclaws--thanks for brining up Dietrich Furs--I've gone off about their adds before, forgot this time around. The Dietrich adds feature those 70's babes with the Farrah Fawcett 'Do, riding horses or skiing while wearing full length furs, accompanied by Ron Burgandy jazz flute /w cheesy vocals. They trot those commercials out every Christmas.

(Message edited by 56packman on June 11, 2007)

Mallory

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Larryinflorida, I just blanked on the first two lines of the other verse...

A great ???, look what we've got.
A great ???, look what we've got.
A great Rodin, look what we've got.
Films, food, puppets and shops, YEAH!

Anyone remember?

Mallory in Naples, Florida...

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

institute of the arts

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOooooh! Even today - 2 dacades + later - the Highland commercial plays a huge part in my life. No one around me but me and my brother knows what, "oooOOOooo! Feefty waaatts!" even means. When my then future husband and I met, I took his hand in mine and in my sweetest voice, I said, "Fifty watts per channel, Babycakes." and not even knowing what it meant, he roared with laughter. We've been together ever since. I guess I owe the best part of my life to those crazy fake Russians. LOL!

(Message edited by savannahsmiles on June 11, 2007)

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh!!! I haven't thought about these commercials in years. Thanks you Hardliner and Raptor for the Zoo and Faygo commercials. First I laughed, then I shed a tear or two for the fond memories. What a great site this is.

56packman

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: the great Highland appliance commercials--were they perhaps produced by a major agency and offered in different markets to local chains?
I have seen that done in other businesses, they buy the finished product (which is better than they could afford going at it alone) and the local identity of the store is kept to the beginning and end, and easily inserted/changed.
The late Jim Varney (Ernest--D'yaknowwhhutImean)
made an industry out of doing just that. He even shot the commercials at his house. It was a near zero-overhead operation, he wrote and performed the pieces, just needed to hire out the techies and their hardware.

(Message edited by 56packman on June 12, 2007)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 packman- that was Bill Rowan Olds, "Nobody beats my best deals, nooooobody!", iirc.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Racicot CDJ takes my top pick. Lately it's been those damn Little Caesars ads. If those aren't cheesy, I'm not sure what is.

Cdent
Username: Cdent

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, maybe not the worse, but if you know the words sing along... ( takes place on one of the old boblo boats.....

Comic books and rubber bands
Climb into the tree top
Falling down and holding hands
Tricycles and Redpop
Pony rides and Sunday nights
Roller skates and snowball fights
Climbin' through the window
Remember when you were a kid?
Well, part of you still is
And that's why we make Faygo
Faygo remembers
Flying kites and funny shoes
Easter eggs with speckles
ABCs and counting by twos
Washing off the freckles
Kissing a hurt to make it stop
Startin' school in September
So many things you almost forgot
Tryin' to remember
Remember when you were a kid?
Well, part of you still is
And that's why we make Faygo

why do i store all this useless garbage in my head ?

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asking others who store the same garbage isn't gonna reveal much.

I'm wondering the same thing.
I could use the xtra hard drive space.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"$9.99... Are you out of your mind? Chernin's shoe outlet. Chernin's shoe outlet."

"FOOOOOORMAAAAN MILLLSSSS!"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Robinson is your furniture store! THANK YOU UNCA ROBINSON!

You can find it at Newton Furniture, Newton has it for your home!

56packman

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge--the Uncle Robinson "you got an uncle......." ads are a parody/ripoff of the Joshua Doore ads from the early 70's (see my post #1406 above)

The Newton jingle was the WORST--they played that on WQRS often and today I get a visual image of the band teacher/choir director couple played on SNL by Will Ferrell and Anna Gastiner "the Culps" singing that jingle.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "Birminghaaaaaam's in Trooooooy!"

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only person who remembers this coming out of the AM radio in my parents' `64 Vista Cruiser:

You can help your state
If you donate
To the nineteen-sixty-eight
Olympics

This from the failed attempt to lure the Olympics to Detroit. My apologies if you can't get this one out of your head after it lay dormant for 40 years.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come one..Come All..to Expo '67 Montreal"

did we?

Sirrealone

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earl Shive: We paint any car....any color....$99.99....

Johnlodge

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can only be Jared! That's Jared!!!!!!!! The galeria of jewels. (HATE that commercial)

If you own a home, and you need a loan, express mortgage gets you cash in a flash!

I'M ANDY JACOB FROM WORLDWIDE FINANCE! I CAN'T STOP YELLING AT YOU! RAAAAAARRR! NOW I'M GOING TO JAIL FOR FRAUD!!! YARGH!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had completely forgotten about Earl Scheib!

Cdent
Username: Cdent

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a car painted by earl once... only 99.00 .. door handles,window chrome,door locks and all.. but it did shine :-)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 669
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I must be an old fart. I remember when the Earl Scheib on 8 Mile and Van Dyke would paint any car for $19.99

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet today some companies will pay you to paint your car with their advertisement.

The gods must be crazy. :-)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"$29.95, Any Car, Any Color!"

Tkangas_23
Username: Tkangas_23

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun Prince...Wallside Windows

Sirrealone

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current commercial that I can't even watch is the one for, I think it's the Jewelery Factory , where at the end there's a shot with all the employees standing and waving. They're all moving their arms really slow and staring up at the camera. CREEPY!!!!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Bernstein probably holds the record for the most. Remember his very poor computer animated commercials that were on for awhile? One contained a vicious dog.He was apparently going for something "hi-tech" but it was just embarrassing.

56packman

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now Jeffery Feiger has a commercial running where he passionately rants against efforts to rein in trial lawyers (tort reform, long overdue) he spins it as "we lawyers protecting YOUR rights". I expect to hear "America the beautiful" played on strings in the background.

Hey Jeff--you neglected to mention the part where you keep 1/3 to 1/2 of what the plaintiff is awarded.

Oh yeah, and that you only go after deep-pocket defendants. Slip and fall on someone's sidewalk who is poor and see how fast Jeff returns your call.

Thanks for driving up the cost of healthcare, Jeff.

Mallory

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the promo that Channel 7 used to run with the Japanese guys all standing around a camera saying (forgive me) "Rive action camera pe-fected!"? It was to tout the fact that they had a live camera in the field to gather news. For some reason it just sticks in my mind.

That, and the "Stand Up for Detroit" stuff they used to run, with Bill Bonds looking all friendly and caring. The scotch and soda was just out of camera range I guess.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan Ford

With the cowboy character and his dog. I may be a dork, but I was like 5 when those were on TV and I sang along ;)

Hey Dog, C'mon Dog
Me & Dog want you to go to Telegraph Road
Right Now
Get a good deal

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Highland commercial where Q from James Bond projects their ad onto the moon!

56packman

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot this one until now: the Tom Holzer Ford "my family" commercials, with the bottle-blond Connie, her sons and daughters (some of whom have troubled pasts). This commercial crystallizes everything that is wrong with car dealerships: they are dysfunctional family businesses.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman: Yes, the Highland Appliance commercials were produced by the W. B. Doner ad agency and customized for several different retailers. I worked at a video production house in Oak Park that regularly filled these spots known as "cores" with topical price and item inserts.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...some great memories in this thread.

I have two commercials i hear on the radio all time. ADAM (American Divorce Assoc for Men) and FRED (Fathers Right for Equality in Divorce).

Also...866-554-4USA! I know its for some mortgage company but i can't remember the name. American Equity Morgage...the future belongs to yooou!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Romany-888 (something) eyes. That girl sings so bad I want to kill her. And, 800-333-Rock, Rock Financial. If I ever decide to get a mortgage I will NEVER go there.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust your eyes...to Dr. Rahmani...888 808 eyes!

Ugh!

Mallory

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the commercial for "Disco 93?" That's when WDRQ flipped to disco. It played "He's the Greatest Dancer" in the background as the logo came from behind a shot of the Detroit skyline. That lasted for about 6 months. Horrible commercial.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone going to mention that darn god-awful "Cattlemen Meat" commercial where the son and some skank is rapping and the old man proclaims " Nobody beats our meat!" at the end? I guess I'm a little naughty because when the old man says that line at the end I smirk my ass off thinking that he ain't talkin' about the meats hanging that cold ass store!!

56packman

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cattlemen's was a great meat market at the time, until they had the Legionaries disease breakout at the Farmington location--the evaporator cores of the refrigeration machines were breeding lots O' germs.
Too bad, so sad.

Daf
Username: Daf

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, all these posts and no one mentioned:

Town Club Pop is the pop for you,
Try it and you'll see...

Wow.

Why
Username: Why

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, lawd! THEE most tacky commercial was on WGPR for Mr. Fofo's Deli (whoever the hell he was) with Phyllis Hyman singing "Remember Who You Are" in the background. I just knew that woman's ashes were stirring around and smoke was puffing from her urn whenever that commercial was played. I always thought of kelly green Lincolns with aftermarket olive green simulated convertible tops as one of my fondest memories of Detroiters. Just a mis-match from hell.

I had friends from out of the country who referred to this as "Detroit Tacky".

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Caesars -- where the "cook" says "and I'll put it in the oven!"

Smogboy

Post Number: 5570
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately the food at Mr. FoFo's was MUCH MUCH better than the commercial.

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanna see the "Pizza Man" again driving behind that chicken truck! He was hilarious! MORE PIZZA MAN!

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Current spokes-models that make me switch the channel immediately:

• The pinch-faced Art Van Clearance Center lady;
  • Brian Elias for Hanson's windows (he's not as attractive as he seems to think he is);
  • The creepy little old guy on Empire windows/siding/gutter guard ads. Especially the scene where four or five of him are laying carpet, hardwood, etc. His voice is creepy enough but the though of having multiples of him scurrying around the house...
  • Sam Bernstein, Geoff Feiger, any other lawyer;
  • Oh! and any of the drug ads that tell you to ask your physician for a prescription without telling you what their stuff is supposed to do, though I do get amused by the side affects which are usually worse than whatever they're supposed to help.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We're Detroit K-9 Pet Supply- Come on down"

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

President Tuxedo (thanks, Psewick):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ur6spkhwPjk

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.