Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Oh yeah!? Belle Isle Aquarium was first! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The claim that the Nebraska Aquarium are the first to have a shark that gave birth without mating is perhaps a tad premature. The Belle Isle Aquarium holds this honor:
http://belleisleaquarium.com/m edia/2007/sharks_virgin_birth. html

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The National Geographic link on that page seems to confirm that the Nebraska aquarium was first to report a virgin birth of a shark.
quote:

But instead of throwing them out as usual, Sweet [curator of fishes at the Belle Isle Aquarium] left the eggs in the tank for a while because he had heard of a bonnethead shark at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska, thought to have given a virgin birth last year. He eventually transferred the eggs to a separate tank, and 15 weeks after they'd been laid, the eggs hatched, and the mystery of the virgin birth was repeated. http://news.nationalgeographic .com/news/2002/09/0925_020925_ virginshark.html

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected. Thanx.

(Message edited by esteban on May 26, 2007)

Burningwheel
Username: Burningwheel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool. i never knew they had sharks there. i always went for the african cichlids but then again i didn't go very often and now it's closed :-(

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.