Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Music Attraction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this initially on the TOURISM IDEAS thread, and the discussion drifted a bit (as media of this nature tend to do) ... so I wanted to expose this concept to some fresh eyes.

What if there was a downtown Detroit attraction that embraced ALL of the musical history of Detroit in the 20th and 21st centuries?

Not just the Sound of Young America, but Detroit's rich history in gospel, blues, jazz, classical, techno, hip hop and rock. Rekindle the knowledge of Ossip Gabrilowitsch and the early 20th Century rise of the Detroit Symphony, McKinney's Cotton Pickers and all the great jazz cats that came out of Detroit, John Lee Hooker and the blues, the gospel greats Rev. James Cleveland and Aretha Franklin, the various rock sounds that came out of Detroit and its environs (from 50s doo-wop and Jack Scott to all the Motown superstars, Mitch Ryder, the MC5, The Stooges, Bob Seger, the Romantics, all the way to the White Stripes and today's garage resurgence), the birth of techno and the Belleville 3, and the hip hop superstars that hail from the D (Eminem, D12, J Dilla and others).

A multi-media experience combining a Detroit music hall of fame (of sorts), interactive exhibits, cool stuff to see, a cafe, and an intimate performance venue could work downtown and attract both natives and tourists alike ... don't you think?

This would give the City a chance to right the wrong that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame wasn't built here, while creating a diverse attraction that everyone (and their musical tastes) could be proud of.

Would you support something like this, if someone could make it happen in Detroit?

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like another Hard Rock Cafe. No thanks.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Music Museum. Sounds doable. I think that we could one-up Cleveland.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are people working on such an idea, as well as a Detroit/Midwest-centered music festival.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9273
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think every and all institutions and legacys we can produce that continue to forge MUSIC into the minds of everyone when they hear Detroit should be encouraged, but like Redvetred I'd guard against making it too touristy.

The Motown Destination room at Bert's Marketplace, for example, is a fine start...the music festival that Fury13 mentions is another.

I'm thinking 'Austin North' in a way with every venue able to stage a show and enough of a crowd to want to do it every night...with musicians of every creed blending it together in a very Detroit way.

Could be interesting. Welcome Crash67.

Crash67

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13 --

Who is working on such a concept? I'd be curious to be in touch with them.

Redvetred and Gannon --

I'm talking about an actual experiential attraction, not a bunch of stuff on a wall you can look at ... something that compliments the Hard Rock, but doesn't replicate it. The idea would also be to rotate content so that natives would consider repeat visits and impress their out-of-market visiting friends, etc. A uniquely Detroit-entity that takes the best of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Experience Music Project with an eating area and performance space that keeps the overall vibe "alive."

An eclectic music festival could also be a way to bring attention to such a bricks and mortar venture as well, or even serve as an annual fundraiser prior to opening and continue as an ongoing benefit.

Keep the comments coming.

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will start a new topic about the Polish American contribution to Detroit music but I want to add that the CD, "Dom Polski" also pays tribute to the Music Department of Cass Technical High School in Detroit in the 1930s.

Without any question, the best presentation of Polish American music and culture combined with cross over contributions, esp. the accordion from our Italian brethren, it will revive pleasant memories for most in whatever community you were raised in America.

Probably, we would never have enjoyed the accordion but for the Italian pioneering of this instrument.

If anyone knows Ukrainians, they too will be interested as well as Bohemians (Czechs) and Slovaks.

Naturally, Hamtramck and its institutions play its usual prominent part.

The CD is a more impressive vehicle that a book, which I highly recommend that Laurie Gomulka Palazzolo wrote, The Hornman. See her web site:

http://www.hornman-detroit.com /index.cgi?page=Home

For those Polish American urban centers, like Chicago, Milwaukee, Buffalo, and other cities in PA, NY, CT., this CD should well serve as a model to be used in their community.

While the polka is the heart of the Polish American community, the musicians and their education, their sacrifices, and successes are well narrated.

While the CD is probably over 30 years late, especially for old-timers, like Eddie (Skorupski) Shell [owners of profitable building materials; president of American Polish Club in Hamtramck and the Polish Century Club, Detroit], to enjoy, their grandchildren will have a much better appreciation of their contribution not only to Polonia but also to America.

The ladies did a SUPER marvelous job of integrating the contribution of the Polish musicians to America's music and America's leading band leaders for the third and succeeding Polish generations to be proud of their heritage.

However, be warned that the CD is a little over two hours and it may be too rich for one setting. Yet, the CD can be stopped at any time and started at will, at the pleasure of the viewer.

And, because, at times, the narration runs so quickly, it may well be necessary for the CD to be viewed several times for total and complete enjoyment because it is packed full of information that we are not used to receiving in machine-gun fashion.

Finally, music is so universal that it connects all of us spiritually to one and another binding us as human beings, irrespective of ethnicity transcending nationality.

If anyone is truly disappointed with their copy, I will be happy to buy it back. Because I am so convinced of its value, I can easily be so daring.

FULL, TWO-HOUR VERSION OF THE FILM FOR SALE IN DVD AND VIDEOTAPE FORMATS FOR The CD cost $20.00 (Tax included) PLUS $5 S & H for a TOTAL of $25.00.
CHECK OR CASH ONLY FOR FILM SALES—NO CREDIT CARD SALES

CHECK/MONEY ORDER, PAYABLE TO LAURIE PALAZZOLO, TO: Laurie Palazzolo, 32101 Shiawassee Road, Farmington, MI 48336

QUESTIONS: Laurie Gomulka Palazzolo: 248/477-8518 or lauriepalazzolo@hotmail.com

Crash67

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could see perhaps a small gallery devoted to a rotating set of exhibits on the music of the many ethnic groups that make the melting pot of metro Detroit home, but let's get back to the focus of thread, please.

Thanks.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tourists like one-stop 'shops'. While there are many great music attractions throughout the city, most people don't travel to them let alone a tourist. At some central locale there could be a collection of all the sorts that Crash67 mentions. Once one is there then maybe the exhibits could say something like, "to experience more of this particular type of music a good location to visit would be X." For example, if a tourist or local visit were really interested in Jazz it would say go to Baker's Keyboard Lounge, etc. Or for techno it would mention the DEMF and its dates.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is, of course, the Motown Museum, and though it could be much improved, it is good. There was also the Graystone International Jazz Museum, which struggled for nearly two decades and two years ago finally threw in the towel.
The Motown site is really important and should always remain as it is. But a central repository complete with interactive displays a la the R&R Hall of Fame would be awesome. The Henry Ford Museum hosted a Motown exhibit several years back which was really cool - one could remix Motown tunes, and the displays were great. But without serious cash I think we might end up with a virtual Det music repository, which could be pretty neat if it was properly handled.
A side question: is anyone documenting Detroit's role in Techno? There's been one book, but it is important to collect information, artifacts, etc about the music and its practitioners while it is relatively new.
It's always a bit tricky to know who is significant and who is just popular - the twain don't often intersect...but twenty years hence, children will want to know about the scene 'way back in 2007. What will they learn?
Is Det producing no Cultural Historians to look after this music? To document what's goin' on?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg have you read the latest issue of jazz times? Nat Hnetoff has a column on the histories of various cities including Detroit and how it is important to keep those histories alive. He mentions John Conyers.....................yo u ahould send him a book if you have not already.............contact info is in the mag.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and the acoustically perfect United Artists Theatre would be a the perfect Performing Arts Center for such an undertaking! :-)

It has such a hodgepodge of different yet cohesive architectural styles, that it would be the perfect compliment to the hodgepodge of different music styles that were born in Detroit!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, it has always seemed to me that people two thousand miles away in Europe know more about Detroit's contributions to techno than those within the metro area. Where would one start to learn about Detroit Techno? Well, the "Detroit Music Attraction" of course.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, funny you should mention Nat Hentoff. I heard he was invited to attend this year's jazzfest but is too busy reporting on genocides taking place around the world. I'd love to meet him.
Charlottepaul, yes it would be a great thing to have a Det music attraction. And in the UA bldg too, Gistok...what a great combo.

Crash67

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury 13:

I am still curious to know who might be working on a Detroit Musical history attraction concept, as I would be very interested in getting touch with them.

Thanks.

Crash67

Fury13

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash67, e-mail me at digiovanni13@yahoo.com and I'll try to pass on what I know.

Crash67

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury 13:

I sent you a note last Wednesday and haven't heard from you yet. I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Fury13

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it, Crash. I'll answer you soon. Things have been hectic lately.

By the way, upon reading your e-mail, I was a little surprised... we know each other from awhile back. Same employer (at one time, anyway).

(Message edited by Fury13 on June 12, 2007)

Crash67

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury 13:

I'll look forward to your response. My curiosity is piqued.

Crash67

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury 13:

Still waiting on your response ... My curiosity remains piqued.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.