Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Redford High School in the 1970's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redford High School was a terrific school in the 1970's. Academically and athletically, it was a premier public school in Detroit along with Cass Technical High School. The school band, cheerleaders, and especially the Majorettes were very good. A large ratio of the kids went on to college and many went to Division 1 schools like like the University of Michigan and Michigan State University. I went on to Eastern Michigan University after graduating in 1979.

Redford has a long and storied history. It was a very large campus that had a population that hovered around 3,500 students. Many of the teachers really cared. The school colors were red and white and the mascot was the Husky (i.e. Redford Huskies).

Redford also had a lot of kids who partied. Marijuana was readily available. There are many memories of hearing Peter Frampton's "Do you feel like I do?" and the aroma of marijuana permeating the entire front and sides of the campus. It was funny because kids would be getting high with the 16th Precint directly across Grand River, less than 100 yards away.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The colors were red and gray.

Fight for the red and gray
Fight all the way
Go team keep going
We will win today
So get that ball and go down the field
We'll never yield
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT TEAM FIGHT
For the Red and Gray
FIGHT.

Yeah, I learned to smoke dope under the bleachers on Chapel.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the correction on the colors! Great note on the song as well. Remember the Blazer school newspaper?

Regarding the bleachers, I assume you are referring to the football field bleachers. A lot of pot smoking went on during football games. Also on Chapel was the unusual Old Redford Library were I'd make out with my girlfriend while standing on the outside.

When I had the munchies, I enjoyed eating cheeseburgers (with onions) at Albert's on Burgess and Grand River.

On the east side of campus, we used to hang out near the teacher parking lot and we had always keep an eye out and duck the teachers.

Also on the west side of the campus, there was a cool party store at the southeast corner of Westbrook and Grand River.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 9th grade Algebra teacher in 1975 changed my life. He was sort of strict. Anyone remember his name? Remember the likeable but matronly black lady who taught 11th or 12th grade something or another. Anyone remember the Principals name in the late 70's?

I wish I still had the 1979 yearbook - I lost mine years ago. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could scan part of it for me.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blazer was the yearbook. The Outpost was the newspaper. I was the entertainment editor for a couple excruciating years.

I grew up in that neighborhood, first in Old Redford, then in a house on Chapel a couple blocks behind the high school. I can't remember the name of that party store and I should because my brother worked there for a while. Dammit.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the twins Leonia and Leona Lloyd?

Leonia and Leona both became judges in the 36th District Court in Detroit in the early 1990's.

Judge Leonia Lloyd is very well liked. Here is a Free Press article and picture of her:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061220/NEW S02/103160004

Unfortunately, her sister Judge Leona Lloyd died a few years ago.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom and Dad both graduated from Redford in 1939. Somewhere around the house I still have that yearbook. Had I not gone to a private school I would have graduated from there in 67.

Spent many a summer afternoon at Redford's pool, in the 60s.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pamequus--My father graduated in the class of 1940 (winter), and as we have previously discussed, lived in the 7 mile/Evergreen.
My aunt met and married her highschool sweetheart from Redford, he became a star player in the 1960 World Series winning Pittsburg Pirates and his picture hung in the lobby for years. neighborhood. My older sisters went to Redford,
as did a lot of my friends. I would have gone had we not moved to the suburbs before then.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the correction regarding Redford school publications. Is there a chance you have access to the 1979 yearbook?

I lived in south Rosedale Park near the Grandland Shopping Center. Graduated Peter Vetal Elementary 1975.

Pamequus

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 Packman ....Bet our parents knew each other.....small world isn't it??

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Redford from 1970 to 1974. During my 1st 3 years Mr. Rosenau was principal then upon his retirement Mr. Greene. Mr. Ben Meckler was another asst princicpal I believe. Now it's slated to be closed by the school board.
I have a question about the football field: on the old scoreboard it was named Sawyer Field.I wonder who it was named for?

Eric_w

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Redford from 1970 to 1974. During my 1st 3 years Mr. Rosenau was principal then upon his retirement Mr. Greene. Mr. Ben Meckler was another asst principal I believe. Now it's slated to be closed by the school board.
I have a question about the football field: on the old scoreboard it was named Sawyer Field.I wonder who it was named for?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Redford High School, we had great football and track teams in the 70's. The Head Coach was Lafayette Evans (we called him "laf"), who I hear is still with Detroit Public Schools in an administrative capacity. The assistant coach drove a cool corvette.

In the mid 70's we had a quarterback who was very good, whose name escapes me right now. The teams had great players and won the PSL a time or two along with Cass Technical (Huckleby at running back). Some football players were Fred Brockington (played a little pro ball) at receiver and Ralph Clayton at Running Back. In track we had Monty "fleetwood" callender who ran the 440 yard dash and placed in the state finals (1977 or 1978). That same year, with Monty running the last leg, Redford set the Michigan record in the mile-relay (440 x 4) at around 3 minutes 16 seconds or so. Monty went on to College on a track scholarship in California, Fresno State I think.

Other athletes that I remember were:
- Julius Clayton
- Daryl Lundy (currently is the Detroit Director of Homeland Security)
- Keith Blevins
- Walter w. Williams (academic scholar as well)
- Douglas Williams (walter's older brother)
- Arthur Anderson (aka AD)
- Fred Watson (QB)
- Ahmed Lyle
- Walter (Keith) Neal (aka the "Tune-Up Man", now a famous radio DJ at 105.9 Kiss FM)
- Walter Jones
- Dennis Johnson
- James Woods
- Randall Woodson
- Melvin Matthews

Eric_w

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During my years there the star athlete was Clarence Chapman ( Class of 1972 ) 3 sport star in track ,football & basketball. He was a great sprinter and won the state title in long jump & the 100. He played football at EMU & played in the NFL. He was an original Michigan Panther in 1983 when they won the first USFL Title.
Back then track was pretty big in the PSL & in his junior year a meet between Redford & Northern was a big one because Clarence faced off against a big star Marshall Dill-there were close to a 900 people at the meet.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3552
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sucked in the late seventies.
Never saw Mr. Greene. He never came out of his office, if indeed, he was actually there.
No graphic arts classes in the new graphic arts wing...(no money, but money for Alonzo Bates 1st class trips and school board members limousines)
Did have some good teachers.
Did figure out that the system was run by corrupt ineffective idiots.
Valuable lesson: Distrust of authority.
Voted in my first election there, Nov. '79
Most memorable class: photo, 12th grade, during the Iranian Hostage Crisis.
Visualize various blowhards, discussing why to nuke all of Iran.
A quiet voice of the girl who sat next to me:
"My Father's a hostage in the embassy. Do you guys want to nuke him too?"

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the 80s I always heard people talk about 'Big Red'. And throughout that time I didn't know what they were talking about until the early 90s-Redford HS. Now anyone who graduated from there in recent years calls it 'Red Dog(s)'. I was going to work @ Redford until I was sent to work @ Henry Ford HS-I knew about the rivalr(ies) before I put in for a transfer @ either location. But I've had the pleasure of meeting a young man from Redford HS named Copperyale 'Manny' Harris who was either point guard or power forward for the Huskies basketball team. I saw this kid play in person-HE'S GOING STRAIGHT 2 THE NBA I'm certain-I even have the issue of Rise magazine with him on the cover. He'll be going to UofM next year if I'm not mistaken. But with the storied history of Redford, I really hope that DPS reconsiders closing it cause it's gonna be a mess if/when the students come to Ford HS. BTW, I took some pix of Redford recently and that is a beautiful building but I went in there last summer and I was amazed at its beauty in its main corridor. Redford is/was a crown jewel of beauty. I'll post some pix later on.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5180
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still dumbfounded that they're closing Redford as opposed to Cooley. I wonder what the rationale was for that.

Waxx

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pix as promised. I was @ work when I wrote the last thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/507434615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/507434601/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/507434637/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/507434627/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/507434629/

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarification regarding the twins Leonia and Leona Lloyd - they were not students at Redford High School. Leonia was a very well liked Assistant Teacher and her sister Leona simply was frequently around. Leonia was a very hip young woman at the time who became good friends with many of the students. She was studying Law at Wayne State University at night school. This was during the 1974 - 1976 time period.

Eric_w:
Through my older brothers I remember hearing of Marshall Dill, and vaguely recall Clarence Chapman. I arrived at RHS in 1975. I remember Mr. Greene but not sure about Mr. Ben Meckler. Very sorry to hear that RHS is slated to be closed. Regarding the name "Sawyer Field" on the scoreboard of the football field, I had not even noticed that oddity.

Waxx:
Great pictures - they bought back memories indeed.

Eric_w

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Never saw Mr. Greene. He never came out of his office, if indeed, he was actually there"
That would be accurate-he was not one to mingle & talk to students like his predecessor.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question, of sorts, from Smogboy: I'm still dumbfounded that they're closing Redford as opposed to Cooley. I wonder what the rationale was for that.

I can answer that. Cooley has the old Dexter Trainable school in part of the building (as well as inclusion for the kids in choir, band, etc). They sunk so much cash into bringing half the building up to code a few years ago (complete with brand new elevator and air conditioning..but only in Cooley North) that they won't close Cooley. We are SUPPOSED to be ONE school, but that isn't the reality of the situation. They have their own administration, rules, etc.

BTW, my youngest aunt was valedictorian of Redford Class of 75. Mom and another aunt went there. Mom graduated in 66 and the aunt in 68. Dad also graduated from Redford Class of 59.

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Detroit, on Braile St. three houses behind the ice cream store, and went to Redford from Fall of '69 to Summer of '71. Being part of the artsy crowd, I was involved in the art department, choir, drama, and The Outpost (cartoonist.) Mr. Moore ran the paper. Mr. Moldovan the English and drama departments, Louie Sykes on piano in the music room.
The drama productions during that period were Guys and Dolls, Arsenic and Old Lace, Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd.
The party store (and when I call them that here in Brooklyn people scratch their heads) closed in the very early '70s, but returned as Louie Dumbrowski's Sweet Shop (some folks get it, some don't) for a brief period. And speaking of brief periods, I worked at Bet and Jessie's Fish on Grand River. The guy was such a monster I took me first week's pay and quit. What was the name of the drugstore at that corner? And the name of the sandwich shop on the next block? Great grinders.
Koko
Greg Theakston

56packman

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paintprint--my family lived on Braille between Clarita and Pickford. Did you go to Holcomb?
We moved in '69

Pamequus

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PAINT... I lived on Patton, two blocks South of Pickford, across the street from Marion Park. I think they call it something else now but it was Marion Park when I was there. It was named after the deceased daughter of the man who donated the land.

Eric_w

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paint
Mr. Tony's Submarines-the had great roast beef hoagies and alway a 2 for 1 coupon in the paper. Someone I knew streaked it in 1974 & got busted by the police!
Schnellbach's was the drugstore.

Waxx

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently had some Prince's Pizza (you could say it's) next door 2 Redford HS. I ordered my pizza the same day I took those pix.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was Redford like in the 70's in terms of student demographics and the like?

Middle class, working class or poor? Black, white, or a roughly even mix? Was it on a downward trend in terms of performance or still holding up?

My mom taught at Ford during the late 70's and said the school got steadily worse year after year, despite the relatively solid surrounding neighborhood. Even today, the neighborhoods surrounding Redford and Ford don't look all that bad, especially compared to nearby neighborhoods. I guess school decline precedes neighborhood decline, probably because students are being bused from worse neighborhoods, which eventually continues the cycle of disinvestment.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a couple of other good athletes in 74-75 whose last names were Carpenter and Stokely. Also, Ralph Clayton (RHS 76 or 77 I think) went on to the University of Michigan and then had a short NFL career.

The gymnasium was odd with the running track on the second floor and curving in to the inside of the track. I did not think the outdoor track around the football field was very well made or maintained though. The football field bleachers were a lot of fun to hang out on. Unlike me, a lot of students had cars, so the parking lot was often a mess.

Crawford:
Middle class, working class or poor?
All of the above, but primarily working class.

Black, white, or a roughly even mix?
Transitioned from majority White to Black during the 70's

Was it on a downward trend in terms of performance or still holding up?
Not sure, but I know there were a few National Merit Scholars and a lot of Honor Roll students.

On the Arts side of things, the school band was good in my opinion and well respected. Students were either into school or not, just like everywhere else. In the late 70's the student population was so large that we had to attend classes in "shifts". One year I was on the second shift and my school class hours were from 11am until about 4pm. Study hall on the second floor was a joke though because no one ever studied in there. But that is sort of typical to many schools I think.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman - If you don't mind me asking, who exactly did your Aunt marry? As a baseball fan, I'm not aware of anyone from the 1960 Pirates having a Detroit/Redford connection although Bill Virdon was born in Hazel Park.

Ookpik

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paintnprint,

Mr. Moldovan was my English teacher during my 12th grade in 1986 at Renaissance. He was a very good teacher.

56packman

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik--my aunt married (Redford alumni)
Hal Smith, catcher for the 1960 Pirates. He hit the second-to-last home run in the final game, Bill Mazeroski hit the homer that won the game and the series.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things were always better in the past, weren't they?

Eric_w

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Hal Smith, catcher for the 1960 Pirates. He hit the second-to-last home run in the final game "
As I remember his picture was in a Baltimore Oriole uniform.
As for being "better" I guess we look back thru rose colored glasses.

56packman

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes we are just Rose colored asses

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mr. Moore teaches in Grosse Pointe.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Redford in '97... They just had an alumni game a couple weeks back. It was packed.

The Final Walk Through the Halls
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Redford High School
10:00 am – 2:00 pm

All Years Alumni Picnic
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Redford High School Grounds
12:00pm - 7:00pm
Bring your own grill, food, etc
There will be a DJ, Games, Fun, etc.

Old School Reunion Cabaret
Saturday, August 25, 2007
9:00 pm – 2:00 am
Michigan National Guard Armory
3030 McGraw @ Grand River
$10.00 admission

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit:
Sounds like a funeral. This is hard to believe. Who is sponsoring these 3 events?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redford High School will be gone soon. It would be wonderful if some caring individual were to take and share photographs of the interior and exterior of RHS before it is too late. This would be a great service to many people. I cannot as I do not live in Michigan.

I've often read DYES posts stating that it is fortunate when photographs have been taken before landmarks and institutions disappear.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on June 04, 2007)

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its stunningly heartbreaking to see Redford High School closing. I am heartbroken and I didnt even attend that school but had dozens of friends who did. Its so sad to see things crumble so badly in Detroit. Its just devastating. I never thought Id see the day.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Redford High School Alumni is sponsoring the events

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A group has filed lawsuit to keep Redford High School (and seven other Detroit schools) open.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070606/METRO 01/706060341/1006

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the Redford High School Alumni have a website, email contact, or telephone number?

UPDATE --> http://www.redfordalumniassoci ation.com/

(Message edited by vetalalumni on June 13, 2007)

Waxx

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a Google search. I did one last year and the site I was on I was there for a few hours. Like one individual stated earlier in the thread, Redford HS has a storied history behind it. to answer your question, it did the last time I heard.....

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found these Redford High School Reunion announcements on Freep.com:

Redford High School 30-Year Class Reunion
Class of 1977
July 7th, 2007
Kensington Metro Park
Milford, MI 48380
- 11:00am to 9:00pm
- $10 per family
- Meet at the West Boat Launch Shelter
- Pot Luck
- RSVP to Todd at arthurputey@sbcglobal.net

Redford High School Class of 1967, January and June graduates. Aug. 17. Embassy Suites, Livonia. $60 includes buffet dinner with cash bar. 248-646-8134 or sandi911@comcast.net

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YO.....anyone of you Huskies remember Ford Henwood? Class of 61? He vanished from sight right after attending MSU.......????

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Art Teacher in the 1970's named Mr. Gelberman? Word has it he is still there after all these years!

47to86
Username: 47to86

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni and oldredfordette

Redford's paper: the Outpost
let's make it clear from the outset that I'd love to share these copies of the paper with whoever wants them.
Now let's talk about some of the complications. At the moment, I have uncovered all the issues from September, 1970 through the last issue of the 1976-77 school year. That's seven years times 8 issues per year times 8 pages per issue. Each page is 11 x 14 so two scans would be necessary for each page unless someone has a super scanner. I calculate about 900 scans.
It might be possible to take digital pictures of each page. That would reduce the number to about 450.
So, let's hear from you. Ideas? Suggestions?

OldRedfordette. Are you up to specifying the year's you worked on the paper?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

47to86:
Thanks for your enthusiasm. IMO, digital photographs of the Outpost would be less than optimal visually.

Scanning the Outpost:
How about starting from the oldest Outpost issue and working forward as time permits?

Host location for Outpost scans:
Might consider placing the Outpost scans somewhere other than DYes. Then post a link here in DYes to the selected location of the Outpost scans. Potential free sites to place the Outpost scans include Yahoo Groups and Flickr. With either of these two options, you would maintain control.

47to86
Username: 47to86

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scanning the pages will work fine and they can be stitched in software to look like the real thing. Takes a while though. I'm guessing 1 1/2 hours an issue based on the one page that's done.

I have a digital SLR that can capture sharp images. I will do a little experimenting since it would be much faster given a good setup.

Offline for a few days. The great north (michigan) beckons and we don't have internet service there.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I located the 1975 Redford High School (RHS) yearbook, The Blazer, and the memories flooded back. Mr. Greene was the Principal and Mrs. Posner and Mrs. Boyce were my Guidance Counselors. There was Mr. Gray the security guard with the small afro.

In the 1974 - 1975 school year, RHS was the Detroit City Champs (PSL) in Varsity Football (17 game win streak) and Girls Swimming. Both the Boys and Girls Golf teams went undefeated.

Some of my teachers were:
-> Mr. Kane - Architectural Drafting
-> Mr. Samuels - Mechanical Drafting
-> Mr. Pearce and Mr. Beattie - Math
-> Mr. Evans, Mr. Ginger, and Mr. Walters - Gym.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a scan of the Table of Contents of the 1975 Redford High School (RHS) yearbook, The Blazer.

And here is a larger and clearer version of it. http://i16.tinypic.com/4yako7r.jpg

Here is a scan of the Centennial News Supplement of the 1975 Redford High School (RHS) yearbook, The Blazer.

And here is a larger and clearer version of it. http://i19.tinypic.com/6asoqkk.jpg

(Message edited by vetalalumni on June 26, 2007)

Waxx

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni, I am impressed with the way you keep up with your community's history. Those articles, though before my time, were worth reading.

BTW, to those who have memories of RHS, I was in the area recently and I snapped some photos. Check 'em out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635673797/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635673771/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635673741/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635673683/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635424221/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635424253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/635424101/

I plan to have some more posted.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx:
Thank you for sharing the photographs. Anxiously awaiting more (i.e. different angles, complete structures, etc...).

Also, across the street in front of the old 16th precinct is a "horn" with an 8-ball underneath it. If you can manage, please take photographs of that as well?

Eric_w

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing the pics of the old clocks-I heard a story that Willie Horton hit a foul ball once that hit the facade where the clocks were way back when he was playing ball for Northwestern High. Inside there were stairways going from the ground to the third floor off the indoor track. For conditioning we often ran those 20-30 times when working out for football ,track or baseball.
Vetal-
That picture on the front of the Centennial News looks like former basketball coach George Ginger when he was a Redford student-is it him?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_w:
That probably is Mr. Ginger on both front pages - I'll check.

I also have the photographs of Mr. Fenby (music), Mr. Sykes (band), Coach Silberstein (Baseball), and Coach Nancy Jewett.

56packman

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene Fenby was a fixture in the local musical education scene. A friend of mine who graduated in the class of '68 remembers a band class where one of the kids in band didn't really get the division of note values in a given time signature. Fenby sat at his desk and beat out every note value with a different limb, then layered triplets on top by holding a pencil in his mouth and rhythmically tapping against the desk with it!
The Detroit public school band teachers had a band that played for society gigs back when.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 481
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photograph of the front of the Detroit Police 16th Precinct (that was formerly) directly across the street from Redford High School. The unusual "8-ball horn" referred to earlier is there in the left foreground.

Waxx

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/667701740/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/667701730/
(I did more than one negative version of this facade @ the back entrance so I don't want 2 bore y'all with various negatives)

I'll have more soon.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx:
Thanks for the photographs.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scans of the 9 full page business advertisements in the 1975 Redford High School yearbook, The Blazer, are here:

56packman

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalum-thanks, that was a trip down memory lane of all the businesses we used to either shop at or walk past.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.