Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Where can I go to interact with intelligent people in Metro Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kickinit
Username: Kickinit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I woke up the other day and realized I've drifted apart from a lot of my friends. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get together with some relatively young and intelligent people. Are there any groups to join? Any meetings to attend?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are intelligent people involved in many different activities.

Which activities are you interested in?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your a day late maybe next month http://www.detroitguerrillas.c om/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Synergy
http://www.detroitsynergy.org/

Kickinit
Username: Kickinit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks the detroit synergy sounds good.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3619
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

playdatedetroit.com

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see you Dave today Kathleen. Let me know if you find any interesting spots to meet folks for conversation.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9155
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you are all invited to the Bohemian National Home for a cup of espresso to spark your synapses. No guarantees on the intelligence level of the conversation, though, but it will always be interesting!

It will evolve into some form of hangout over the next year. Please call first.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, what the heck is a "Bohemian National Home"? Is a business? Your house? An old folks' home?

I've tried to ignore this thread, as I felt the title to be arrogant. There are a lot of intelligent folks in this city. You just need to reach out and make friends. Attend lectures, go to the library, or take some classes.

Gannon

Post Number: 9159
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd cite Wikipedia, but some won't take that as reference...heh. For the record, though, you are absolutely correct. It is a business and apparently a selective old folks' home, and now it is my house, too. John Sinclair is our poet-in-residence, he's like my personal 'Socrates' when he's in country.

The BoHouse is a 95-year-old building that used to be the recreation and social center for the Eastern Europeans when they came over for Detroit jobs.

My friend has been restoring it for some time now, and you will be hearing more about things there as the year develops. Auditorium can fit five hundred or more comfortably, including a killer balcony.

It is my new residence...and I'm almost unpacked from my impromptu move. Finally found my espresso machine.

Y'all are welcome, just call first! If you know how to tune a piano (and perhaps help rebuild the player mechanism in the cool 53-inch Ellington Upright I just nabbed), all the better.

Cheers

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bohemi an-national-home-detroit

Gannon

Post Number: 9160
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Pam, thanks for that.

It will NEVER be low-fi while I'm around, though.

Nobody will EVER complain about the sound system again! We are working on the acoustics in the main and library room...glad you found those reviews because I was puzzling how they got ANY decent sound in that square room!

Filling the walls with random diffusers is the key, and walls FULL of books is a great way to do it...but they are unfortunately gone now.

Lots in the works...pretty exciting time to be in that good spirits-filled place.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I get it...now. In my mind's eye, I imagined a place with a bunch of elderly folks sitting around in rocking chairs. ;-)

Silly me.

Gannon

Post Number: 9162
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I brought my rocking chair.

Need a clawfoot tub, though, 4 or 5 feet...although this long-distance jogger would prefer the longer one to stretch out and soak in.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.