Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Scanning slides « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While going through some old files at work recently, I found a pile of old projector slides. I brought them home and tried to scan a few but they came out blurry. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the scans? I've googled it and I may need a transparent materials adapter (TMA). Not too familiar with that so any help is appreciated.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4298
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to photo kiosks for awhile, but I bet that they have a slide function to put them on DVD.
If not, this cheap flatbed scanner online has that function, plus .PDF capability.

tigerdirect

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 708
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm blown away by the quality of my Dad's Kodachrome slides....60's digital !

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23 just a quick question? we have many negatives from larger camera's I think 4x5, 8x10 any suggestions for those?
by the way thanks for that link I have two scanners and the extra's for film are outrageous in price so I have been putting this huge task on hold . But 99.00 for all is almost a go.

Yeah to Kodachrome Bongman

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no luck getting quality digital photos from slides scanned on a flatbed scanner, even on those that advertised that they would scan slides. So, I got a dedicated slide and negative scanner (the Konica-Minolta DiMage). I've probably scanned 600-700 35mm and other slides, and am very happy with the quality. I have at least that many left to do. Unforutnately, Minolta left the consumer photographic market 2-3 years ago, so that is no longer available. There are others out there today, though.

If you're not going to do a ton of slides, then you could look into places that will do it for you. If you Google "convert slides to digital images" you'll get a lot of hits.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4319
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was thinking, if they only have a handful of slides that they want to save, why spend $250 ? The other option is professional, but make sure they aren't using what you could have bought online for $99.

Isle_of_fun - I'm the last person you want to ask, I've crashed more photos than most people have saved. :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7976
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the input, somehow :-) I've several thousand slides in my collection that I would love to edit and digitalize.

Over 1/2 my life I was a Professional photographer, but for personal reasons, I stopped, and didn't keep up with the changes in technology. And that makes me a dinosaur in the field.

Even my vacations were busman's holiday,I generally took a brick of 20 36exp of slide film and 10-20 rolls of 120 B&W for a 2 week vacation.

An aside: a few years ago, a thread like this would be in Non-Detroit. Thanks for finding a way to share this type of info.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's OK Jams. I've still got my Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic II, with screw mount lenses. I don't get it out of the bag very often anymore, though.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked a co-worker for some recommendations and he said to take the film out of the plastic carrier and scan it that way. Well, I did that and it wasn't much better. Now that my dad is retired, I've asked him to see if he has an old slide projector buried in the basement. I also looked for one at the Sal this weekend with no luck. I may break down and buy a slide converter, when I get the money of course. Thanks for all the info.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to scan my Moms slides eventhough they are of the 64 Worlds Fair in NYC.I really have to learn how to use my scanner first.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5471
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've scanned some of my dad's slides from the 1950s on my Epson scanner with good results. The hardest part is keeping everything dust free so that I don't have to do so much touch up work. Another problem, mainly from my limited processing experience, is correcting for color shifts as many of the blues are going violet on the oldest slides.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The slides on these threads were all scanned using my HP Scanjet G4050.

It includes a Transparent Materials Adapter that is capable of scanning (16) 35 mm slides or (30) 35 mm negative frames at a time. The included software allows for adjustment of colors and dust/scratch correction. I scanned all of those slides while they were in their cardboard mounts. I would advise against removing the mounts for scanning. So far, I'm very pleased with my HP G4050.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.