Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Buying a Refurbished Computer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 843
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking about taking advantage of a deal from buy.com on a factory refurbished laptop. Has anyone ever bought a factory refurb computer before, and if so, have you run into any issues with it?

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a refurbished Mac from the mac store, also got the 3 year warranty with it , 16 months ago. Have only called for help twice and they were excellent in helping. I have no idea about buy.com,' but I do know that the warranty is as important as the purchase in regards to a laptop.(more things happen to a laptop)
My keyboard cover has split and it will be fixed soon for free, I was told that that is common do to stress ...
but I have no idea how common it is , I only know that mine split.
I am very Happy with my Mac , I worked hard for it ... I would buy another.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven’t dealt with buy.com since they refused to honor their rebate for a memory card I bought from them. The company that made the card went out of business, and buy.com wouldn’t honor the rebate terms (even though it was a but.com rebate, not a manufacturer rebate). I Emailed them several times but never received any response. In checking around the Internet I discovered many others had the same problem. That was about 2 years ago and I have not dealt with buy.com since.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 844
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've purchased numerous items from buy.com in the past, and therefore I am not really concerned about the store itself. My chief concern is possibly buying an HP laptop that is refurbished as a result of being turned in as a lemon previously. If folks have bought refurbished computers without any major issues (seems like every new computer has to be sent in for repair at least once), then I will feel more comfortable about this purchase. Also, does the standard 1 year manufacturer's waranty still apply to refurbs?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have bought three computers from the Dell Outlet -- www.dell.com/outlet

I have averaged 40% savings over the same system from the new products--even after accounting for coupons and free shipping.

One computer looked brand new; the second had a slight blemish on the the front of the case and some fingerprints; the laptop had a scratch on a speaker cover and what looked like cigarette ash covering a portion of the other speaker. Other than that, the systems have worked as if they were new.

All of the outlet computers and laptops have the same warranty as their new computers.

You do have to shop around the outlet site to get the best deals. One day a system could be $700, the next $500.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5999
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband fixes Macs and knows alot about them - we only have refurbs and have had no trouble with any of them. If you go to the Apple site on Wednesday mornings - like about 3am - you'll find fantastic deals. So if you're looking at Macs (and why wouldn't you?) that would be your best bet.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've purchased 2 refurbished computers and have had NO problems in 2 years. One is an HP and the other is an Acer. Both came with 1 year warranties, which is what prompted me to buy them. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, does your husband have any contact info for his Mac repair business?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 485
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a refurbished pc from Tiger direct with no problems. Oldredfordette Id be interested in getting a mac repaired as well

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also purchased a refurbished pc from Tiger Direct and am happy with the price, product and performance. The hp laptop looked almost new. Representatives couldn't have been nicer.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 6005
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can write my husband at bigrafx at yahoo.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Oldredfordette. Email sent.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 6006
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll hear from him tomorrow probably.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.