Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Questions about Urban Planning Degree? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone on here go to U of M for their MUP?

I have some questions about it, if you do.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. MUP '99.

Jeduncan

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think it would be impossible to work full time and carry a full time load there? The advisors seem to think it's impossible, but I've always worked/schooled full time.

I could use some input from someone who has been through their program, rather than someone who runs it.

Thanks

Ro_resident

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have to agree, base on my experience. Unless, of course, your employer has an incredible amount of flexibility.

During the first year, nearly all of the core classes are only offered from ~9 am to 4 pm Monday through Thursday.

During the second year, most students will spend the bulk of at least one semester on a capstone project. The capstone project will involve travel for site visits and a lot of studio time putting your project together.

So the program isn't very friendly for part-time students or people who wish to work full time. Only a handful of classes are offered in the evening.

I worked 20 hours per week as a grad student. That was about as much as I could handle.

(Message edited by Ro_resident on March 26, 2009)

Jeduncan

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just have to find a way to make due, I suppose. I'll see how the first semester goes... if work ends up being a major hindrance, then I guess work will have to suffer -- my education at Michigan comes first.

What was your capstone? Do you feel that Michigan was worth the exorbitant price they charge for it?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graduating next month, UofM MUP concentrating in transportation and physical planning (aka urban design)

I work 25 hours a week and it can be difficult at times. The first year is somewhat demanding. Hopefully you can scale back to part time without sacrificing benefits and income.

I just finished my capstone. It was difficult, but I learned quite a bit.

I'm attending the event coming up where they greet all the incoming students. Hopefully you can have some more questions answered.

Jeduncan

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll meet you there, Wolverine. I'll be the dude with the sideburns.

believe me. You'll know me when you see me.

Ro_resident

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in an unusual position compared to most other MUP students. I was able to secure graduate student research assistantships for 4 of 5 semesters I went to school. The GSRAs paid tuition plus a stipend.

My second year GSRA lead to a Transportation Research Record publication with Prof. Levine and a couple other students.

I also did a two semester capstone with a neighborhood redevelopment group in Detroit.

You can download a copy of the report here:
http://sitemaker.umich.edu/urp outreachreports/urban_design__ _physical_planning__u_&mode=si ngle&recordID=55289&nextMode=l ist

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really not too difficult to secure financial aid. Almost everyone is offered some form of aid, but becoming a research assistant or instructor is definitely the best way to offset all your college costs. Of course, there are also scholarships offered throughout the year from various organizations.

See you there Jeduncan. The University is paying me to take photos, so I'll be pretty noticeable as well with a big camera.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.