Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Paging JAMS! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were over Cub's today and dropped off some 2 liter pop bottles for your garden project.

If more are needed, we will continue to save them for you :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7949
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you.

I picked up more seeds at ACO today, 5 different basils, 3 different parsleys, 2 Tarragons.

The city required me to tear down the screen house attached to my garage. :-( I'll be using some of the cedar lumber as the supports for the branches I collected and cut to size that will hold those bottles.

Every thing in this project except for the seeds, soil, and the screws and bolts/nuts are recycled materials.

I'll have 25-30 different herb plants in a space of 1 1/2'by 4'.

I'll expect recipes from you on the food thread:-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome buddy!

WOW I had no idea there were different basils, parsley I knew about. Not sure how to spell it, but in Hungarian parsley is pronounced "petchiesham."

If you like Tabouli Salad - I have a killer of a recipe to use up some of that petchiesham! :-)

Jams

Post Number: 7951
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, you're a Magyar?

I'm 1/2 from my Mom, I think she still might have some paprika seeds from my uncle in Szged.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3935
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My step father is Hungarian. My step grandparents used to speak the language in the home and I picked up a few words here and there throughout the years listening to relatives talk. My dad still refers to parsley as petchiesham. He always has it growing just outside the doorway for quick use in cooking anything!

Hummm...paprika seeds? Are you going to plant those? I can honestly say I've never seen a paprika plant. We do use lots of sweet as well as hot Hungarian paprika in our cooking. In fact, my mom was just talking about it last night. She picked up some tins to send to a cousin out in LA. She can't find it out there.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 845
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sell herbs at a local market. My favorite though, is pineapple sage. It is an annual that grows large quickly, smells and tastes just like pineapple and has beautiful red plume flowers in fall. I use dried leaves as a tea or just crush leaves and toss into water for a taste treat.

One of my favorite cooking herbs is Rosemary. But to be honest, what is a good culinary use for Tarragon?

Jams

Post Number: 7952
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarragon goes well with fish or poultry, it has a licorice flavour, but not as strong as anise

I like to grill whitefish on the BBQ with a bit of olive oil and tarragon sprinkled on it.

I have a recipe for chicken in a tarragon and white wine sauce, I'll find and share with you on the recipe thread.

Paprika plants have a fruit that look very similar to green tomatoes. I've never processed them myself, but would like to.

Jams

Post Number: 7953
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I love tarragon infused vinegar to make my salad dressing.

Jams

Post Number: 7954
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll also share my recipe for Tarragon wine jelly, so good on a turkey sandwich.

In fact, for your flyers, wine jellies would be a great recipe for many herbs.

ps. my screen name came from not music but from the fact I made 15 or 16 different jams and jellies the year I bought my first computer.

Ohhh, I want some of my peach/raspberry melba flavoured with sherry for the Greek bread.

Jams

Post Number: 7961
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Eriedearie do you know the Hungarian word for "wooden spoon"?

My cousins and I still take childish delight in the use of it, and we're all late 40s to mid 50s.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3937
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aahhhh yes! wooden spoon...we always got a laugh outta that one too.

"f&*k a nal"!

What about "bouge'a lottie"? Know that one? LOL - That's what me and mom and my sisters call ours :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.